Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #81
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjorn
Your admin, rather than simply remove the flag holder, and then deal with the swearing, decided to deal with the swearing first, which made the guy even more frustrated, and even more swearing
I understand your point. My point is there are several other ways he could have tried to bring it to the attention of the admins in the server. He tried over microphone and that did not work. He did not type it out, he did not type it in "amx_chat" which goes to only the administrators on the server. When he started swearing he got their attention, yes, but someone who continues to swear when told not to and then mouths off to the admins is not going to be taken seriously.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #82
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
So what's the problem with having people who can't bhop AT ALL and others that can bhop?
I see no problem with either type of people, both are allowed to play on our server. We just ask that they do not bhop, even thought they are able to do it.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #83
Afty

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
It'll depend on the Admin on the server. Bhop is something that some can recognize and other's can't. If you bhop and are warned I would suggest you stop, otherwise they will either kick or ban you (admin's discretion) If you intentionally ignore the server policies that'll get you a ban for sure. (see server rules in my tag line)

Click on the ban-info in my signature for more details.
Thats cool , i only asked as the only real form of movement i use in tfc is bhop and it would be mighty easy to slip into it without thinking.
Afty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #84
Fjorn

ah, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that all swearing was banned
Fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #85
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
ah, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that all swearing was banned
Nope, swear all you want, just don't do it over mic or type it into server.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #86
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afty
to me it seems that anyone who bans a part of the game that takes skill to achieve is just annoyed they cant do it themselves and that other players are better than them.

Im just a general player, i pub mainly and havent clanned for a long time. But i wouldn't play on server that limited bhop, or that excluded a class completley.
I pulled this from the other thread so we can keep the bhop conversation in one thread. Let me ask you this. In TFC you can take a soldier's nail grenade and throw it up at the ceiling below the sniper deck in 2fort and it'll kill everyone on the sniper deck. Do you consider that a skill, or an exploit of the physics of the game? Or being able to move around on the ground as a feigned spy, is that a skill or an exploit of the game?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #87
Fjorn

Its both honestly

same as rocket jumping, nade jumping, pipe jumping, conc jumping, and bunny hopping

IT just happens to not be accepted because it wasn't in the original TF, and is a bug purely TFC in origin

Old 05-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #88
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Okay, okay.
I think we all got the "if you're not mature and/or 10 years old, you can still play on O-T but you have to act like you're mature and/or 10 years old" thing. And you're so right.

But what about other restrictions?
I really like(d) "clanwar style" public servers.
Without rediculous tactics (off-HW, def-medic, etc) off-v-off shit and midmap deathmatch.
Anyone into that as well or wants to flame that? The O-T discussion is boring...
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #89
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

I'm not familiar with clan-war style servers... We will occasionally have special matches that have class limits.

For instance, our newest challenge has been to have two players on defense (classes of their choice), and 5 people on offense (forced team of 2 medics and 3 scouts). The defense chooses the map. Offensive gets 10 points per flag cap, Defense gets 1 point for each kill. Most points wins.

If you'd like to watch one of those matches we do broadcast them on HLTV, it's a riot.

Scuzzy

Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #90
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
I pulled this from the other thread so we can keep the bhop conversation in one thread. Let me ask you this. In TFC you can take a soldier's nail grenade and throw it up at the ceiling below the sniper deck in 2fort and it'll kill everyone on the sniper deck. Do you consider that a skill, or an exploit of the physics of the game? Or being able to move around on the ground as a feigned spy, is that a skill or an exploit of the game?

Even though they both require minimum skill to perform, they are definitely exploits.
Hell, I know how to do the feign spy walk

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #91
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Even though they both require minimum skill to perform, they are definitely exploits.
Hell, I know how to do the feign spy walk
Agreed, what's the difference between those and bhopping?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #92
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

bhopping...umm, that's also a exploit I believe, see in other games what happens when you constantly press the space button? I don't know , bhop is unknown to me...
Edit: oh, they're the same, both need skill to perform and once performed=exploit, discussion ovah for now.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #93
Afty

Quote:
Yes these are both exploits. However, by your logic here, is not conc jumping an exploit? The intended use of conc grenades is not to propel players through the air, it is to disorientate enemys enabling you to get by unharmed or to make it easier for you to attack them.

If i conc onto the balcony in 2fort with a primed grenade and kill all the players there, have i not effectivly just achieved what the nail grenade bug does through exploiting the phsyics of the conc grenade?

What about rampsliding ?

If i were to HH conc up the sd2 ramp and slide pas the defence into the FR would i be exploiting ?

How about if i grenade/rocket jump out of the pit on crossover2 with the flag ? - hence exploiting acceleration through explosion?

Last edited by Afty; 05-09-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Afty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #94
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Agreed, what's the difference between those and bhopping?
Bunnyhopping and air control require skill and add a lot of depth to gameplay. The bug exploits you mention only require knowledge and don't add anything good to the game.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #95
Fjorn

TFC is the only fortress mod where a good portion of the community actually think bhopping is a bad thing...

Thats always confused me really, every other fortress mods go "buhhh....." at the idea of no bhop, but TFC, you get people that go 'sure, lets do this!'

You even have people making plugins to do so

Its always bewildered me, as to why an integral part of TF is seen as unwanted by TFC
It does help explain why QTF sees TFC as the bastard offspring of TF however

Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #96
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I just realized concing is pure skill and not an exploit at all.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #97
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibunny
We protect children from bad words to make sure they can enjoy a peaceful game of blowing people to bits or infecting them with mysterious tropical diseases...
QFT

I plan on having a FF server when it comes out... starting at arond 16 slots and eventually upgrading to 26, custom map or alchimy (alchimy was originally made for 9v9, so it can have a healthy number of players on it).

I personally do not see the logic in stopping swearing in a game that is Rated M (17+), but I do see the logic in server owners can do whatever the Hell they want.

Also, I would like to say,
shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits, fart, turd, and twat.

drippy-'s 2fort has a rule called "no whining". Any complaining about the game in pubchat (or even teamchat/voice, depending on the admin's discretion) gets a !whine. The first !whine is a warning. The second one is 5 minutes. As more accumulate, the bans can go 1 hour, 2 hours, 1 day, 2 days, etc. all the way up to 5 days. If you bitch enough on their servers you learn to be careful with complaining about shit while you are there.

I was thinking of having a sort of reverse "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" secret word. If you say the randomized words a dancing GIF of Pee-Wee Herman comes on screen with the message "YOU GOT POANED!" and you get a 5 minute ban. d:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #98
Fjorn

!whine is both the best and worst plugin I have heard of

tell me more about this !whine

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #99
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
!whine is both the best and worst plugin I have heard of

tell me more about this !whine
The server really does not have the rules spelled out other than the simple "no cheating, no nail exploiting, no whining" etc. But the admins have a lot of freedom as to how they want to enforce them. I wrote a thread in the D2F forums with an attempt to explain the rules in the best detail possible based on the precedence of incidents and the banning thereof. Here is what I wrote for the whining rule:

3. No whining!

Whining is defined as any complaining whatsoever about the game, your team, or the other team. You are welcome to complain about yourself all the time.
This rule is very subjective... saying "you guys suck" in pubchat to the other team might be considered a whine by some admins and not a whine by others.
Basically, try not to complain about the game. Saying things like "this map sucks", "this server sucks", etc. might get you a whine. If you do feel like complaining, complain in teamchat, not pubchat, as it will reduce your chances of catching a whiner ban. (Do note that some admins will !whine excessive complainers even if they stick to teamchat.)
Saying things that should be in teamchat ("I got a teleporter to their flag room!") might be considered a whine. (Either way, revealing team strategy is altogether stupid, so try not to do it.) Admins will likely warn you to please use teamchat for team-related communications.

Quote:
We will not restrict bhopping at the release of the game.
I do not think you can...

For one thing, it is not going to be a server variable that you can change.

Of course, that is what plugins are for... but then again, knowing how the FF team wants to keep movement consistent, they might just break the plugins in future updates to keep people from restricting BHOP. IMO the split between BHOP and anti-BHOP servers is one of the things that undid TFC, and I hope that they swiftly break any plugins that come along to restrict it in any way that departs from how it was originally designed.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #100
Sabre
Creg

Every server i've had the misfortune to play on with silly rules like no BH has been run by old men who (as most old men do) struggle to adapt to change and progress. BH was an evolution in TFC and made the game great, trying to cling on to the way the game once played seems a little sad and depressing to me. If FF and TF2 move fotress play on and evolve into something i don't particularly enjoy, i'd prefer to quit and start a new game rather than enforce silly rules on my server to recreate the way the game was when i liked it. Yes these servers survive because there are enough people out there who are scared of and can't compete once changes are made.

On the swearing issue, ok, banning swearing probably is justified on a kids server but for those suggesting swearing a is sign of a lack of maturity you really need to take a step into the real world as swearing is part of it. No it isn't offensive to be asked not to swear, but i imagine most just want to chill out and play games without feeling like your back at school, getting a slapped wrist for saying naughty words. Yes it's your server and yes you're entitled to run it how you want, doesn't stop people trying to talk some sense into you though.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote