Old 04-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #101
o_paft

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hahaha! now that's funny.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #102
o_amazingnurseenrique

Capping BH speed on a class basis makes sense in TF balance, so that all classes don't essentially move the same speed. Why play a fast, light class when a heavy class can move as fast without the drawbacks. Games are best balanced when they do it from perfect play standpoints.
o_amazingnurseenrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #103
o_nezumi

I can strafe like a mofo, I just can't always get the timing right on the jumps.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #104
o_elvis2049

strafing and timing is easy
it just needs a little practive.
but when you getting the hang of it it feels like a second nature so natural
i just notice that i am doing the same stuff with other games tho #%$#%$#%^##$%%
they dont work there ofcource
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #105
o_thedarkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smax
dude, chill out, not every one on this forum is out to diss you...we love you Paft, its just that some of us are on our menstrual cycle...
I dunno about that- I found it much easier to just use the ignore feature on him and not worry about the drama.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #106
o_smax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne
I dunno about that- I found it much easier to just use the ignore feature on him and not worry about the drama.
lol, I have also recently discovered this amazing feature. I posted that a few days ago. Then, after reading numerous other posts where Paft's presence loitered, I too, decided to "ignore feature" his ass.
o_smax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #107
o_dammage

Quote:
Capping BH speed on a class basis makes sense in TF balance, so that all classes don't essentially move the same speed. Why play a fast, light class when a heavy class can move as fast without the drawbacks. Games are best balanced when they do it from perfect play standpoints.
That's where every mother has a different opinion.
Instead of making a cap it would be better possible to give the explosives a multiplier of the speed so that slower classes aren't too fast, but don't get annoyed by the cap after jumping on three nades in a row. Want speed? It costs you some hitpoints (or jump on a conc). Want to be fast as faster classes, then you have to sacrifice more. etc.

It is not only about getting the jackass award from the ago stats (the guy who jumped on most own nades), but it makes sense after an enemy soldier put you several rockets into the ass and so on.

Just think of p=m*v, nades have a constant impulse while different classes have different base and moment impulses [whereby the moment impulse is at spawn equal to the base one (=0) - and wasd provides you with class-based movement/impulse]. In such a case the same boom will lead to different impulses (and due to the nature of the vectors of v and p it will be very easy to compute it) and several booms will contribute to speed without making a HWGuy become as fast as a scout with the same cost on time, life and ammunition.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #108
o_kam

What...

You dont need an explosive to pick up bhop speed in games that are not ETF.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #109
o_dammage

Aaaah, just forget it, do it linear and uncapped <3

I just meant an example where the cap is obvious and annoying, you could give the impulse to the trickjumps, too.

All in all, instead of class-based speed cap the speed development should rather look like a logarithm curve so that while moving at "class maximum speeds" you still can get faster, but not as much as where the function begins.

This picture illustrates the idea:

Green or red curve the development of speed due to trickjumping etc, the blue curve - impact of an external booster on this class depending on speed and the result of this (blue) function is added to the red/green one as soon as you get an external boost.

The estimation of the speed would then be then a limes (limit) of the red function from where on you can still accellerate, but it provides you only few ups more speed and you still can accellerate above that cap with explosives and so on whereby their impact of your maximum speed is depending on your old speed value.

Dunno, maybe I forgot how the TFC cap was, but I remember it just pushing you down as soon as you go above some magic value what was just annoying.
___

Last edited by o_dammage; 04-14-2006 at 07:34 PM.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #110
o_nezumi

Someone else suggested speed limiting to be hyperbolic in nature, similar to wind resistance, whereby the game would simulate a force in the opposite direction of your movement inversely proportional to your velocity. So, basically, there'd be a terminal velocity you could reach (After an infinite ammount of time :P). But this would be scaled up/down for faster/slower classes. I liked that idea.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:52 AM   #111
o_kam

oh, yeah they already said it wont be like a brickwall.

cpma does a 'drag' thing kinda like you're describing nezumi, im not sure if it effects you in the air though. it's quite unnoticable so it'd be good.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #112
o_amazingnurseenrique

Argh...that confused me more. :P

So is the general argument that class-based limiting is bad because then you can't grenade jump? I always thought it was possible to have different maxxed airspeed and max bunnyhop speed values, perhaps I'm wrong.
o_amazingnurseenrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #113
o_nezumi

I'm fairly certain that in FF your max bhop speed will be a percentage of your class' top speed. So a scout can outrun a soldier.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #114
o_radio

hi guys, i'm adhd and this thread is six pages so onto my question that might have been answered already

are the strafe keys all i need to push for bunnying or does it require the forward button too?
o_radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #115
o_mescalito

I think it never did in any game..
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #116
o_radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalito
I think it never did in any game..
i'm thinkin painkiller had stuff like that but i might be wrong. and i'm new to this tfc spin-off thing (etf being my tf experience so far) so i don't know how things worked there.
o_radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #117
o_elvis2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio
hi guys, i'm adhd and this thread is six pages so onto my question that might have been answered already

are the strafe keys all i need to push for bunnying or does it require the forward button too?

nope than it would be called strafejumping not bunnyhopping
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #118
o_kam

Err no, you don't use forward to bunnyhop.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #119
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Painkiller (and HL2) don't seem to require strafing for bunnyhop, and you can do it while holding forward. For TF, however, this is not true, and hitting forward actually slows you down.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #120
o_paft

I know painkiller is irrelevant to this thread and FF, but i haven't really been following modern games that much lately and i just checked painkiller out and i don't remember it looking like that. i think I'm mixing this up with a very similar title (game names)..... Help it's bugging me.

I've never played it though , i just didn't expect it to look like that. Still not sure if I'm thinking of another game though.
I can just remember a image of a drill to a persons head.

That's not very nice.

Last edited by o_paft; 04-16-2006 at 08:24 PM.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote