Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Fortress Media

Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Fortress Forever - Soldier Video

Okay well I've compiled a small soldier video now. The quality is better in this one but game play not as good since I"m not that good with soldier to begin with heh.

Since I've done this once already lets cover the first few responses first.

To those that don't like the music: Mute is always an option
To those that defend for me my choice in music: Thanks
To those that think it's bad image quality: Yes youtube sucks

I tried uploading it to stage6 but I guess something I did this time does not classify it as a divx, although that's what I decoded it with. It's midnight and I'm tired, so the stage6 upload will have to wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LCuGfZEFc

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I wonder if that really worked in the 80s. Hey baby... wanna pour some sugar on me? Come on. Fire me up.

Nice vid. That openfire maps looks fun.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
cunnelatio

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
To those that don't like the music: Mute is always an option
so is picking appropriate music

why is every ff video so far so laughably bad? Don't bother if it's just a few minutes of boring ordinary shit with crappy music and no editing whatsoever.

If this offends you make better videos I guess. I expect a bunch of people to call me a jerk and a big troll but hammock here needs some tough love rather than pats on the back
cunnelatio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Ill give him a F for FAIL! j/k hammock its alright 1st few attempts for you anyways you will get better at it.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Camphlobactor

How bout instead of avoiding the music bullshit and just recording the sound in game?
Camphlobactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Better at solly than I am lol. A better music choice would have made the difference.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camphlobactor
How bout instead of avoiding the music bullshit and just recording the sound in game?

Well this guy right below you is one of the reasons for the music. I'm assuming the people who dislike the music have never actually tried making a video themselves.

For almost the entire congestus map Kubedawg's mic was soo messed up everytime he spoke he silenced the server. I'm not talking silenced as in shut us up, I'm talking as in when he spoke all sound stopped so we could hear nothing but the crackling of his mic.

The clips being only on average of 10 seconds apart would yield you half of an explosion here, half of a Vox there. Nothing ever streaming together smoothly.

It'd be different if it was 5 straight minutes of game play. But alas I find those ones pretty boring. So I choose to clip together a few action shots.

Crr...hhs..shh..ppp.aaa..rrrc..cccc is what you would hear instead of any real game play sounds.

And since formatting it over and over makes you watch the same damn clips over a hundred times each. It is far more aestheticly pleasing to the ears to have some kind of music in the back ground while watching it, instead of listening to silence for 12+ hours.

So, like I said, I ignore any music comments. This post about it should have been inserted to the first post, I remembered after posting, was gonna edit but went to bed. Fully expecting the question actually. Too predictable you guys are.

So honestly, the music's not for any of you, it's for me. And I reference you to my first point on my first post.

And cunnelatio please direct me to your video's you've made , so that I and the other's out there may witness a good video to learn from. I'm a newbie to this, and will accept any real advice in the matter.

And yes be_ I love that openfire map, I think it's still in beta right now. But can't wait for it to be released fully. It's just awesome

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
SmellyCat
Darknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnelatio
why is every ff video so far so laughably bad? Don't bother if it's just a few minutes of boring ordinary shit with crappy music and no editing whatsoever.
Sometimes less is more, especially if you're new to the editing shiz. It's taken me a number of unreleased avis to realise that I still could only just get away with the basics -- was just getting the hang of it then I stopped FPS gaming suddenly -- random crappy fx everywhere that don't fit is much worse.

I actually enjoyed the music as a one off. It beats yet another avi set to techo or 'hardcore' metal. However, I wont argue that the music didn't add much to the video other than background noise.

Hammock, if I personally had more experience I'd attempt to help more, but my main suggestion is that if you're wanting to improve then check out other peoples avis and think about what it is about them that looks good. Sound (music), visuals (quality, style etc) and skill level of plays, all play an important part in a video being enjoyable to other people. You can always check out places such as this but I don't think that kinda stuff is for everyone - self learning is quite the fun.

As a "make movies for myself" kinda person it's not the sort of thing I can really comment on - but if you're creating something that you're planning on letting other people see then you need to attempt to make sure that it's not just something only you will find interesting. For example, a number of the clips in your video were just not interesting (from what I could see from youtube quality anyway!) and can get pretty dull.

Practice makes perfect, though.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
barronofhellion

sweet something to watch at breaktime !
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat
Sometimes less is more, especially if you're new to the editing shiz. It's taken me a number of unreleased avis to realise that I still could only just get away with the basics -- was just getting the hang of it then I stopped FPS gaming suddenly -- random crappy fx everywhere that don't fit is much worse.

I actually enjoyed the music as a one off. It beats yet another avi set to techo or 'hardcore' metal. However, I wont argue that the music didn't add much to the video other than background noise.

Hammock, if I personally had more experience I'd attempt to help more, but my main suggestion is that if you're wanting to improve then check out other peoples avis and think about what it is about them that looks good. Sound (music), visuals (quality, style etc) and skill level of plays, all play an important part in a video being enjoyable to other people. You can always check out places such as this but I don't think that kinda stuff is for everyone - self learning is quite the fun.

As a "make movies for myself" kinda person it's not the sort of thing I can really comment on - but if you're creating something that you're planning on letting other people see then you need to attempt to make sure that it's not just something only you will find interesting. For example, a number of the clips in your video were just not interesting (from what I could see from youtube quality anyway!) and can get pretty dull.

Practice makes perfect, though.
See now this was a constructive criticism post I appreciate. All good points, and I thank you for actually taking the time to talk about it. I have looked at other avi's people have been making, mostly on youtube. And I'll be honest, other than that Source Mod Todd's video there hasn't been a single FF video I've watched past the first 30 seconds. That's why I asked for a good FF reference, because I can't find one. And Todd's is a humor sorta style one, not really game play.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

I can't help fix my mic problem if noone tells me about it :/.. It works fine in CS, and when I'm playing FF I don't hear anyone complain.

Regardless of that, it was a decent video, but like I said, the music could have been better.

TFC style games are chaotic, and that was not a chaotic type of music. The only time you should use slow paced music is when you are doing slow motion effects on you video. I'm not trying to be an ass, especially cause I've not created very many videos myself, but constructive criticism is what I'm going to give, especially when you want feedback.

My main problem is getting the video to match up with the music I'm trying to play in the background, here's my vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qgd56hUaho

See what I mean?

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Hammock what programs do you use to make these? I have a stockpile of demo's of me playing (some pretty sick moves too!) but I just don't have the know how to make an avi...can you point me in the right direction of some good programs etc. that I can use?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
neoslak
[NMD]

Send a message via AIM to neoslak Send a message via MSN to neoslak
I thought it was a good stab at a video.

Gameplay videos are a ball ache. I've never made one but I do appreciate the effort that goes into them.

As for the music, I thought it suited a solly seen as it looks a bit like Bruce Willis...
neoslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #14
Hammock
D&A Member

Ya kube your mic was acting weird that game. To the effect that when you used it, it actually muffled all the other server sounds and we could only hear crackling. I've no idea how to fix that problem heh.

I watched your video and man I swore to god I was watching a TFC video at first. That map looked soo much like something out of TFC. The only thing that made me know different was the demo's weapon lol. Good video, and I get your point. Did you pay for that song you used? I don't pirate music, therefor am limited to the few pirated songs on my computer that I didn't download and since I haven't bought a real music CD in about 15 years I'm quite limited to my legitimate music selection heh.

