Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
(IDEA) Creating a new steam community!

I understand that FF has a good amount of groups. But there's not a lot of activity going on with the FF community group.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about people not seeing others on, or never being able to catch a game. So my idea is rather simple. . .

-FF Game Time -

Description:
A group of veteran PUB players host a group that shout out to the community to let them know when they're about to play, and on what server. At least this way we can give the players who greenlight the game an understanding of when to play.

Instructions:
In order to make this group successful, two things need to happen..
1) Veteran players need to be able to step up and take responsibility and rally players to the server,

2) The Greenlight page needs to have a "YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND PLAY NOW!" with the website link (I know it's already on there,) at the top of the page. This gives people a little more incitive to actually try the game out.

3) Place the link to this community group on the greenlight page with a caption along the lines of joining the group for announcements on the best time to play. (ex. When VP's are about to join the server.)

VP Responsibilities:

-Watch over the Greenlight page and promote the game when they can. (I know I've said some stupid things on the greenlight page, but I'm making a turn around. I'm as hopeful for this game as I am for the will of Exo. (best wishes to him!) I want it to succeed! So I apologize for my past behaviors. I'll back and delete all wrongful things on the page.)

-Mentor new players when they have questions. VP's should remember to suggest they play the training map to get the just of the game.

-Start games and post announcements.

-Join in on discussions or questions regarding the game.

VP #1 Rule:

-No trolling new players, harrassing them, etc etc. VP's must set a good example for the community.

Comments:

Depending on how many players wish to be VP's will determine the amount of work that VP's will need to put time in to this (The more the merrier,) and the often chance that more VP's means more player's joining.

With all this said, remember it's just an idea. I personally feel I can be more active with these kind of chores, because they contribute to something worth a damn to me. I suppose the only question that remains is who is willing enough to lend a hand?

Last edited by eomoyaff; 03-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Moya for VP 2013

Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
ill elaborate later but basically i feel that creating yet another steam group isn't gonna help shit.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
ill elaborate later but basically i feel that creating yet another steam group isn't gonna help shit.
please elaborate, all of us have been dying to hear your input.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Isn't there already a "Populate Fortress Forever" Steam group?
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

1) Populate Fortress Forever isn't ever used, and has inactive admins.

2) The new group would be promoted by greenlight. There's people saying that they installed the game but no one is ever on. That's what this group is focused on.

3) Every time a VP wants to play FF, they post an announcement in this group -- others on steam who are in this group then have a good idealization as to when to play.

4) VP's in this group can set up events and promote them on greenlight as well as the group.

5) Wifi, I don't want your pessimistic elaboration, thanks. Instead, how about you help out with the project, or bug off.

In all seriousness, Between server owners, and competitive players, and for what low player base this game has -- If you want FF to populate, help me out please.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Features-
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier / Medic
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: has left the game
Posts Rated Helpful 10 Times
To be honest.. I think most of us have given up.
Features- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

well Fuck You to moya. now to the important part is that we have several steam groups. more than several for FF most of them don't get updated at all or very rarely and are kinda useless. My point what stops this from doing the same thing. you have to inject it deeper into the community than the surface or it will never survive. we have to build the base closer to home than a steam group.

so yes moya I like most of these ideas here however I feel if this is to work it has to go further than this it has to become part of the FF culture so to speak. so where is this "FF culture" well its all centered around this Forum so I think we have to start there. and no this has nothing to do with rice's new website. (rice anytime now ) we can do this for our current website.

1. squeek or whoever has access to modifying the forums could you add a section for new players to ask questions. this is a very complicated game and there needs to be a place for the (noobs/newbs/scrubs) to ask these important questions without being or . this area of the forums is sorely lacking as there is no dedicated place to ask. also that means that you assholes need to lay off the new guys.

2. having a forums badge of honor displaying that you are a "Veteran Player." It's a visual indicator that way also helpful to people If they trying to figure out who to ask for help. Personally I think the name isn't the best because VP is a commonly used acronym vice president, victory point, etc. as well as the fact that Veteran refers to people who are experienced not what your describing your duties. what about Ambassador? that sounds more fitting of the job your actually doing.

3. ill add more later but the general idea is that just making a steam group won't necessarily stay afloat. I think the best way to keep this thing going is rooting it in the forums then moving to steam group.

lastly I'm more than willing to jump head first in this pile.

