Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
why are so many servers locked?

Last night, out of the 6 or 7 servers with people, half of them were locked. Its like half of the people that are playing FF are in private games.

I dont care if yall play private games, but geez. if 1/2 of your player base is in a password protected game, what does that tell the noobs?
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Q: why are so many servers locked?
A: because they can

Q: if 1/2 of your player base is in a password protected game, what does that tell the noobs?
A: nothing

We all have to wait for this mod to grow; it's still in early stages in my opinion. Wait for the Orange Box and a whole new mod with new ideas and visuals to grow sometime near the future. Hopefully new gameplay styles and such will attract new players soon

..and as to why, according to you, 50% of the player base are playing in locked servers is simply because we have a strong competative base for such a small mod. The people playing in these so called "locked servers" are always the same people, we are that dedicated. In contrast, the public scene is growing and attracting old and new players.

Certainly not 1/2 as you claim.

Last edited by Gator-; 02-04-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator- View Post

Certainly not 1/2 as you claim.
Next time, I'll take a screen shot just for you.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Gator-
FF God

Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
It has to do with the time, gentleman. Here's a little summary for you:

Early:
* EU Pub server nearly full
* Some EU pickups

Afternoon:
* EU Pub Server + 2-3 U.S. servers somewhat active
* Lots of EU pickups, some US pickups going on

Late night:
* U.S. servers nearly full
* Lots of U.S. pickups
* U.S. league matches!

Statistics:
http://www.gametracker.com/search/ff/

Last edited by Gator-; 02-04-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Gator, Kev is right. Typically, half of the servers with people playing are locked but the amount of players in the locked servers don't nearly equal the number of players in the pubs.

Kev, when Gator runs a pickup he has 4, 6 or 8 players while OT, eo or ae's server have 20+. Many of the league players (often including myself) don't like playing on public servers. I, personally, like to play the game a specific way (offense vs defense) and getting picked off by snipers or having 30 health when I get across the yard because a pyro decided to chase me isn't fun for me. Also, many players who play on locked servers don't like having 22 people on ANY map because there is far too much lag and FPS Drop due to excessive spam by pyros, demomen and HW guys. I really think that FF servers should be limited to 16 or 18 slots per server because that would make this game a lot more fun for many people - including 'noobs'.

It is nothing at all against the noobs - there are just two types of players who like to play the game a different way.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Class/Position: Fucker/On Your Mom
Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: #mimic #pick
the only time i have seen more private players than pub players is on UGC 5v5 nights (~45 players in UGC 5v5 if you count the people that sit rnd1)

Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
many valid points from all posts thus far. i can agree with kev what he is saying about his observation, but i can agree with illogicality's statement about people wanting to play specific structured way and i don't blame them either.

i love pubbing and helping the community so i try and pub at least once or twice a day/every other day for a bit. yet, i get tiresome at times when it's multiple snipers/pyros doing their thing. i used to get mad at people coming into public servers announcing that a pickup had started in #ff.pickup because then 1-2, sometimes 3 people would leave and then public server would go practically dead.

hopefully gator is right and when OB release comes more people will come around and be dedicated to this game and it's community. solid concern though, kev.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
unorganized games do get boring quick :/
Its fun when people like Soulja or Shang are playing D and I got one guy helping me on O. When we play AvD/ID/ADZ maps its fun to pub or DM maps as well. CTF is boring on a pub server since you got both teams Playing D and one guy going O.

So yeah thats why you see so many locked servers

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
BOSTWIX

Affiliations: DBD, Orbital, e0, .end, DP, COBs
Send a message via AIM to BOSTWIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post
Its fun when people like Soulja or Shang are playing D and I got one guy helping me on O. When we play AvD/ID/ADZ maps its fun to pub or DM maps as well. CTF is boring on a pub server since you got both teams Playing D and one guy going O.

Boom city
BOSTWIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
In TFC

CTF - Pickups, Odin's Graveyard
AvD / Skill Maps - Pubs

In FF

CTF - Pickups
AvD / Skill Maps - Pubs, Partial's P.P.P
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #11
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post

Exactly. Pubs get very dull very fast. If I'm going to pub, I'd rather play L4D, TF2, or CoD:WaW. That is, if I'm in the mood for FPS. This is the very last game I'd go to for pubbing simply because it's all DM and there are better games with better DM out there with modes that are specifically for DM.

AVD is dull in pubs. I either have to dumb the game down myself, or stomp the other players. It's just not any fun.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
then go play any of the aforementioned games and stop spreading your negative babble in our forums. You don't like playing in pubs, yeah - we get it.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Gator-
FF God

Yea, do you even like the game at all Credge? It doesn't seem like it

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality- View Post
then go play any of the aforementioned games and stop spreading your negative babble in our forums. You don't like playing in pubs, yeah - we get it.
Get over yourself. Our? This is as much >my< forum as it is >yours<. Just stop existing for a while, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator- View Post
Yea, do you even like the game at all Credge? It doesn't seem like it
No, not really. The game hasn't evolved at all since just about day 1. It doesn't go anywhere. Strategies haven't evolved, public players haven't become more skilled... there just hasn't been a marked improvement on the player base. The only ones interested in competitive play are the same ones that were interested in competitive play a year ago. The only ones interested in public play are the same ones interested in public play a year ago.

It's just been the same for a long time. I'd like to be optimistic about it but I can't anymore.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
Get over yourself. Our? This is as much >my< forum as it is >yours<. Just stop existing for a while, please.
I laughed. It's not like he said its HIS forums. chill out broski

But yeah.. I'm not much of a pub player unless people drag me into it. Pubs just get too boring and/or aggravating for me. When there are 3 pyros 2 snipers and a handful of hws/sollys in yard shooting eachother it's hard to play offense unless you join in on the spam fest. There are occasions where I'll play and enjoy it. but for the most part I just stick with ugc matches and the occasional 3v3 or something of the sort. I like the structure I guess.
teh_rape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
I find there are usually two or three 'good' players on either team on most CTF maps and this usually makes for a decent game, certainly a lot more fun than silly AvD as far as I'm concerned.

I don't particularly enjoy the random spamfest that AvD promotes and I don't understand the need for people to treat a team game like a DM game.

The AvD maps involve a huge amount of grenade spam, lots of HWGuy/Demoman spawnkilling and often biased teams. Randomly throwing grenades/spamming pipes/camping ladders (as HWGuy) are not things I categorise as skillful or that much fun. These things do end up happening on CTF maps as well at times but that's usually the result of biased teams (again) or poor gameplay from people who should know better.

As for passworded servers, it's not that big a deal to me and I doubt new players are very bothered by it. They are far more likely to be wondering why only around 10% of the 60 or so servers ever have any players on regardless of them being private or not.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
I <3 xks
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
~kev~
pmagnvs

There are lots of good points in this thread. As far as I am concerned, there is no right or wrong answer.

There is one thing for sure, the FF community needs more players.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
There is one thing for sure, the FF community needs more players.
Pretty sure we all agree to that and soon I hope

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #20
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Credge is right about no strategies evolving to be honest. Well, that require teamwork that is. I never see medics and offensive classes teaming up or having organized strikes at the enemy base. These are things I already see happen when I rarely spend my time on TF2.

Enough off-topicness. I just looked at the server list to see the 7 servers with players have 3 of those passworded.