Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #61
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I stopped playing when all the pubs turned into 2fort/dustbowl only servers or servers with bots. Dustbowl is good for a rotation but 2fort was boring after the first week I played the game. Bots just don't work.

About 3 or 4 months ago I started playing again and found some servers that didn't have bots and did have an interesting map rotation. It's good to know that I've still got the knack.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #62
o_diggler

After years of playing just got bored of it. I had been playing TFC since before 2000, and well over time all of the people I played with started vanishing to other games and my interest started to wane.

I've only been inactive for around 6 months now after playing pretty much daily for 6 years or so. Oh WoW also helped to destroy TFC for me
o_diggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 07:25 AM   #63
o_sivi

I haven't stopped playing TFC, and I've been playing since before CS came out in 1999.

It is not as good as it used to be though, now its all conc/nade/rocket jumping, taking a lot of the fun out of it, especially on Attack/Defend maps. There's too high a contrast now between new comers and the pro's because of this, before when that didn't exist and people didn't do it, it used to be all about how good you could fight, not fly around the map. Maps like avanti and dustbowl would take tactics, its just lost now.
o_sivi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #64
o_apex

I simply got tired of it.
o_apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #65
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivi
Maps like avanti and dustbowl would take tactics, its just lost now.
Tactics are still used.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #66
o_frags

Stopped playin when most off the original clan members of CiC lost intrest, got a bit of a chore to play as some people have said. Being CL didnt help neither, tryin to motivate others as well as myself was hard work. Wasn't the same playing with a bunch of people you didn't really know rather than friends who youve known for years. But we started to play again recently with some old members and a few new ones, hopefully we will make the leap over to FF when it's out.

The friendships formed in clan life was what made it fun for me, had a few good piss ups with the guys and hopefully will have a few more
o_frags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #67
o_elvis2049

stoped??
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #68
o_mescalito

elvis, did you just corrected this dudes spelling?

cut the crap man. xcept shadow2343 and nagual1563, none of you ppl with numbers in their nick can spell ROFL
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #69
o_zippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesePlant
So why did you stop playing TFC, annoyed by a patch? Got bored of the graphics? tired of the gameplay?
no new updates ...
o_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #70
o_elvis2049

nope didnt correct it.
dont care bout spelling tbh
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #71
o_grom

i stopped playing when people started holding grenades... i stopped playing when i couldent have a SG up for more then 30 secs... i stopped playing when every server became 2fort... i stopped playing when... ok ill stop.

sigh i remeber days when people dident hold grenades till right befor they blew up, days when if you could rocket jump up on the sniper deck on 2fort you were godly, days when the conc jump was a medic jumping in the water (on 2fort) and throwing a conc on the bottom and swiming to the top of the water so it blast you out.

its also very lame to get spammed when trying to snipe

i play cs alot now i think it takes alot more skill, all i do in tfc is either dustbowl or conc maps. i hope FF will respark my childhood intrest in tfc once again... lol
o_grom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 AM   #72
o_ambex

This is the real story

Long time ago like 2 - 3 years back I supposed to play TFC every day, every morning/evening. It was fun to me and nothing better existed for me then, this game. It was brilliant and every class the game gave you was never boring to play. I don't know why I played it so much, maybye it was addictive? I loved to swith levels from the orginals to others like schtop,
vidars2, wrath (the best map ever, I promes you, It was the best map ever i played so far), and many mulch maps because they owned and were funny.

Then at that time I belived in myself, that I was best or something, evertime
at the end of the game I was allways up first on the score list, with a huge amout of points in kills. I learned all TFC things fastly like concjumping, et.c and trained hardly on many concmaps with a couple of friends. Mostly I played as the medic dude the time, then I changed to a more heavy class, the heavy guy but also the slowest one. Days were going and i played, played over and over again. Until the steam plattform arrived, the teleporters made a place and the
stupid bots filled all the servers. Time from time the clans ended up, their pages got down, they splitted and died. Truely, I looked forward to join a good clan but never gave myself the chanse to take the opportunity to do it.

Team Fortress Classic, have been as some good mate for me, like we've been friends together for long, but now he moved to another place away from me.

Counter-Strike, on that time were still updating in slowly betas, but teamfortress were more bug free if I rememer. I rather played it more.

I lost completly my interest in the game, it's boring now, the graphic is somewhere out of date and i don't feel what I felt before, you need that special feeling when you playing a game.

Well, that was all for today I could remember. I think we have all experienced almost near the same things in this life.

Tell your story. I hopes FF will give me back my time.

Sorry for my english grammar, we know it sucks.

Last edited by o_ambex; 05-01-2006 at 07:18 AM.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #73
o_gman55

I still play TFC every day - and have been doing so for six years. I've never played clan matches and most of the time I'm playing Dustbowl. Call me lame or just easy to please, but no other game is as fun as TFC when you've got a good Dbowl game going. I usually take a hiatus from TFC every few months, just to keep the game fresh.

