Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #241
o_anshinritsumai

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I'm not a huge fan of the inventory. Even after playing for a while, I still get confused, at times.
I don't know why, but I picked up the menu system really easily.

Especially the magic and inventory; as they we're just breakdowns, and the character sheet was simple enough to understand as well. The quests and maps confused me a bit, and sometimes still do, well the quest part rather than the maps themselves.
o_anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #242
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Some mods worth looking at ( check on sites like www.elderscrolls.com/forums/ and www.planetelderscrolls.com/oblivion ):
  • "No Psychic Guards" - reduces hearing distance of guards from 3000, game default, to 1000. Guards no longer hear cries from across town.
  • "BTMod" - a series of UI/Menu tweaks. It reduces the font size of items in your inventory, allowing you to see roughly 3 times as many, vastly increases map/quest window sizes, lets you use arrow keys to navigate menus, adds numerical timers to spell effects and breath, adds a durability bar to your weapon icon in the HUD... the list goes on.
  • Chase Camera Mod - converts the third-person camera to a "true" third-person camera, no more elastic movements and delays.
  • Underwater Fix - makes it easier to see underwater.
  • Birthsign Stat Fix - Birthsign stat boosts now increase your maximum stat (i.e., a +10 boost lets you reach 110).
  • Low Recharge Cost - reduces the cost to recharge items at the Mages' Guild to about 1/10 what it was.
  • Hide and Seek - you can now hide from enemies that have seen you already, no more monster omniscience. You need a high sneak skill and a place to hide, though, and they're more sensitive to your actions.

There are others, but I forget their names, so I'll get them later.

Zauis: you mean the ones with the glowing runes on them? That give you bound equipment? Those are literally all over the damn place... come in different colors, too. I've seen Red Green and Blue so far.

Actually, ALL enemies level with you, until they reach their cap. Rats and mud crabs will never go over level 1. Dogs will never go over level 3 or so. Etc. It's a bit of a pain since your equipment doesn't always match your level, but it's not too bad.

Fresh: sneak is an archer's friend.

One thing I'm getting disappointed with are the Daedra Princes. Who picked their voices? Oh God, I wanted to murder Meridia... that fake Scottish accent was so shitty... and Sheogorath was a let down. He looks so old now... but at least his quest is amusing. The Wabbajack SUCKS, though. It's not even a real staff weapon anymore, it's a regular spell-casting staff. And it only has ten charges. And the effect lasts about 10 seconds. Just weak.

Nocturnal, however, was really cool. Good quest, fan-fucking-tastic reward. A lockpick that can't break and boosts your Security by 40. That's just hax, man.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #243
o_dr zauis

I mean the red ones, because when you talkj to them at night they give you a once a day spell to use forever, some boost sneak/turn u invisible/boost secuirty, where some boost mercintile/personality/speechcraft, or they just boost your armor or magic resistance and attack. The red ones have a burnt area around them, like a fire happened. I havent seen blue runes, just green, the green bind deadric armor to you, but if you do the assassins missions you get get you own set of deadric armor. So yea, do you know where any red ones are?

Oh yea, where is nocturnal?
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #244
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Nocturnal is pretty easy to find... head down to Leyawiin, and leave town through the east gate. Follow the road up a good ways and it'll be on the right.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #245
o_yoshura

speaking of mods, some more good ones:
Arcane Velocity - magic goes WOOSH
AF Leveling Mod - an alternative leveling mod based on skill growth, removes need to max your multipliers each level (VERY well balanced, works with 'vanilla' characters, as it just recalculates)
Combat Behavior 2.x - Makes enemies smarter and more challenging to fight
Dimensional Pocket - A nifty little rift in space to stash your lewtz
Guild Storage - Puts a box in all the guilds to store stuff
Increased Gem/Clutter Value - get more from common items
Visually Enchanted 2.1 - Makes fire weapons burn, ice weapons chill, and shock weapons.. BZT?
Security Rebalance - Modify the way locks are handled. Warrior? No picks? BASH IT OPEN!

and the BEST MOD EVER

INEBRIATION - drink ale, drunkness begins! drinking too much though will make you pass out for a couple hours...
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #246
o_frenchtoast

Well, I went back to town and have been looting and pickpocketing everyone. I've gained 3 levels and got me a fine steel bow with 125 silver arrows from my pickpocketing of guards

I'm on the quest from Arena where you find out if that guy's a prince or somethin rather. I'm doing the Thieves Guild quest after that. Now I have the equipment.

