Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
(!)-DrLove

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF/TF2 Freezing when i try to join server

ive tried deleting firewall, putting in exceptions into the pos windows firewall, i dont know what else to do

my FF/tf2 both do the same thing, i join a game and it begins loading and makes it to retrieving server info and then the game freezes and goes not responding. i can join my own server, not not any other ones i have tried

please help me i want to play both games and i cant

Old 09-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
how long have you let it sit? HL2 has really horrible load times, and often takes a while, even beyond what you might consider it stalled.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Formless

I've had the same problem. And yes it is a Fortress Forever problem, the rest of my games load fine, and quick.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
Kingsofa

Same problem, it gets stuck at retrieving server info. None of my other source games do this, please help....

Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
organizedcrime

I'm getting the exact same problem, but I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the crash thread or not.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #6
SaII

Quote:
Originally Posted by organizedcrime
I'm getting the exact same problem, but I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the crash thread or not.
same problem here

Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil
how long have you let it sit? HL2 has really horrible load times, and often takes a while, even beyond what you might consider it stalled.
How long is "a while," b/c if it takes like more then 2r3 min to load everytime the map changes that is just insane...idk what this has to do with fixing the problem, but i know that after like a min. i am tired of waiting.
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
HL2 is well known for shitty load times, and since several of the FF maps push the limits of what the engine even supports the load times are quite shit(ff_hunted). This is clearly an engine issue that I hope valve fixes for us as it is effecting TF2 as well. Pretty much everything that happens during the loading state is engine level. Short of our huge complex maps taking longer to load than some others there isn't a whole lot we have control over.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #9
organizedcrime

Wait, so is this a genuine bug or just a waiting game, because as soon as it reaches "Retrieving Server Info" it just freezes if you click it?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Dr.Evil = Genius!!!

Anyway I totally thought it wouldn't work, but instead of freeking out when I saw my FF window say it wasn't responding I just left it alone. Give it anywhere from 1min 30 sec. to 3min (YES I TIMED IT) and eventually it will load up the map! Hopefully Steam fixes this problem of long load times soon, but for now just wait for the game don't freek out and don't hit other buttons and eventually it will load!

I just wanted to add that I am also running i n -window -dxlevel 81 in the launch options, but i'm going to try it without those options when I get off of work and will let you know!
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote