Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
A map like 2fort does not take 8+ months to make, not if the community is regularely spewing out maps and models. Also, I am well aware of the effort it takes to change the little things and those little things have changed, at least code-wise. Apart from the internals of the game changing, I don't recall seeing any new maps, models or anything whatsoever. From my viewpoint, it looks like a bunch of codemonkeys are doing all the work.
They are...that's how it works...at least until we get an animator. In terms of new models...every class model and Sg was changed, as were the nades and pipes, and the jump pad was made completely from scratch and added in.

The only thing that can't be solved by "code monkeys" is the animation issues.

WRT 2fort...no your right it doesn't usually, but as with many other things...2fort was being worked by someone. That person left and passed their work onto another. That person left and didn't leave anything behind...New person had to start from scratch. Generally a good map takes anywhere from 3 - 5 months (if not longer) IMHO and that's not including the critique of the beta testers and devs and RL. With the official maps you are under a lot more scrutiny and everything has to be perfect before it's approved. That's why it's taking so long.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #8122
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
-Since, there have been 2 patches supporting it.(within 5 months of release)

1.1 1.11 and 2.0.

But yeah, otherwise right on the money. Good form.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #8123
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
So yeah...

Generally the devs get hostile because to be honest, after working a pretty tiring day at work in the real world, the last thing you want is to have to deal with whining repeat threads about how the mod sucks and how you suck and how they'd improve the mod.

You never see anyone stepping up to take the torch either.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #8124
scout
/KBN/ the_cake

let me just say me and everyone else who actually PLAYS ff really enjoy the (free) time and effort the devs put into this game. Criticisms aren't bad but all out bitching is just lame.

I wish we could all get along and help to get this mod off it's feet instead of giving the dev's headaches.

As for 2fort, just play blis ffs. It's better than the original 2fort anyway.
scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #8125
Suite307

REVIVAL!
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #8126
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
A map like 2fort does not take 8+ months to make, not if the community is regularely spewing out maps and models. Also, I am well aware of the effort it takes to change the little things and those little things have changed, at least code-wise. Apart from the internals of the game changing, I don't recall seeing any new maps, models or anything whatsoever. From my viewpoint, it looks like a bunch of codemonkeys are doing all the work.
Being a mapper, your completely wrong. A well polished map takes a lot of time to make. Dev_2fort takes all of a month to do the geometry and texture since its so basic. If you want to actually utilize what Source gives you, to make maps worthy to be played on source, it takes time.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #8127
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
thanks suite307, i had forgotten that this thread existed for this sole purpose. any and all bitching about updates, new patch, etc, go HERE. do NOT make a new thread bitching about ff being dead, wanting a new patch, devs not being around, etc. any new thread made will be moved here. again, loud and clear,

DO NOT MAKE ANY NEW THREADS BITCHING ABOUT A LACK OF UPDATES OR PLAYERS

those who do not adhere to this warning will find themselves on vacation from the forums for a little bit.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Last edited by Skanky Butterpuss; 04-29-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #8128
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Ah I love this thread...well put skanky!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #8129
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
415 pages?! That's a lot of complaining.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #8130
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

A video, donations, an animator, training mode, 2fort, bug fixes on maps like dustbowl...and none of it in 8 months?

We get it, the Devs get busy with real life...but why not search for more people to fill the void? The logic just isn't there for me...maybe I just don't see why of all the people on the Interwebs and that pass through this site daily that the Dev team lacks people to do productive things? I'd volunteer myself if I knew I'd be a benefit to the community, but I have no clue how to code, animate, I know very little about mapping, but fortunately, there are a lot of other people who do. We need someone to be proactive and go after an animator and more people to fix the basics to build for the future. It's odd to think this mod is 4 months away from it's 1 year birthday...and we're only a handful of bug fixes, a man cannon, and skittle colored grenades in to it's initial release.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #8131
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
I'd volunteer myself if I knew I'd be a benefit to the community, but I have no clue how to code, animate
coincidentally, this is the position of most of the people that know about FF and want to see it succeed. if finding an animator is as easy as you seem to think it is, go find us one. i promise we will be thankful.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #8132
Bakez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Not really sure what your talking about here...the wiki is the first and ONLY place people should go to DL the mod and it's very straight forward IMO.
Please don't try to deny that this was a massive problem and it took an ice age for somebody to resolve it. I couldn't honestly believe my eyes when I saw download links on the website linking to the wrong version weeks after a new patch was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
It's been said multiple times that 2fort is being worked on...there is even a thread with SS's in the PUBLIC mapping section right now.
Links inside a forum a really there for everyone to see. It's the same story with the tutorials.

