Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #81
sadeyx

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
So since ET:QW is charged for the excuse for it being dead is what? Free mods do horribly because they are free and games that you pay for do WONDERFULLY unless they are ET:QW because that is too complicated for simple babies to comprehend. Yup.
I realise the contradiction, but Quake is suffering because its crap! over priced and under marketed!

Its also released at the wrong time! With TF2 coming out and being more anticipated and eagerly awaited for decades (almost as long as we waited for Halflife 2) Team Fortress was always more popular than Quake, just the whole brand sounds dusty and old to me.

I happened upon FF purply by chance! I was all ready to purchase TF2, I usually skip past the free sections nowadays and just look for the paid games.

Had FF had a price tag of just $10 then the team would probably be rolling in it by now

Orange box for $44.. or Just FF for $10 ?... I wouldnt care if it was buggy I would have bought it.

Guess FF Dev team have missed the boat on this one though, maybe FF2 ? =]

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #82
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieman117
FF was still being tested; it's better to have released it with a few quirks and get it out then be buried under TF2's press.
no, it's better to test it for another month or so, in its current state there are so many obvious and apparent bugs (like kill messages dissapearing, the skewed view), and if it was released a lot more polished right when people are bored of tf2, a lot more would play it

Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #83
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojo
no, it's better to test it for another month or so, in its current state there are so many obvious and apparent bugs (like kill messages dissapearing, the skewed view), and if it was released a lot more polished right when people are bored of tf2, a lot more would play it
I dunno, over at the steam forums, these threads are going up titled something similar to "WTF is this game; TF2 is not TF." It seems like some people are getting a rude awakening of sorts.

FF has been out almost for a month now, and the tweaks are already being worked on. When disappointed players of TF2 go to look for other TF mods, i think they'd be pleased to find FF is already in the works, and the bugs and tweaks already being addressed, most which have been found by the pub/clan players. I don't think the closed beta would have caught so many bugs and the need for some tweaks and improvements.

Plus, since there's no more excuse for the "TF2 is still in beta" line, when more balancing and tweaks need to be addressed, in addition to crash bugs needing to be fixed, I think people are going to be attraced to FF when they hear next patch is already coming out soon.

But we'll see: it might be just optimistic talk.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #84
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
I dunno, over at the steam forums, these threads are going up titled something similar to "WTF is this game; TF2 is not TF." It seems like some people are getting a rude awakening of sorts.

FF has been out almost for a month now, and the tweaks are already being worked on. When disappointed players of TF2 go to look for other TF mods, i think they'd be pleased to find FF is already in the works, and the bugs and tweaks already being addressed, most which have been found by the pub/clan players.
Also, when people complain about TF2, the TF2 fans tell them to "STFU and play FF."

I was running both servers but I've already shut down my TF2 server due to a lack of options and fortress style features. I'll wait for plugins before I reconsider.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #85
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

yes, but the fact is a lot of peoples first impression of FF was in its current buggy state. same thing happened with Empires and a bunch of other hl2 mods, first impressions made people not want to play them ever again

Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #86
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojo
yes, but the fact is a lot of peoples first impression of FF was in its current buggy state. same thing happened with Empires and a bunch of other hl2 mods, first impressions made people not want to play them ever again
Ah i see your point. Very true indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
Also, when people complain about TF2, the TF2 fans tell them to "STFU and play FF."

I was running both servers but I've already shut down my TF2 server due to a lack of options and fortress style features. I'll wait for plugins before I reconsider.
Yea i see this quite often on the steam forums. Even if it's a legitmate request, like adding fov options because people feel dizzy and sick, they rudely told them to go play FF. But then, FF fov is also limited too =\

Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #87
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Yea i see this quite often on the steam forums. Even if it's a legitmate request, like adding fov options because people feel dizzy and sick, they rudely told them to go play FF. But then, FF fov is also limited too =\
Unfortunately, I've seen the same thing in these forums when people have complained about something in FF. These kids today...

Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #88
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

The Internet has gotten people so used to free shit that it's practically an entitlement now

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #89
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
The Internet has gotten people so used to free shit that it's practically an entitlement now
There's definitely a sense of entitlement. I'm not sure that it stems from free stuff on the net but that's another topic.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #90
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
I don't think the closed beta would have caught so many bugs and the need for some tweaks and improvements.
It certainly did not. A lot of the testers spent a ton of their free time playing the game. It was hilarious to see a bug during a playtest during the beta. Someone would say "Hey guys I found a bug" and half a dozen people would get right to work on reproducing it and figuring it out in the middle of all of that classic Fortress mayhem.

If you look at my X-fire profile you will see the sad irony that I have spent 75 hours in Source SDK Base testing FF and a mere 13 hours actually playing the game with youse guys. The same is probably true for a good lot of the testerz.

The one thing that surprised a lot of the testerz and the devz were all of the bug reports when the game was released. Yeah, we knew that some bugs could not be squashed in time for release, nor could some features be implemented (voice chat icons anyone?). But all of the things that popped up were completely insane from our point of view.

Our version of the game was working and working well. Even though there were roughly 200 people combined playing the beta version of the game, a lot of bugs still slipped through the cracks simply due to things like different system configurations. Also note that a 1 in 5,000 occurance of a bug would never show up to us but would show up in a population as large as... well, the entire FF community.

For all that was found out, some stuff still completely fuckin' amazed me. I mean, SGs built into walls? I knew there was that one spot out in front of 2morfort, but I had no idea you could actually build them into walls as badly as the flurry of screenshots has shown. Even 200 pairs of eyes can miss stuff sometimes.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #91
benjpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
TFC players have resisted upgrading for this long for whatever reason, I dont see them upgrading simply to play TFC:S. Which is exactly why myself and other begged the FF team to change the mod to be less like the dead (yes, dead) TFC. They should have made class changes, removed bunny hopping, introduced new weapons and idea, etc. But instead they emulated a mod that's dead, dooming their mod to failure. Sad, but true.

Yeah I am not sure why the developers didn't realize this. Many of us played TFC for over 4 years. Why would we want to keep playing it? Unless drastic changes are made to make it a more unique game... no one will ever be interested in it. Last time I checked steam stats... something called Zombie Master had more people playing it.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 AM   #92
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjpac
Yeah I am not sure why the developers didn't realize this. Many of us played TFC for over 4 years.
Dude, some of us have been playing TF games for the last 10-11 years, and we still love it.

Move on already and let us have our fun

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #93
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I've got 7 years of TF under me belt. Hell, I grew up with Team Fortress, and I still love it.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #94
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjpac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
TFC players have resisted upgrading for this long for whatever reason, I dont see them upgrading simply to play TFC:S. Which is exactly why myself and other begged the FF team to change the mod to be less like the dead (yes, dead) TFC. They should have made class changes, removed bunny hopping, introduced new weapons and idea, etc. But instead they emulated a mod that's dead, dooming their mod to failure. Sad, but true.
Yeah I am not sure why the developers didn't realize this. Many of us played TFC for over 4 years. Why would we want to keep playing it? Unless drastic changes are made to make it a more unique game... no one will ever be interested in it. Last time I checked steam stats... something called Zombie Master had more people playing it.
See, you guys are not understanding the core concepts of TF. All classes have basic weapon concepts that all other classes have. All classes have melee, short range, long range, and grenades. The versatility comes in with passive skills or active weapons that enhance a certain aspect of the basic aspects that is specific to each class. Faster speed/lighter armor prones the scout classes to be offensive, while powerful, but slow and heavily armored allows hwguys a better def position. However, it's not so unique that it's impossible for them to switch roles. HW can go offensive(like rushing w/ a soldier) and the scout can be defensive(like being an anti-spy whore). This versatility is what brings people to the game, especially if balance is tweaked along with it.

This is what made D2 so popular back in the day and keeps it going even today. A paladin was made for melee combat, but was not limited to it. You could go as FoH magic guy or use the barb as a warcry whore, or use the necro as a melee char, or the assassin as a poison star thrower. The classes are only better at certain things than other classes, but they're not limited to and locked into a specific role. It's this versatility that gains players, not "uniqueness" that restrain a player to a specific role, and only that role.

FF is going to catch more players as time goes on because in addition to improvements in movements and manuverability like trimping and bhop, the dev team are willing to make the game intricate, discuss suggestions, get feedback, try somethings out, take out what doesn't work, etc etc which allows more versatility for the game, and not force a single class/player to be stuck in defense doing this one thing or stuck only on offense doing that one thing. Uniqueness is only a good thing if it will add to what the class/game can already do. If by trying to enforce uniquness, you take away versatililty, most likely, people will not enjoy the constriction.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #95
Narbleh

Hear hear, PsYcNeT. Almost 9 years of TFCing for me

If you all want a new gameplay experience, go play TF2. It should be un-TF-like enough for you :P

I've personally been having a blast playing FF. It's new enough to interest me, but still full of the comedy gold and strategy found only in TFC.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #96
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
There's lots of time

Well first of all, there are still a couple of minor tweaks that need to be worked out....so this is more like Beta 9.9

Second....how many people saw Counter-Strike advertised? It just has to catch the attention of the MOD and Half-life websites. Or you could be told about it like I was with CS, and you can tell others like I did.

But really....the game feels and flows so great that it's only a matter of time before many good players hold it in high regards among MPFPSes. Most people who I told to try it thought it was very fast.....which I don't find any problems with.

I'll be one dude playing it wherever it's being played, that's for sure.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #97
Poo Puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
Second....how many people saw Counter-Strike advertised? It just has to catch the attention of the MOD and Half-life websites. Or you could be told about it like I was with CS, and you can tell others like I did.
In gaming, I'm not sure how much marketing has to do with promoting a game anyway.

In the end, for me, it was my friends who told me about each game I played, or I them.

I started playing Doom because my friend was in a clan playing and wanted me to join them. Almost every single game after that I purchased and played because I saw other people playing it and they said it was good.

Word of mouth is what gets players. If a mod is failing, there is a reason for it, and it has nothing to do with marketing. Players will go where their friends play.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #98
Boogieman117
FF Server Op / Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to Boogieman117 Send a message via AIM to Boogieman117 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman117 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poo Puppet
In gaming, I'm not sure how much marketing has to do with promoting a game anyway.

In the end, for me, it was my friends who told me about each game I played, or I them.

I started playing Doom because my friend was in a clan playing and wanted me to join them. Almost every single game after that I purchased and played because I saw other people playing it and they said it was good.

Word of mouth is what gets players. If a mod is failing, there is a reason for it, and it has nothing to do with marketing. Players will go where their friends play.
Poo speaks the truth... want real popularity? Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, only if you're in the right places.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #99
Lyability

I don't think my next comment belong here, but I'm gonna share anyhoo.

I just installed my Orange Box: Biggest waste of $50 ever!

I have no idea why I was so pissed that Valve released the beta of TF2 the same time as FF was released. That shit sucks! I was falling asleep playing 2fort! It's slow, its boring, it looks stupid... Man, if anything TF2 coming out should boost players coming over to FF.

TF2 had a half life of 10 minutes for me.

Seriously, thanks devs. This is an awesome mod!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #100
DarK_TaO
Mapper ^^

Send a message via ICQ to DarK_TaO Send a message via MSN to DarK_TaO
People, please read this.

http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=12311

Closed Thread