Oh, and what are some ingredients that raise health? I need to make potions.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #247
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Deadra Hearts do, I think. I've picked up like a ton of 'em.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #248
o_someoldguy

Patch next week

From http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=348450

Quote:
Todd and I wanted to give everyone an update on a number of things we have in the works.

Patch/Update
We are working on a patch/update for both the PC and Xbox 360. It will address a number of issues that we have found and ones that have been reported to us and confirmed. It is our plan to first release it as a beta patch for the PC when it has cleared our initial testing cycles internally. Since it’s a beta patch you should be aware that issues may come up that we haven’t found yet and we strongly recommend you backup save games and understand it may be necessary to reinstall the game when the final patch comes out.

We are also looking into the localization issues that have come up in Europe and are working to address some of those issues. A European Patch/Update will be available after the English versions.

We’re doing both of these things as fast as we can and will let everyone know as soon as they are available.

Downloadable Content
We have been working on downloadable content since we finished the game in February, and we continue to feel this is a great avenue for us to continue to add to the Oblivion experience.

We have already announced two of them:

The Orrery
The Orrery allows you to help the Mages Guild of Cyrodiil repair the Imperial Orrery, an ancient dwarven machine with mystical properties. Bandits have stolen a shipment of parts destined for the Arcane University; if you can return them, the Orrery will function once more.

Features

* A new, full-featured quest, including dialogue, journals, and rewards
* Access to the Imperial Orrery in the Arcane University, an incredible mechanical marvel
* New powers available for your character based on the phases of the moons

The Wizards Tower
Located high in the Jeral Mountains of Cyrodiil away from prying eyes, this Wizard's Tower, Frostcrag Spire, will become available. Packed with numerous useful enhancements, this structure will prove invaluable to magic-oriented characters.

Features

* A fully detailed tower for you to explore
* A breathtaking view of Cyrodiil from the highest point in the land
* Simple furnishings including a bed for leveling up
* An indoor botanical garden with over 130 specimens... including Oblivion-native herbs!
* Summon Atronach Familiars that obey your commands
* Instant teleports to every Mages Guild in Cyrodiil
* New Spell and Recharge vendor in the Imperial City
* Fully upgrade the furnishings in your lair to suit your needs
* Upgrade to a fully functional Enchanting and Spellmaking station with no need to join Mages Guild
* Upgrade to a laboratory that buffs your Alchemy skill

We hope to have The Orrery available for purchase next week. This plugin will cost 150pts on Xbox, and $1.89 on the PC. The Horse Armor Pack has been very popular, and exceeded what we thought it would sell. Despite that, we’re still trying to find the right spot, so we’re putting a much larger plugin out for less than the last one and we'll see what happens. Your feedback as we move forward in this is invaluable. Tell us what you want to see, how much of it, and what it might be worth to you. No, don’t say you want it free, because these plugins take a surprising amount of time to create, polish, and test (much more then Morrowind's).
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #249
o_yoshura

wtf, im not paying 2 bucks just for a little plugin!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #250
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Well I finally got around to doing the Arena. Kinda fun, though the last match was a real downer, since I did the Gray Prince quest, and he just let me kill him. I tried to yield, or leave the arena, but I couldn't find a way. So I got a nice visit from the Dark Brotherhood for my efforts
Oh man I kinda challenged him then he was all 'oh i wished you'd of done my quest etc.'
So I go do it, come back and talk and he's like 'nah got nothing to say lets fight jerk'

So then I fight him and yeah remembered that only 1 man leaves the arena...
QUEST FAILED YO
Made me sad

