Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-23-2005, 03:43 AM   #41
o_drahk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'll host it for you just send me a Pm and I'll get in touch with ya..
o_drahk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 06:36 AM   #42
o_morrow

I would say its frickin awsome teh way it was (from first post)

keep in mind its like a facility. looks like it could be there from the 70's even. It really reminds me of Jurrasic Park. or like Dino Crisis.. something from the ColdWar even.

lighting is awsome. not bright. not super dark. enought to tell that the lighting in the building is "poor" which is a good thing to go for in a building like that. it adds character to the map.

every so often throw in the odd spash of colour or something.. blood on the wall or something like that....

good work cant wait till FF gets released so i could take a closer look at the map
o_morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #43
o_jerm

that maps too dark imo, otherwise, you have a good eye ;d
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #44
o_kayuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
Does fog show up on the low end users' systems?
A little old, but might as well answer the question.

Fog shows up fine for me. (1 GHz, FX5600, 512 MB RAM) Although it lags like hell for about 5 seconds, it's fine afterwards.
o_kayuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #45
o_morrow

nother reason for there to be an option for this kind of thing in FF. i know in DOD they had it. so you could turn world fog on or off.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #46
o_imbrifer

Well, the teamcoloring is (99%) done. Here are the updated shots with sexy lighting and teamcoloring:

But these last 2 are the ones I need help with, everyone. I am adding teamcolor to the outside of the base, and one method I figured I'd give a shot at is teamcolored lighting. Does it work? Should I try coloring the concrete strip between the top curve and the base instead? Any other suggestions?

As always, comments are more than welcome. Help me make this sexy :D

And yes, once I get this darned base exterior teamcolor thing figured out, I think I'll flip the base, recolor the new half and finish up the skybox.. then it'll be ready for beta test and I'll post the .bsp for HL2dm here.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 AM   #47
o_kam

Team coloured lighting is cool, but those spotlights look a bit overdone and don't really shine on any surface :/.
Try only having 2 red spotlights that shine on the base logo (well, a place holder for the ff team logo textures) or something. Maybe some becon-ish lights along the roof and paths in the yard since it looks fairly dark and this gives it more contrast and makes it look less dull.

Another thing is that the texture colour determines how lighting works too, so if you had white-ish lights shining on a red texture it should have a red tinge to it, so you can team colour it in a subtle way.

As for the rest of the screenies...
http://img239.echo.cx/my.php?image=s...nstairs3fi.jpg - roof light props look a bit out of place
displacements look a little rough, but that's intended i guess?

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndlevel3qj.jpg - im guessing thats respawn and a sniper deck? Looks a bit big :/

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lements3ao.jpg - doorway looks a bit tight and not much room between it and the wall
shape is a bit plain too, try making the sides angled so it's more like /___\ or something

It's looking good btw.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #48
o_morrow

yah id go with the lights shining on the face of the wall. perhaps the team logo. but you need to get it to spotlight on it. but still use what you have as well. should look sweet. and nothigns saying you cant have the red trim around the roof too. Personally i wouldnt as it looks better with just lights shining on it.

yah your hanging lights look a little silly. should look for others ones. i dont know the names of some good ones exactly but there are somes out there. C_17 i know that has least 1 hanging light. prodidgy has some too.

other then that id say its orgasmic.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #49
o_ivaqual

that's really sexy, though Kamikaze's points are valid. i'd keep http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bunkergroundlevel3qj.jpg's or http://img239.echo.cx/my.php?image=spawn1upstairs4pt.jpg's lighting system consistent around the map (and thus replace http://img239.echo.cx/my.php?image=s...nstairs3fi.jpg that looks indeed out of place).

i'm not fond of how you implemented the lighting around the bases. what i would do is to color more the bases with the team's respective color (more red in the outside of red base and so on) and add "real life life" street lamps around the bases that shine downwards, onto the base with a white/yellowish color (at any rate, a regular one). tbh the red spotlights catapult this map into the seventies. also, make sure to have both a light source and a spotlight to not make the lamp posts only eye candy and useless.

but who am i to say ? this map looks darn good. really.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #50
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i agree the uplighters are a bit overdone, but i think a pillar outside on the grass with two uplighters illuminating a base logo thingy would do the trick

awesome map btw :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
those rocks are sexy as fuck :D
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #51
o_imbrifer

Alright, here are some adjustments I made:

Should the logo be on top of the base, or perpindicular to the camera in the first picture?
And yes, those lamps were hideous. They've been promptly destroyed and replaced.

I am hesitant to do large looming lamps because I feel it might make the map more 'urban' or too realistic or something like that. Hrmmm

Old 07-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #52
o_drtom

looking really sweet mate, i think have one perpendicuar to 1st shot, by the door, AND one on the roof, lods of bases have more than 1 team symbol so i dont think itd be too crazy!
only thing im thinking looking at it so far is that the entrances seem kinda narrow, if they are that narrow id rather see them open with no doors, with a door there and that little room to manouver they are gonna be pretty extreme choke points, bt i dunno how the base links together so ill leave that to you :P
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #53
o_kam

Yeah logo should be on that billboard like brush with those spotlights lighting it up~
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #54
o_ivaqual

id have both : a little logo on the doors (small decal) and a more visible, big one on the very top of the base.

looking good !
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #55
o_morrow

kinda look like flairs on the ground. any who i thought this tutorial might be helpful for you too. as it has to do with lighting and stuff. has that whole look to it.

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.p...Beams_-_Part_1

your call weather you want to use it or not.
i know that one of the things in it is "obsolete" that hammer does it now automaticly or something. guy helped me out when i tried doing one.[/url]

Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #56
o_imbrifer

Good news: I've flipped and recolored one side, and it looks marvelous.

Bad news: It's choppy as hell. I tried to optomize it first, but some of the things I'm doing and the way I've arranged areas make it difficult to use areaportal/areaportalwindows and hints. I'll see what I can do...

Once it's smooth, I'll brush up the skybox and find some people to alpha it with me.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #57
o_morrow

dibs.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 AM   #58
o_racer

Looking perfect. Keep it up and BTW great attitude taking the time to read suggestions and not taking them as put downs but as people trying to help. Any mod team would be lucky to have a mapper with your talent and attitude.
o_racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 AM   #59
o_imbrifer

Thank you, Racer.

A bit of an update on the map: It appears to be a optimization nightmare - I built the map with a spunky design in mind more than playability. I've been working on 2morforever for a bit to hone my optimization skills, and then I'm going to go back to Lake and give it an overhaul. Everything will look the same, but I'm going to hit it with the optimization stick of doom. No worries since FF isn't out yet - it'll still be done plenty before FF's release, and I'll make some movies or something of it before then.

Rock on, and this is To Be Continued for now...

Old 10-25-2005, 06:12 AM   #60
o_racer

The small mod team I ran had the smae issues. Built a few great maps and then they, uh, were lag hell. But they didnt mind as they said it was a good learning tool on making source maps.
o_racer is offline   Reply With Quote