(meaning im on board with this shit. )

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-15-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
so where is this "FF culture" well its all centered around this Forum so I think we have to start there.
I'd have to disagree. Forums reach the smallest part of the community for just about any game. And the same is true for FF. There are plenty of pubbers who play regularly who don't visit the forums. Or at least only lurk.

Also the forum already has the capacity for helping new players. There's a plethura of tutorials and information here already. Admitedly you might have to dig pretty far to find some things. Look at wubba and rck, two of our "newer" players, who've both come to the forums in search of advice and tips. Both of which have been met with some sound advice. If ever there was a noob lurking these forums not knowing where to ask advice, I'd hope that seeing those threads would make them realize they can do the same.

Anyways the idea of this thread is a system to let players know when the game is active, and the forums aren't really ideal for that.

The steam groups aren't really the problem, they're just not updated. Take one of the current steam groups or make a new one. And give admin to someone who pubs on a daily basis. That player can make posts when they're going to be playing. And throughout the day/night post announcements letting people know what servers are being played on with how many people. Let group be endorsed in places new people will see it. Like wise any admins should be adding any new player they see. All you really need is people who are willing to maintain it. It could help getting people playing together more often. But either way I don't think it will do much.

Something on the forums could be done, like maybe server tracking, so you always know if people are playing or not. But the forums are still as far away as you could get from the "FF culture".

Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

not so much did i mean "culture" but i couldn't really think of the word i was looking for so i used the closest one i could think of. (hence the parenthesis.)

also to the point of that it doesn't help bring in new players i wasn't so much saying it did rather that developing a foundation then a frame. rather than say building straight up on sand.

right now i think its mostly lack of managing our current resources and tools we have a ton tools and not enough people to manage things it seems. or perhaps we do but there is no concerted effort to organize them. and when there is it dies out because theres no foundation.

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Noted.

I've always been apart of some form of community guild of the sorts over the years, and college clubs -- I understand well enough the idea of maintaining a community through example and activity. So keeping a Group alive is nothing new to me. Though, it's a pointless risk without the motivation of others who are willing to put the time and effort in to a group as well.

For this kind of group, or community, you don't need a leader, or an overseer to make sure admins are doing their job -- It's a group effort succession, balanced by a group of players who are willing to dedicate their time to helping newer players stay active and making FF a long-term enjoyment.

So based on the prior replies, this is what I personally feel needs to happen to better insure an active and larger player-base.

FORUM:

1) The Tips and Tutorial Forum needs to be cleaned up, and the incorrect tutorials need to be deleted.

2) All the negative and flaming posts need to be deleted.

3) The Forum look could look a little more exciting (grey gets old after .. forever)

4) More Forum Moderators need to be appointed.

GROUP:

1) Veteran Players who are on Fortress Forever often are Ideal for the group, though have to show a willingness for activity and dedication to making the community grow.

2) With #1 said, we have to maintain activity on a DAILY BASIS.

3) With #2 said, VP's need to WORK TOGETHER -- 1 VP cannot carry the rest in activity and event scheduling.

4) Event scheduling to keep players interested -ex. Small Tournaments with rewards - exx. 1 day Basketball Tourney - Winning team all get a free steam game.

5) Meetings At least twice a month for news and other group related tasks.

You guys are right in a lot of aspects -- There are a lot of FF groups, they are either really old and no longer active, or newer, and well, still not active, nor carry the same purpose as the VP Group.

@Features - You're 100% right. But that is their choice -- There are still those who would like to see this game with at least a thriving 500 or so players :P Don't start, I know.. I know.. lol. The question I would like to see answered, is if Squeek is tired, or if he's lost some interest, or what he wants for this mod in general, to happen. I do thank him and applaud him for getting FF this far, though.

But yes Wifi, a lot of good idea's. Including the jumping in to.. Well ya.. :P

FDA, thanks for being informative about the reality of things involving the forum. And no Rice, I'm not pointing my finger at you But you could use some help.

I would personally volunteer for the purpose of cleaning and organizing the forum, but really it all comes down to trust with these guys. My reputation has been up and down as friend can turn foe at the blink of an eye in this community. Some players like to pin others are being that specific someone..

But never-the-less, my eyes are set on doing something, what I can that is, to help increase the games potential and player-base.

Thanks, and look forward to more replies.

1 members found this post helpful.