Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Where do you see TF in the future?

TF has came a long way since the days of Quake. TFC was arguably the reason we all know what TF stands for. TF2 came in and reinvented the TF concept while breathing new life into a near dead community.

When TF was around the thought of TFC was far off and even the TFC released is not what TFC ended up becoming as it evolved over time. TF2 is already following the same pattern by slowly changing and evolving. A TF3 is very very far down the road.

Where do you see TF going? What will TF2 add to the TF arsenal? Will we one day see the addition of another class? Will the Soldier and Heavy ever have special purpose other than killing? What do you think TF3 will be like?

My idea is that TFC-ish mods will always exist and probably continue to be put out there. If all things go well FF should be the dominant mod that best replicates TFC. I'm very interested to see what Valve does with all the classes after what they did with the Medic update. I think ultimately when it comes down to TF what Valve does next will pretty much set in motion the future of the "genre" (if we can call it that).
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I personally see TF games as flourishing for many many years to come. With strong technical minds that people have these days, combined with the creative aspect of it all, I think the TF side of things is going to be customized, even moreso than TFC. This goes mainly for TF2, but FF also has potential to get to a very high point with a decent player base.

With that said, I want an iron man model for my soldier, that fires rockets out of his hands.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
myersjr

Honestly, difficult question to answer. I see more classes could be added. Not sure what they'd be called or what their jobs would be. Im sure that the "purists" would probably say that anything that strays too far from the current formats is totally unnatural or unnecessary. But, change is inevitable as we can already see with the developement of TF2 which in and of itself is definitely a change in direction from the "original" TFC. I cant say whether this is a good or a bad thing. This current format of TFC has its own merits to each person that plays it.
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Suite307

The Team Fortress needs to update into a Battlefield-ish type of gameplay. Or it's going to die.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
team fortress, tbh, i don't think there will be a tf3 i think tf2 will last like cs does, they might make tf2: something or equavlient when a new physics and grahpic thingy comes out and justr change graphics and a bit of game play but thats about it, tf style play will not live for ever, enough said i can honestly say with maybe another release or two of tf style games it might die out, unless they keep compeletly change gameplay which they might
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
i see the game in the future of TF in TF2...with more updates and unlockables and a kick ass game altogether.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
the concept of TF is timeless. it's about the execution.

introduce new enviornments, new weapons, new classes, new shit to do and it will be played.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

TF has been completely revamped with TF2...I see it going down the road of fully customizable characters within the parameters of the game, classes and what the creators put in. TF2 is heading down that road as it is with adding the new medic upgrades and future class upgrades to come. They are talking about adding "droppable" weapons. I see the TF franchise heading towards the direction of a First Person Shooter RPG...it's pretty much halfway there, all your stats are saved, and as I mentioned future unlockable achievements for the classes are coming. TF3, while a ways down the road, will no doubt have full customization and specialization of classes.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
tu!

tf = dead/almost dead
tf2 = turning into css/bf2/"insert other popular gmas here"
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
TF has been completely revamped with TF2...I see it going down the road of fully customizable characters within the parameters of the game, classes and what the creators put in. TF2 is heading down that road as it is with adding the new medic upgrades and future class upgrades to come. They are talking about adding "droppable" weapons. I see the TF franchise heading towards the direction of a First Person Shooter RPG...it's pretty much halfway there, all your stats are saved, and as I mentioned future unlockable achievements for the classes are coming. TF3, while a ways down the road, will no doubt have full customization and specialization of classes.
Would an MMOFPS be able to be classed as a Team Fortress game? Is that allowed?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Would an MMOFPS be able to be classed as a Team Fortress game? Is that allowed?
Well, take a look at what's classified as a Team Fortress game now...TF2 only resembles mildly what TF was originally, the only thing that really remains are the 9 specific classes, everything else is on the other side of the rainbow.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Well, take a look at what's classified as a Team Fortress game now...TF2 only resembles mildly what TF was originally, the only thing that really remains are the 9 specific classes, everything else is on the other side of the rainbow.
Yeah, but where's the point of no return? When is a game no longer a TF game? I would have thought an MMOFPS would have been that point.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I can almost see an MMOFPS in the Team Fortress sense coming together...

It'd be like Guild Wars, with waaaaaaay higher focus on PvP.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Yeah, but where's the point of no return? When is a game no longer a TF game? I would have thought an MMOFPS would have been that point.
Point of no return is when money and profit are no longer a factor. It's clear that Valve failed to listen to the people who waited for TF2 for so long...albeit it's a successful game, they don't have to listen in order to put out a profitable product.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Not to start a debate but where did you decide TF2 was going to be like TFC? TF2 wasn't going to be like TFC in 99 and was never promised to be such since.

Valve made a great game. If you like it great, if you didn't, great lets just keep it out of this please.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #16
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Not to start a debate but where did you decide TF2 was going to be like TFC? TF2 wasn't going to be like TFC in 99 and was never promised to be such since.

Valve made a great game. If you like it great, if you didn't, great lets just keep it out of this please.
We aren't talking about just TFC here though I thought, maybe I misspoke in my post, but TF2 was the latest installment in the TF franchise.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #17
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Yeah, I could see an MMOFPS out of TF. I can imagine playing as a soldier through the storyline and destroying the other teams.

4 Factions, anyone?
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #18
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
TF has came a long way since the days of Quake. TFC was arguably the reason we all know what TF stands for. TF2 came in and reinvented the TF concept while breathing new life into a near dead community.

When TF was around the thought of TFC was far off and even the TFC released is not what TFC ended up becoming as it evolved over time. TF2 is already following the same pattern by slowly changing and evolving. A TF3 is very very far down the road.

Where do you see TF going? What will TF2 add to the TF arsenal? Will we one day see the addition of another class? Will the Soldier and Heavy ever have special purpose other than killing? What do you think TF3 will be like?

My idea is that TFC-ish mods will always exist and probably continue to be put out there. If all things go well FF should be the dominant mod that best replicates TFC. I'm very interested to see what Valve does with all the classes after what they did with the Medic update. I think ultimately when it comes down to TF what Valve does next will pretty much set in motion the future of the "genre" (if we can call it that).
i think that if TF2 was marketed like it is, but had much more similar gameplay to TFC, like you know, a real sequel, it would still be as popular, if not more, than it is what it is now. it's not that TF2 'breathed new life', it was brought in at a good time, bundled with one of the most anticipated deals for a while, and advertising the hell out of it. not saying it's a bad game, no, but im saying if it was like TFC, it would be popular
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #19
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
tf = dead/almost dead
tf2 = turning into css/bf2/"insert other popular gmas here"
sadly true. TF2 is a good ga,e but i dont want it to turn into a RPG
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #20
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
We aren't talking about just TFC here though I thought, maybe I misspoke in my post, but TF2 was the latest installment in the TF franchise.
Well my point was that nobody ever knew what TF2 was going to be so there never was people saying what it should have been. The majority has enjoyed TF2. Please don't derail the topic because Valve didn't make a game for you. That was all I meant. This isn't about what you feel TF2 should have been this is what TF as a whole will be in the future.