Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #61
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
It's much too slow and simple to keep my interest, I'm disappointed. Fun game, but very noticeable as a part of a package deal not worthy of a standalone release. I'm glad Valve is selling it as such, this is no juggernaut instant-classic TF release. Feels like Valve was aiming for a stripped down, straight forward expression of TF with amazing graphics and presentation, and they've definitely achieved that.

Unfortunately they've ratcheted the gameplay back too far. It just feels so pedestrian.. The respawn delay and lack of speed and movement wipes out any hope of balance in CTF and I'm not a fan of the DoD cap point stuff in a Fortress game. It's a fun lil game though.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #62
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
crashes to desktop when I try to bring up the scoreboard
Same.. I was astounded when it crashed on that my first time playing.. That's one more time than FF has crashed on me in recent memory.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #63
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

I think some of the new secondary weapons they seem to have - like a shovel is cool. But no grenades, and the way yall are making the overall movement seem to be, I think I can safely say I wont play TF2.. I like my bhopping lol.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #64
DarkReaver13

TF2 is really good. It looks amazing and it's damn funny, but it does feel a bit slow and not quite as well balanced as FF.

I can play FF seemingly endlessly because it's fast paced and addictive, but TF2 doesn't seem to hold my interest for as long, so yes I think FF is better as far as gameplay goes, and I think it is also better suited for clan/competitive play.

I don't think it's fair to bash TF2 so much though, it's very enjoyable.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #65
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
It's a fun lil game though.
Well you hit the nail on the head with that statement.
I've come to the realization that that's exactly what TF2 is.
Can't see serious, hardcore, elite clans getting in on this game.

My lil nephew will find TF2 totally thrilling.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #66
s0undch4s3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [StatisticZ]
I think some of the new secondary weapons they seem to have - like a shovel is cool. But no grenades, and the way yall are making the overall movement seem to be, I think I can safely say I wont play TF2.. I like my bhopping lol.
Yea..there's no comparing the 2 games...they're so different. FF is TF on steroids (non stop heavy metal mayhem) and TF2 is for people that like to take a few drags off their cigarette while waiting to spawn.

TF2 should not be called TF2...it should be called Circle Jerk's and the Fun House Follies.

Last edited by s0undch4s3r; 09-18-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #67
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

From what I've heard so far, TF2 seems more of a kids game. Simpler gameplay and cartoon graphics, I bet alot of kids will love it. That's great, but not for me. I was expecting a masterpeice of a TF game from Valve after all this time and they kinda failed on that it seems. Oh well... I saved 40 bucks at least.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #68
ajniN

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit
I don't have a problem with peoples personal preference - I've been playing FF since it was released, and wasn't even a TFC fan. I've no problems whatsoever with accepting the fact people will obviously have a natural bias towards something they've been playing for the last X number of years, and I find it inviting that the developers are so grounded when it comes to their communities needs.

However, childish attacks aren't apart of being a fan of a game. It is possible to coexist with both games, or just accept that it isn't your cup of tea - not try to pass off opinions as though they were fact. That is what's annoying, and I think I've got just as much right as anyone else to express that on a forum. I don't bash FF, and I don't unfairly support TF2 - I simply defend it when people have cheap shots at it.

I guess I'm expecting the better in people to surface, and I know it's there because there's been an increase in maturity when it comes to having both games - in accepting that TF2 hasn't been "butchered" - it's just different. And that there is a great difference between the two.

But that's fine, that's peoples prerogative. I'm happy supporting both, and that means saying something when people are unreasonable. I do the same thing on the TF2 forum with FF.

Okay you're a TF2 fanboy we get it. You're on Steams forums defending all aspects of TF2, we understand. No reason to reply numerous times in multiple threads with the same responses my lord man.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #69
IvaQuaL

I think saying TF2 is for younger people may sound stupid at first but it's not entirely groundless. the loading screen ("you're on your way to"), the graphic style, the simplicity of the game, the whole kind of "hold your hand" attitude.. it may just be me but it seems there's definitely some demographic targeting here.

i do enjoy TF2, it has some good points and moments, but yeah.. i'm disappointed as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #70
summit

Quote:
No strong affiliation either way
I'm no fanboy - I simply defend *anything* when it's unfairly bashed. If you think I've been unfair, tell me. But being impartial doesn't equate to being a fanboy.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #71
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I will agree with you that some of the posts unfairly bash TF2, just as there are probably posts that unfairly bash FF.