Dr. Satan the steps I used to make my video are as follows (I'll start from the beginning even though you know the first step of record demoname)

1. Record demo
2. Open up demoui and load the demo
3. Hit pause, and turn off the text and death notices
4. Then in console I type startmovie moviename
5. Unpause (the movie hasn't started until the console is closed) Close the demoui at this point because it will be recorded on screen.
6. Close the console, movie starts (amazingly slow btw) but when you turn the console back on, it stops making the video and makes your demo run at like 3 times the speed (Someone please help me with this, this is the one feature that makes selecting your scenes very difficult. When you hit console to stop the scene you want, it fastforwards at incredible speeds and you might miss the next scene you want)

Jumping to tickpoints is amazingly slow in the demoui. Every jump is a new fresh load, these times are exhuasting to wait for, and make it very unappealing to actually go through your demos to select the stuff you want. There has got to be an easier way of doing this, but I'm not that knowledgeable in it, and it's frustrating.

Well anyways,

7. Now that I'm done recording the clips I want, I go to my FF folder and find ALL the TIG files for it. This is another reason this process takes forever for me, I have a small harddrive that's almost full. And a 3 minute video takes up like 15 gigs of space at the rawest form for me. Again why the process is slow and tedius, because after 3 minutes of recording, I have to go to the folder sort out what I want run Vdub(we'll get to that), then once the raw avi file is made I delete the TIG files I was using to make room for the next 30 seconds of video

8. I use vdub to make those TIG files into a raw avi file. My first vid was very poor quality, but for the 2nd I choose some different compression options that made them hella lot better (not for youtube though).

There was a post awhile back someone made about a youtube video on how to use vdub easily and quick. This step is definately the fastest and easiest.

9. Sony Vegas 8.0 I used to make the videos, my first one was on a 30 day free trial, but I got ahold of a fully copy from a friend for my 2nd.

This application is soo simple to use I like it better than windows movie maker. And the only reason why I don't use windows movie maker is because on my first video once I got the whole thing put together and went to "Create video" every time my computer crashed hardcore. So I went with Sony Vegas.

That's it for me, my biggest problems lie in capturing the video from my demo's because the way the source movie maker fast forwards and seems uncontrollable. It's easier when you're offense because all you do is turn console off when you reach enemy's base and record until you're dead.

When you're a defender, unless you've watched the demo and written down timelines for when to turn on the recorder and when to turn it off it's very difficult to know to turn it on when an enemy is approaching. Why not leave it on you ask? Well for two reasons 1. it would take about 5 hours to get through a 25 minute demo at the movie making speed, and 2. It'd probably take a terabyte of hard drive space lol.

So you either do it the way I describe above. Or you sit there for hours on end, reloading and jumping to certain ticks to get the spots you want. And unless you have a god like computer that loads these things fast, you will sit and wait and wait and wait and wait. So I opt for using the console to stop recording and start recording. Which makes me miss a few clips, and If I saw one I liked I might go back here or there for it, but if I miss it I continue on.

Making videos for offense was far easier.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

awesome thanks!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
I watched your video and man I swore to god I was watching a TFC video at first. That map looked soo much like something out of TFC. The only thing that made me know different was the demo's weapon lol. Good video, and I get your point. Did you pay for that song you used? I don't pirate music, therefor am limited to the few pirated songs on my computer that I didn't download and since I haven't bought a real music CD in about 15 years I'm quite limited to my legitimate music selection heh.
You know that you don't have the artists permission to use their song in a video too, right? It may not be as bad as pirating the song, but it's still using it w/o the artist's permission, which is pretty much the same as stealling in my book. Is it the fear of hefty fines that bothers your or getting caught? Or just a moral thing? When it comes to music for me, I hear most of the music I listen to from either other videos or from the radio. So hearing those songs IMO is the same as if I were to request a song on the radio or watch a video with a specific decent song. My money would go towards concerts/memorabilia, and occasionally the CD, depending on how good it is. I don't have an issue buying single tracks off iTunes, especially if the quality if lossless, but for the most part, I don't have the time to deal with that hassle. It's not like I'm selling these songs to other people. I just usually download music to play on HLSS, sorta to create my own radio station.