I think I'm gonna give up on the whole hand-to-hand only thing too cos they're too weak and not fun anymore. Unless I can find some boxing gloves.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #251
o_frenchtoast

I have recently really enjoyed sneaking about and getting a 3x dmg bonus from my bow, so I've gained some levels in that. I just need some more powerful stuff, but it's a good started weawpon before I run in wit my katana.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #252
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
I think I'm gonna give up on the whole hand-to-hand only thing too cos they're too weak and not fun anymore. Unless I can find some boxing gloves.
High level blocking with hand-to-hand is quite nice - you get a chance to stun opponents. I also got a set of enchanted gauntlets that majorly buff my hand-to-hand (Don't remember where, though). Too bad h-to-h is a minor skill for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I have recently really enjoyed sneaking about and getting a 3x dmg bonus from my bow, so I've gained some levels in that. I just need some more powerful stuff, but it's a good started weawpon before I run in wit my katana.
Make an enchanted bow for some serious ownage. Then, of course, you'll either have to pay tons of money to recharge it, or go the soul trap route, but it's worth it. I don't know if loot is randomized, but I found a Glass bow in the Bruma Oblivion gate quest. Pretty easy quest, too.

Last edited by Jiggles; 04-08-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #253
o_frenchtoast

I'm too cool for Oblivion Gates.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #254
o_kam

Muahah just 'finished' the dark brotherhood quests (how good was that house party one?!), got a crazy black horse with red eyes that likes to fight~
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #255
o_frenchtoast

I'm getting me fighting skills up before I do any more of those quests

Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #256
o_puppychow

so i have finally been able to play...really really digging it. After i initally got it to work, i must have spen 2-3 hours just trying to tweak fps to maximize its playability. I have a conisitent 50-60 fps outside, and 80 to 120 inside.

if you have used the 'pea soup' fix located here:
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36222
change the values back to default - there is a MUCH better fix that is not as much as a resource hog.

it can be found here:
http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2182

one beef: i really do not like the consistent leveling aspect of the game (when even if u go back to early dungeons the monsters now found in there get harder than they were before or simply match your leveling). I always got more enjoyment from rpgs when i could go back to old areas in the game that used to kick my ass, now much stronger, better equipment, better stats etc, and just lay waste to them.

in a sense, if everyone levels with you, whats the point of levels at all.

also, the physics are most dissapointing. If I hit a box with my 40 pound two handed heavy war hammer as a strong nord, the damn thing should be smashed. HL2 did that so well....

but its a small gripe. the degree of freedom is amazing.

btw what kind of chars is everyone playing? I'm doing the nord/warrior/knight thing first time around, then will go magic route second time.

Last edited by o_puppychow; 04-10-2006 at 02:25 PM.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #257
o_puppychow

anyone install a mod to get rid of scaling...thinking of this one...heard of any better ones?

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co....Detail&id=294
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #258
o_general levy

question about the fighters guild quest line - why is it so random?

and why are daedric arrows such a biatch to find. TES Devs really piss on us poor old archers...we need to effectively recharge two weapons to fight - our arrows and our magic bows

anyway, is anyone a big swinging dick and playing it above the default (on the 360 the slider is at halfway) difficulty?

goddam i find it hard enough at this level - level 30 thief going into oblivion gates where its hella hard to sneak attack due to all the light....only to get attacked by like 3 daedroths 2 spiders a couple of daedric foot soldiers and a mage all at friggin once

oh and throw in a few scamps and those stegosaurus type things for ogod measure. im not that hard ffs!
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #259
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, it's times like that where conjuration can be so handy - dropping a pet into the middle can get at least some of them off your back. Do you have high Illusion skills? I bet invisibility could help, though I haven't tried it.

But yeah, good arrows should be cheaper/more common, and it should keep better track of how many arrows you stick into someone - I've never gotten more than ~4 arrows back from a corpse.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #260
o_yoshura

alright im bored with Oblivion now

need new game

(i can never finish a game thats so overly long like this, unless i REALLY want to beat it (final fantasys))