I just love the idiots who say "TF2 > FF" because TF2 is a commercially released game and FF was done by members of the community or for some other baseless reason. Get your hands outta Valve's pants already, geez.

That said, you have been a tad passive agressive with some of your responses. Some of the people have stated that their intial impression of the game was lackluster. I have yet to play it myself (not exactly a lot of cash on hand at the moment); however, from what I have seen and had described to me, I do not know if I would like the game very much. It seems to take some of the best stuff of Fortress games out and water it down for the general public.

A long time ago I (and many other people) said that my impression of TF2 was that they were dumbing things down to appeal to the masses rather than have interesting and in-depth skills that a player could master over time. Now I have found, anecdotally, that this is the case. I really wish that I was not right on this one.

It is a beta and the game still has a month and a half until it is technically out, but I highly doubt that Valve will be making any major gameplay changes.

Here's to TF3, which will come out in... oh, let's say 2017 or so.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #72
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snips
I've played TF2. Nothing like TFC, really. Disappointed is all I am.

I haven't found all the nuisances in the game, but I've found the biggest to me, respawn time, no bhop, nades. BIG NUISANCES.

In before THEY ARE DIFFERENT GAMES DON'T COMPARE THEM!!1 I can kinda compare them if TF2 is supposed to be a Team Fortress game. ;\

edit:TF2 looks amazing, I can probably start to like it for different reasons, kinda how I like CS:S.
If you are going to go into a game looking for stuff that you don't like then of course you aren't going to like it that much/be disapointed.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #73
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
Yea..there's no comparing the 2 games...they're so different. FF is TF on steroids (non stop heavy metal mayhem) and TF2 is for people that like to take a few drags off their cigarette while waiting to spawn.
When I do that I just stand by my Sentry Gun... at least I can whack it with the wrench while I am getting my nicotine fix. d:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
TF2 should not be called TF2...it should be called Circle Jerk's and the Fun House Follies.
Is it me or would that make an awesome name for a retro Swing band?

o/` "We're the Circle Jerks
We jerk in a circle
We got glasses and suspenders
Just like Steve Urkeeeeelll~"

*trumpet solo* o/`

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #74
s0undch4s3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
When I do that I just stand by my Sentry Gun... at least I can whack it with the wrench while I am getting my nicotine fix. d:

Is it me or would that make an awesome name for a retro Swing band?

o/` "We're the Circle Jerks
We jerk in a circle
We got glasses and suspenders
Just like Steve Urkeeeeelll~"

*trumpet solo* o/`
ROFL!!! COMEDY!!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #75
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Well, I'll be giving it a try when I get home from work tonight. It sounds like a lot of people on here are giving it a fair chance and it still comes out lacking. I'm just going to look at it as a fun new game, hopefully, and play it as such.

You are a pirate!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #76
Gunslinger

Sureshot, can you not get a medic to make you invincible when attacking on dustbowl and get through the gates?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #77
groovyf
In the clouds

Got mine working now with driver cleaner +reinstall graphics drivers...

So..... 2fort... go scout, hit the bridge, get mowed down. Wait 20 secs... try again.. same... *yawn*

Respawn timers are the biggest thing they've done wrong here for me.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #78
Rex_Omar

People seem to be forgetting that this is a Beta!

Valve have a habit of dissapointing people, only to wow them when the full version launches. Think of it as a little taster.

I can assure you that when the full version comes out most people will change their tune.

Remember people, this is a Beta version, not the final product!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #79
qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
Same.. I was astounded when it crashed on that my first time playing.. That's one more time than FF has crashed on me in recent memory.
In fairness though, it is a beta.. isn't it?

At my current financial rate i'll probably have to buy TF2 on the xbox360 -_-

Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #80
IvaQuaL

"Beta" isn't a magic word that means everything can happen. The game is pretty much set and done, it's only minor tweaks and bug fixes now.

Closed Thread