I don't condone stealing anything, but use your best judgement, and don't do it just because you think you won't get caught. If you do get caught, you have only yourself to blame.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #17
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
You know that you don't have the artists permission to use their song in a video too, right? It may not be as bad as pirating the song, but it's still using it w/o the artist's permission, which is pretty much the same as stealling in my book. Is it the fear of hefty fines that bothers your or getting caught? Or just a moral thing? When it comes to music for me, I hear most of the music I listen to from either other videos or from the radio. So hearing those songs IMO is the same as if I were to request a song on the radio or watch a video with a specific decent song. My money would go towards concerts/memorabilia, and occasionally the CD, depending on how good it is. I don't have an issue buying single tracks off iTunes, especially if the quality if lossless, but for the most part, I don't have the time to deal with that hassle. It's not like I'm selling these songs to other people. I just usually download music to play on HLSS, sorta to create my own radio station.

I don't condone stealing anything, but use your best judgement, and don't do it just because you think you won't get caught. If you do get caught, you have only yourself to blame.

I have no fear of being caught whatso ever. The only people who get caught are the ones that "host" huge amounts of songs and upload them to others. The simple act of downloading is very difficult to catch, if not impossible.

It's a moral decision for the most part. And yes I realize using their songs without permission is technically illegal, but I thought it was more if you don't give a credit, and weren't selling your product. Even youtube itself says don't upload "Commercials, music videos, concerts..etc" Never once saying "You can't use a song without the artists permission"

So the few songs I do have on my computer were not downloaded by me, someone else downloaded them for their own use, and just left them on the computer. So I pick from a list of maybe 30 - 40 songs, most of them being hip hop or rap.

Like I said, the song was just put in so I had something to listen to while I watched the same videos over and over about a hundred times each. Silence gets agitating after awhile. Since it was a song I just randomly selected to listen to, I guess I just pieced my video together to match its length.

Next time I will remove the song when I'm done making the video, and just release a silent movie.

As for what I listen to, if I were to listen to music at anytime on my computer, I turn on Sirius online and stream my music in. The bandwidth is low enough it doesn't lag my game, and I get a pretty good selection of music with all the channels I have to my disposal.

I've never been much for downloading or purchasing music, the rest of my family was, especially my dad. In his napster days on dialup he accumulated 20 gigs of music lol. That's pretty good for a 4k/sec download speed

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
Next time I will remove the song when I'm done making the video, and just release a silent movie.
Bad idea...And i don't think that's what Kube was trying to say...Not everyone is going to like the music, but It's the overall quality of the game that really makes or breaks your avi (at least IMO)
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Music isnt that bad... still the footage its pretty average but will see when we start having scrims there we can get some real footage.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Bad idea...And i don't think that's what Kube was trying to say...Not everyone is going to like the music, but It's the overall quality of the game that really makes or breaks your avi (at least IMO)
Yet that's the only thing not discussed. The only thing not given suggestions for, the only thing not critiqued. People can't get past the very trivial part of the music selection and don't give ideas and suggestion on what could be done better as for the game play or sections of video.

Seems everyone is high and mighty in thinking they know "music" yet provide no real insight to the video itself.

If I remove the music, maybe people will get past that and critique the video itself. That's living in a fantasy world I know, because people will just bitch about the lack of music. You just can't win...ever. Especially on these forums, I've never witnessed a public forum soo full of hatred and resentment as this one, and I played everquest for 7 years lol.

We're a group of what? 100 average a night players all playing together on the same servers, yet when we come to the forums it's like everyone has a knife to someone else's throat in a mexican standoff.

Quote:
Music isnt that bad... still the footage its pretty average but will see when we start having scrims there we can get some real footage.
yes that's one thing I've noticed. without scrimmages there's no repetative action to create good solid footage. Especially on defense, I find myself wandering around half the time. It's not as cut and dry as a scrim would be, far more chaotic and unpredictable.

Cheers,
Hammock