The only things that keep me from playing more are:

1. CTF maps. Pub servers lack the coordination to make them any fun. On A/D maps, even an idiot team can follow the flow to a cap point. Well and 2fort got old after two weeks. The only CTF map that’s any good for pubs is Shutdown2.

2. Change in play style from when I started. Like others have said, the constant nade jumping is a relatively recent addition to the game. Back in the day, it was a b.f.d. if a soldier managed to cap Dbowl stage III by rocking jumping from the pit. Now, most caps are done by a nade-jumping spy who travels so fast that nothing hits him. Totally ruins the experience.

3. Lack of medium-skilled players. Like most older games, you either have the total newbs (who just discovered Half-Life) or the old timers who can kick your ass just by looking at you. Despite playing TFC so much, I've never been awe-inspiringly good. Solid, but never "good."

4. Team stacking. Related to point 3. Certain players get a rep if they play a server long enough, and others will gravitate to their team. Indeed, some snipers can manage a 7:1 ratio. So to avoid getting owned by said sniper, the newbs will simply unbalance the teams and fight with him. On the Dark Realm server, many games are totally lopsided in terms of skill.
o_gman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #74
o_ambex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman55

The only things that keep me from playing more are:

2. Change in play style from when I started. Like others have said, the constant nade jumping is a relatively recent addition to the game. Back in the day, it was a b.f.d. if a soldier managed to cap Dbowl stage III by rocking jumping from the pit. Now, most caps are done by a nade-jumping spy who travels so fast that nothing hits him. Totally ruins the experience.

This is the thing. Many newbies has also started to cheat on servers, with cheats like seeing enemies thru walls, ogc or speedhacks. It's anoyying to see when a fatguy rushes with a speed of light with a crowbar to your face and breaks your neck. It's just anoyying. People can't even play TFC good anymore. There are no rules it seems like, and the nade spam have became some sort of a standard to do.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #75
o_sprmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
Pray tell what are these scripts you talk of? If you mean bhop scripts then i guess they are somewhat widespread, but they only replicate the spin of a mousewheel. Perhaps you mean reload scripts, Hardly replaces skill though does it? Its merely a tool of the lazy I cant really think of any others that might be widespread, and certainly none that are a replacement for any particular skill.
I didn't need any scripts (cep't auto reload) to stay on top in the time when =BC= were still active. He's right about Natural-Selection tho.. after 3.0 or so.

Oh, I stopped playing tfc when it died, when =BC= [BAD] [DW] folded.

Last edited by o_sprmarine; 05-01-2006 at 12:09 PM.
o_sprmarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #76
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom
i stopped playing when people started holding grenades...
Are you joking? The ability to hold a grenade was included for a reason... To hold it, and preparation. That really is one of the stupidest reasons for leaving a game; because people were doing something they should be doing.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #77
o_spiderman

because now the tfc is dead in brazil ;(
o_spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #78
o_dan

because I play too much DotA these days
o_dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #79
o_qui

Dota is a terrible, terrible game.

Try playing the actual game, its more fun, diverse and intense.

Back to the thread. I had two main clans in my time, they both died after some time. Made some good pals there, and even when we didnt practice anymore and became crap, it was still fun to play 2 or 3 times a week coz it was with the guys who you spent so much time with in "the good old days".

There was a point in TFC, just before i left for uni (2002) where it was just so competitive. Even division 3 was a tough competition, everyone practicing and playing so much. I remember playing tfc for hours a day, just so i could be that much sharper for the clan match. I remember it was all week bar fridays and saturdays. And even then, i would probably play anyway.

And everything about the whole clan experience was so passionate. It was a joy to be involved with such a thing with such amazing people. I dont consider it a waste of time as i have so many amazing memories of so many different emotions during league competition

Now, its just not the same, people have moved on and i dont really care about being good anymore (not that i ever really got any good :P)

Now I play dustbowl and other assaulty type things as everyone seems to understand the point of the game mode, unlike CTF where public play involves mid map boredom. But i only really play occasionally, nowhere near as much as i used to.

When FF comes out its debatable whether it will be the same, infact i know it wont be for me. Myself, and all the people who i played with, wont have the time to be so committed to it. But hopefully it will get some life and rekindle some of that passion

Last edited by o_qui; 05-01-2006 at 10:04 PM.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #80
o_norris

Not stopped yet but year 2006 is a bad year. most likely 1-2 games á week for me and my clan atm. Used to play 4 á week in 2005. Trying to keep me addicted to tfc due some public play but it's kinda boring. Same opponent players, same clans, same setups..

anyway skillevel goes downhill for some reason. Played with half of my team 2004 in div1-2 and became one of euro top teams now, not that we improved that much... It's just the fact that I barely see any good soldiers or demoman around nowadays.
o_norris is offline   Reply With Quote