Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #61
A Boojum Snark

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
You start out low and measly (you're running from them), then all of a sudden you fuck over some super heavily guarded prison/thing and basically become a superhero.
Isn't that basically the point of Half-Life in a nutshell? Pretty much the same flow chart as HL1... you start out measly running from weird stuff coming from who knows where, you work your way around and end up being chosen to go to a heavily guarded alternate dimension and play superhero to save the world from Xen. :P
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #62
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
You're right, but in Hl1, you're not constantly being reminded of it. In HL1 it's more like "Save us/Good luck Gordon" and that's it, until you go to Xen. Until then, you know you are in deep shit and you have to give it your all to make up for the mess you caused. Only until you get to Xen, you kind of start realizing that then is when you can put an end to it all.

In HL2 it's more like

"OMG GORDON"
"Hey it's GORDON FREEMAN"
"stop GORDON FREEMAN"
"GORDON FREEMAN is the Anti-Chri...Citizen"
"Oh noes, GORDON FREEMAN stopped me"

All of a sudden it wasn't you doing all of that stuff, you were made to do it, as if everybody was pushing you in the directions you had to go, and I'm not talking about Gman.

"Daddy got captured, now YOU have to help me rescue him"

In HL1, at least it felt like you were making choices, you decided where the fuck you were going and no one was there to tell what they wanted or thought about anything. And if it counts for anything, you were doing it by yourself.

In HL2, you only had that in the beginning a bit, until you gained hero status and started raiding Nova Prospect, as if you stood a chance against the force that pretty much enslaved the earth. OOH antlions, I'm sure the rebels didn't think of that yet. But only YOU can do it, cos your god in this game. Then you lead a rebellion against the oppressors and destroy pretty much everything with a big boom. PRAISE FREEMAN.

That's why I like the episodes. You're back to where you started. People respect you, but you're no superman. That rocket thing in Ep2 was pretty cool, but then you get screwed over again, reminding you that you are not all that. I guess that's what's bothered me.

Also this
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #63
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Well I certainly never felt like a superhero in HL2... not sure what you're talking about.

You get to do the antlions because you have the grav gun and the ability to line shit up.

Not to mention that in HL1 every scientist you run into is 'Gordon! Thank god you're alive! You've got to get to the surface!' etc. etc. etc.

So... dunno what you're talkin aboot.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #64
Suite307

Failtigo. Seriously.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #65
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Since when did I ask you to agree with me?

It's just how I experienced HL2. It wasn't bad, just didn't like the parts after Ravenholm. Didn't like the themes and story after that, I guess.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #66
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
Since when did I ask you to agree with me?

It's just how I experienced HL2. It wasn't bad, just didn't like the parts after Ravenholm. Didn't like the themes and story after that, I guess.

The point of all that stuff is that people turn to you because you are a symbol. Think about it, you don't ever speak, you just show up and start radically changing the ENTIRE WORLD in a very short time. Of course people who have been essential slaves to the machine look to you like you're a hero... perhaps it's because you ARE a hero. You saved their lives and the lives of their family. The reason point to you in the first place is because you've already proven yourself once before at being quite able to fight and kill and solve random puzzles. The resistance is being lead by the very scientists you've saved once before so you have a history.

Basically, it's not random or forced on you, it happens naturally and as a course of the game. I'm only frustrated because you seem dissapointed in the game and it feels like you missed something. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to give you shit or anything. Even if it seems like it. You've got a right to your opinion and that's really all we're talking about here. I'm just saying it seems like you're basing your opinion on something that's missing an important fact.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #67
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Basically, it's not random or forced on you, it happens naturally and as a course of the game.
I guess that's my problem. I just don't see myself (as Gordon) do crazy shit like assaulting Nova Prospect, so it just felt... wrong to me. Maybe I just don't lik the pressure of being a hero

Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #68
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
That's why I play SMod. Events are time-scripted so you can just boot the fucking NPCs and still get shit done.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #69
Doctor Zyo
Manic Necrophiliac

Class/Position: O: Spy D: Engineer
Affiliations: :e0: Eternal Order
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Zyo Send a message via MSN to Doctor Zyo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Zyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
That's why I play SMod. Events are time-scripted so you can just boot the fucking NPCs and still get shit done.
Fuck yes, don't even let them open their mouths.
Doctor Zyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 AM   #70
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
After about 5 tries I finally did finish hl2. Finished it on god mode because it was so boring.

Started ep1... once
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #71
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
wow, i guess im the only one here who loves HL's story telling, story, and atmosphere. i play HL for the story and some gameplay, and other games such as halo and TF for action
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #72
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
When is Black Mesa going to be released?
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #73
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Hopefully soon. I'm playing HL again because it's honestly SO incredible, but as much as SI say I va;ue story over gameplaym I' d love tp lay that game updated.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #74
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
yeah thats really the only pc game im looking forward to... ever. hl2 bored me to the point where i couldnt finish it, and didnt bother to play the episodes. but ive beaten hl1 a few times all the way through, and would absolutely love to paly an updated version of it.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #75
greenday5494
D&A Member

they havent updated their website in quite a while though

Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #76
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
they havent updated their website in quite a while though
Busy as fuck if you ask me.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #77
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
lets hope
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #78
EvilIguana966

Quite frankly, Valve seems to have development ADD, whereby they cannot focus on any one project till completion but instead must have several in the works by the same people at once. This is why you couldn't buy a new full sized Valve game last year, but rather Orange Box, which contained essentially 3 new small games (as well as the big game and it's first mini expansion). My problem is that different gamers have different desires, and not everyone who likes HL2 and the illogically named episodes will necessarily like portal or TF2, or necessarily want to buy them all at the same time. Sure you could buy only the pieces that you like, but then you end up paying way more than what they are worth, and you still have to wait longer for a continuation of the game in question.
EvilIguana966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #79
greenday5494
D&A Member

i thought the orange box was excellant

if you're complaining you only got 3 games for 50 bucks, look at GoW. It's 60 bucks, the single player is around the same as EP2, and the multiplayer less.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #80
EvilIguana966

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
i thought the orange box was excellant

if you're complaining you only got 3 games for 50 bucks, look at GoW. It's 60 bucks, the single player is around the same as EP2, and the multiplayer less.
Orange box was a good deal, but if you happened to be uninterested in any part of it, you were faced with the fact that buying only the games you wanted was a very bad deal. If you didn't want TF2, for example, you would have ended up paying like 100 bucks for the privilege of buying everything but that one. I have no problem with the concept of bundling products and offering a better deal for the whole thing, but Valve took that concept to the extreme. As an analogy imagine if you go to the food store to buy cereal but Cheerios only comes bundled with a gallon of ice cream, 6 hot dogs, and a toothbrush. Sure it's a good deal for what you are getting but if you don't happen to like or need one or more of the products you end up getting annoyed. The other point is that Valve would spend less time on development and could release content faster if it didn't constantly divert effort to unrelated projects.
EvilIguana966 is offline   Reply With Quote