Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #101
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
There is a time and a place for "moshing" and somewhere you get kicked out for doing it is not it. If you try and "start a mosh" somewhere it isn't appeciated you're basically just making an arse of yourself and annoying a bunch of people.
thats good when you hate everyone around you

i did it because they have no iron maiden, yet have 70s/80s cheese like black lace
So you hate people because they're part of a different clique from you and the club you're at doesn't play the music you want.

Yes, you will get kicked out of clubs for being a jerk. This is not news. Nor is it an acheivement.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #102
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
but when its near enough the ONLY club in town (yes welcome to cornwall) then i'll feel free to take my taste to the clubs. if a rock club pops up im sure a lot of custom will be lost
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 AM   #103
o_otiz

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Must be pretty shitty to go to a concert with that bad music

(Slipknot, Linkin Park)

*sigh*
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 03:11 AM   #104
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by otiz
Must be pretty shitty to go to a concert with that bad music

(Slipknot, Linkin Park)

*sigh*
Unless that's the music you like, in which case I bet it's great.

But how could that possibly be? No one's taste is permitted to deviate from your own!

Quote:
but when its near enough the ONLY club in town (yes welcome to cornwall) then i'll feel free to take my taste to the clubs. if a rock club pops up im sure a lot of custom will be lost
But, if what is effectively the only club in town doesn't play music you like, and is full of people you hate... why the fuck do you go?

Old 08-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #105
o_otiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous

But how could that possibly be? No one's taste is permitted to deviate from your own!
I don't want this to blow into a head-on music discussion but I'll say this. If you like that style of music it's probably because that's what is popular at the time and you'll grow out of it, with age or just when the next flavour of the month hits you.

Now if you actually enjoy that style of music, there's so much more than said bands. Explore.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:39 AM   #106
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Quote:

I don't want this to blow into a head-on music discussion but I'll say this. If you like that style of music it's probably because that's what is popular at the time and you'll grow out of it, with age or just when the next flavour of the month hits you.

Now if you actually enjoy that style of music, there's so much more than said bands. Explore.
Heh.

1. Actually I'm not that big a fan of Slipknot, but I've liked Linkin Park for a long time, since not long after Hybrid Theory came out. I actually like the music, what they do with it. The feel. I even like the raps, which is normally a genre I can't stand. What makes them so special? I have no idea. But I doubt I like them because "they're popular," since I don't bother getting in touch with what's popular to begin with. I didn't really realize LP was still "big."

2. Well no duh there are more bands. There are always more bands. I've been trying out all kinds of different stuff lately - some I like, some I don't. It's rare that I like every song a band has done, and sticking solidly to one band is just plain foolish. You can only listen to a CD so many times in a row before it gets old, you know?

I guess you just assumed you were talking to an idiot that doesn't have any idea what he likes or how to find new music. A mistake, to be sure, as few people really do that. I guess people just think it's fun to call others joiners. To sort of put themselves a step above. Sorta pathetic, really. I don't consider myself any better than any other fan just because I "liked them before they were big" or have been "with them longer," because that's just stupid. True appreciation for what a band does doesn't have anything to do with how quickly you picked up on them. You can always go back and get their older stuff if that's your inclination (something I did plenty of with LP. Got about 7 of their demo tracks now).

I'm sure you fully comprehend all of this. Probably even share my opinions. That's great. But being rude to people who like a certain band that happens to be popular is pretty lame, you know?

(Maybe you're jealous that the bands you like aren't popular. :P )

All that said, nah, no need for a long-winded, drawn-out, flame-spewing discussion of the matter. I think by now, we all know better than to go around laughing at the kind of music other people like (except for the occasional, good-natured ribbing). Don't we?

Old 08-20-2005, 03:53 AM   #107
o_etzell

Quote:

So if someone likes that style of music, they're forbidden to like a band that is more famous? Wow.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 04:01 AM   #108
o_otiz

Quote:
I guess you just assumed you were talking to an idiot that doesn't have any idea what he likes or how to find new music. A mistake, to be sure, as few people really do that. I guess people just think it's fun to call others joiners. To sort of put themselves a step above. Sorta pathetic, really. I don't consider myself any better than any other fan just because I "liked them before they were big" or have been "with them longer," because that's just stupid. True appreciation for what a band does doesn't have anything to do with how quickly you picked up on them. You can always go back and get their older stuff if that's your inclination (something I did plenty of with LP. Got about 7 of their demo tracks now).
First you assume that I my posts were pointed solely at you (fair, since I quoted you -- the posts were hypothetical though) but then you go on assuming things about me as a person.

Quote:
(Maybe you're jealous that the bands you like aren't popular. :P )
I'd be quite amazed if some of those genre ever become mainstream, they are just not reliable enough. They aint the chili peppers that put out the same record every time.

Besides, if that would be popular I'd feel weird listening to it.

Quote:
All that said, nah, no need for a long-winded, drawn-out, flame-spewing discussion of the matter. I think by now, we all know better than to go around laughing at the kind of music other people like (except for the occasional, good-natured ribbing). Don't we?
Well, your post was a bit flamy and hypocritical but I suppose I was a bit immature too.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:04 AM   #109
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

1. Hey, you started it.

2a. Burn. But hey, a lot of bands that change their sound around from album to album (even song to song) are fairly popular.
2b. Why? That just seems silly.

3. We all have our days. At any rate, we can agree the whole thing is silly and can let it go, eh?

Old 08-20-2005, 04:29 AM   #110
o_otiz

Aye, we most certainly can! Roll a d20 there? .. bet you get that all the time.

Anyways, off to bed. It's 04:30 here.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #111
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

...actually, no, that was the first time.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #112
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
So because the only club in town does not play the music you like, you go there? And act like a jerk? And you call yourself an Iron Maiden fan o_0
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #113
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yes.. i'll stay at home all night and drink a few gallons of cider shall i?

they keep saying how they cater for all genres, so i like to prove its bullshit.

ANYWAY, keeping this thread back on to the topic of guitars and not music tastes.... amps and stuff - what do you guys own, and whats your dream amp? :D

i currently have a marshall valvestate 8100 head, which is a valve preamp and solid power stage, but id like a peavey 5150 all valve :)

i also have a laney DP150 solid bass head, but again id like a trace elliot all valve jobby

Old 08-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #114
o_loader

otiz wtf.

I have liked SlipKnot for ages. Not because they are 'popular', I don't give a flying monkey's how well they are doing, I LIKE the music!! :O OH NOES I LEIK TEH MUSIC!"21
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #115
o_osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
otiz wtf.

I have liked SlipKnot for ages. Not because they are 'popular', I don't give a flying monkey's how well they are doing, I LIKE the music!! :O OH NOES I LEIK TEH MUSIC!"21
Fucking rights.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #116
o_loader

Nice pic m8!!

Mick owns tbh, he's one of the best metal guitarists around imo.

Whats your fave song?? Mine, atm, is Before I Forget \m/
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #117
o_osiris

I dont have a favourite Slipknot song, its so hard to pick one. I mean, there's Wait and Bleed, Circle, Pulse of the Maggots, Heretic Anthem... shall I go on??

My current favourite song is Watershed by Coal Chamber, I just learned about the band a few days ago (surprisingly) and damn I love it. Download "Shock the Monkey", its a damn good song, and it features ozzy for that extra kick up into uberness.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #118
o_darknight

/me walks into thread.

I think I ought to stay quiet on this current subject lest I start an arguement about it.

/me walks out of thread.
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #119
o_fisheye

i got myself a new 12 stringer a couple of months ago. nothing fancy(it's a westfield), but i've been promising myself one ever since i gave a (ex) mate a loan of my last one (yamaha )and the little prick pawned it, which must be nearly ten years ago now. the old 6 string that i've had for over 20 years (yoshi) still sounds crispy clean, and feels sooo much easier to play after a couple of months on the 12.

btw, how many songs do you need to like before you like the band?
o_fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #120
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

\o/ at least someone took notice of my anti-derailing post.

im currently borrowing my mates yamaha 12 string. it sounds nice, but i feel its harmonics lack the deep low end my epiphone 6 string gives