Quote:
Um please name one Multi-player game you have ever played that actually had a training mode AND didn't have a SP mode as well...AND is made by a 3rd party and not an huge corporation like Valve. Yes I know they said it would come, but shit takes time... As you will in every game that has any depth from any new person that joins up...that's the nature of the beast and I'm not really sure how this is the devs fault.
No other game that I know of has the learning curve of TFC or FF. It has been discussed as one of the major reasons of TFC's decline since about 2002. You don't need a training mode for this mod, but you need a way to help new players get onto this learning curve.. and since it's been decided that it will be done by having a training mode rather than making slight alterations to the game (as I have suggested many times before), you need it pretty damn fast. You miss out on every new player that tries the mod, then runs around with a Scout trying to kill people before moaning about how shit and 'unbalanced' the game is - little do they know that to play some classes in FF you don't have to kill people.

Quote:
This was an issue with the installer being corrupt...would you have ratherd we left the links up for people to download corrupted content?

While I agree that the game wasn't released in a great condition and was probably released on the worst date possible, I think we are winning back players each day and the game is getting better.
I really hope you are right about this, but to me it doesn't seem like it and you seem like one of the idiot FF fanboys who are oblivious to any problems with it. Like I said before, it looks like FF is being developed by a group of coders/code monkeys with little or no direction on the business part of the mod. Oh how I'd love to use a stereotype here.

There are so many real life case studies of where a great product has completely failed or has been beaten by an inferior one because of poor business and marketing decisions. Unfortunately I feel FF is becoming one of them
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #8133
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakez
Please don't try to deny that this was a massive problem and it took an ice age for somebody to resolve it. I couldn't honestly believe my eyes when I saw download links on the website linking to the wrong version weeks after a new patch was released.
Nope I do agree and that's why the WST was made and why it now links to the wiki...this is called progress.

Quote:
Links inside a forum aren't really there for everyone to see. It's the same story with the tutorials.
I'm assuming you had a typo there so I fixed it in bold...

No they aren't...but why would we advertise a half done map? It's a WIP and it's discussed on the forums. I understand that when someone jumps in game to play 2fort and see that room they are confused, but until the mapper and betas and dev team feel it's ready it won't be released.

Quote:
No other game that I know of has the learning curve of TFC or FF. It has been discussed as one of the major reasons of TFC's decline since about 2002. You don't need a training mode for this mod, but you need a way to help new players get onto this learning curve.. and since it's been decided that it will be done by having a training mode rather than making slight alterations to the game (as I have suggested many times before), you need it pretty damn fast. You miss out on every new player that tries the mod, then runs around with a Scout trying to kill people before moaning about how shit and 'unbalanced' the game is - little do they know that to play some classes in FF you don't have to kill people.
They have multiple things from arrows and signs, to the loading screens, to the hint box to help newbs out. Do we need the training mode, yes. Does something like that take a very long time to do on your free time for free, yes. Is it being worked on, YES.

Quote:
I really hope you are right about this, but to me it doesn't seem like it and you seem like one of the idiot FF fanboys who are oblivious to any problems with it. Like I said before, it looks like FF is being developed by a group of coders/code monkeys with little or no direction on the business part of the mod. Oh how I'd love to use a stereotype here.
Trust me...I am right, I tested and re-uploaded every single one of the corrupt installers hoping it was the right one. And the idiot fanboy statement is laughable. Yes I love this mod and try to do everything I can to support it, but that doesn't mean I am incapable of seeing it's faults. I know there are some and I know that some are worse then others, but I also know the work that is being put in and I can look past them to see what a truly great game it really is. I also know bitching about every little thing gets you no where.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #8134
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

I just want to bitch. Ok I'm done.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #8135
_MJ_
Mapper

_MJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #8136
Skillet

How many ppl still play?

This is a great game, how many ppl still play the mod? 30 or so? Just wondering, I am trying to find a new game, I beat Call of Duty 4 the other day and tried UT3 which has horride graphics, hopefully a new game will emerge soon that will be huge.

Skillet
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #8137
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

You should play Fortress Forever, I hear it's a really good game.
teh_rape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #8138
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
troll

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #8139
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

have a nice, long vacation, skillet.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #8140
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
lol.. fanboy Skillet following his gurus?

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote