Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #21
o_ginger lord

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaMIKazE
Fuck that is nice. Would like to see texture style/brightness similar to the original though.
I've tried to keep it like that, the bright sunny day style, the direction will be changed however. The textures...well they are pretty close to the originals. We have the concrete lowers with team coloured stripes on them and team tinted bricks. I don't think it stands out too well at the moment as everything shown is the blue side, and with the blue ambient lighting on the walls the blueness of the bricks blends away.

I don't want the bricks to be obviously tinted one way or another, it looks odd having bright blue bricks. Hopefully when I get to the middle area and you can see the two colours it will be better.

Yes it is coming along fast, Epicentre is actually quite a small map despite looks, very basic in layout, the time will be spent on details mainly. It took ~ 30mins for the spawn room and has been a couple of hours (3-5) on the rest so far. I set aside today as mapping day. This type of mapping is what I've been doing for 5 odd years, so I know the tricks well :P
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #22
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This is really nice, good stuff.!!
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #23
o_donny

Man you should be at FF staff. That map is like TFC version! No no I take that back, that's BETTER than TFC version!

Awsome stuff, keep it up even that other guy would tell on your mom! Good job
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 AM   #24
o_jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm
the third picture looks as if the ramp up to the exit door is at a very steep angle

otherwise nice work !
Its steps, hard to see from that angle.

Another thing I'm doing to keep the sticky spots down is that all the model rubble, debris and detrius (lovely word) is all not solid. You can run straight through it, grenades wont be affected by it. The displacements (the main rubble pile) and larger chunks of concrete are solid however. I think it will work quite well, having all of it collideable will be a nightmare.
you should do something like this so that when people walk on the rubble they still go up, or whatever

http://img297.echo.cx/img297/8717/blahhhhhh4jp.gif
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 03:12 AM   #25
o_etzell

1 suggestion: name it like the TFC version. I'm a stickler aboot that. :-p
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 04:40 AM   #26
o_don chico

This is looking really good, good job.
o_don chico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #27
o_don

Looks fab.

The only (small) alteration I suggest you make is remove some of the window textures. They are repeated too much, which takes away some of the realism - the glass is cracked in the same pattern for each pair. Not that the game is meant to be realistic, but there is a harsh contrast between the attention to realistic detail in some areas of the map (say the rubble and fire by cap point) and the the lack of realistic detail in others (noticable window texture repetition esp. at cap point).

Metaphor time: But this really is complaining about the dust on an excellent painting.
o_don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #28
o_robg

Lost mate, change your pic
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #29
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This looks great and is really true to the original. Nice work.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #30
o_ginger lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
1 suggestion: name it like the TFC version. I'm a stickler aboot that. :-p
I only named it different (although correct in the UK) because someone else had stated they were doing a remake first, but I have not heard anything back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm
you should do something like this so that when people walk on the rubble they still go up, or whatever
You can still walk on the main rubble, just the little/medium (anything about a foot wide) is non solid. It sounds odd but trying firing when constantly going up and down over little chunks, getting stuck etc. I may add some small clip brushes in some areas to stop people crouching in larger areas and becoming pretty hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
The only (small) alteration I suggest you make is remove some of the window textures. They are repeated too much, which takes away some of the realism - the glass is cracked in the same pattern for each pair. Not that the game is meant to be realistic, but there is a harsh contrast between the attention to realistic detail in some areas of the map (say the rubble and fire by cap point) and the the lack of realistic detail in others (noticable window texture repetition esp. at cap point).
I have reversed some of the window textures and removed others to make it less obvious, shall also add scorch decals later to cover some up.

re: conc jumping issues:

Its hard to get a balance between conc jumpable everywhere and having a good VIS to block line of sight etc. What there is at the moment is none of the exterior buildings (the buildings on the edge of the playable area) are able to be jumped over. Also the main ruined building either side of the bridge is also not able to be conc jumped over or over walls internally. However the roof section in there is quite high so you wont just go up a storey and hit an invisible wall. However, everything else should be able to be blasted over.

The reason I've limited conc jumping, purely for mapping reasons. The big buildings are what keeps the LOS down and the FPS up. I could make the whole thing able to jumped over if you all dont mind playing with 5fps :P

Old 06-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #31
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
Lost mate, change your pic
Why should he? It's just a computer mouse.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #32
o_jdcruz

Sorry ginger, but I can't agree with anyone here. This map is looking a bit sad considering how long you've been mapping. I expect better from you! That is if you're the same ginger I'm thinking of...

If you are then this will look familiar

So yeah, concentrate more on detail and less on finishing the whole map in 1 week. I'll leave my specific comments out for now. /.::T.L.S.:::[(
o_jdcruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #33
o_ginger lord

Oh good lord, that has to be like 4+ years old.

Shaggy? How are you man. Long time no see.

I've been quite ill at the moment and with exams coming up I havn't done anymore to the map.

For those questioning detail:

:P

Old 06-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #34
o_jdcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
Oh good lord, that has to be like 4+ years old.

Shaggy? How are you man. Long time no see.

I've been quite ill at the moment and with exams coming up I havn't done anymore to the map.

For those questioning detail:

:P
That's more like it
o_jdcruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2005, 05:41 PM   #35
o_rival13

Hey, we should get together and make hypertension for the source engine lol. This is biggs (big man) btw if you remember me. Looking nice ginger, you've really improved since oasis. I expect you'll put more detail in once you get more of the map done, but so far so good.
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #36
o_ginger lord

Update:

I got the whole of the blue side done, so made a backup of it. Compiled it, fine. Ran around looked good. Went back to hammer, copied map, flipped, joined compiled fine. Ran...crashed to desktop with no error message.

So I delete the new half, go back to where I was, same problem. Load backup, same problem. Gah. It doesnt matter, I wasnt happy with the map as it was, it just looked odd, lots of it out of scale trying to keep the TFC style of it. So I'll rebuilt it after my exams are over, next week.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #37
o_imbrifer

That sucks, Ginger...

try copying it all and pasting it in a new map file, then compiling and running it. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you :(
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #38
o_jared-tm-

Ah, sorry to hear. Good luck with the next version! :]
o_jared-tm- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #39
o_donny

That sucks
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #40
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Well, it can only come out better for this, right?