Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #41
o_vertical

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Well photoshop is perfectly fine for making a site, so long as you don't open up imageready, and expect to be able to slice and export it and have everything hunky dory. I have been doing HTML, etc. for many years, and I couldn't figure out that load of crap it spit out. If you want to design a site in Photoshop, be my guest, but when you cut the pieces, do it by hand and export one slice (section of the entire site image) at a time, and manually code it into the site. There are many ways of creating a site, graphics first, code first, graphics and code at the same time, etc. Normally, I do code first, then add graphics where needed. But then again, I'm really no good at graphics All in all, PS is good at graphics, and bad at code.
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #42
o_nodnarb

thanks for the help guys. I can honestly say that CSS is not my fortay, so it may be a while be for a make a move over to div. Thanks for the advice though
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #43
o_tennovan

I meant I'd open up Photoshop and put an image together, not code. There's nothing I hate more than being given a template file from the creatives with bloated Imageready code. It means I've gotta go back in and complete rewrite the template usually.

Anyways, CSS isn't hard at all nodnarb. I'm guessing you're already using styles, CSS would clean that right up. I'm sure the site looks great, unless you're using gif spacers... in which case I'll cry.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #44
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
If I'm using a Photoshop template I generally prefer to make the static images into a solid background and align the DIVs to them.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #45
o_tennovan

I prefer nested divs with image bg's but to each his own.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #46
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Not the BODY background. The alignment on that would be miserable, especially if it's centered.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #47
o_tennovan

Centering is easy. I don't think alignment would be out of whack at all

Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #48
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

IE and Firefox always had a tendency to interpret pixel widths differently when I tried it.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #49
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
IE and Firefox always had a tendency to interpret pixel widths differently when I tried it.
I think they interpret them differently when width's are set (something about borders being drawn inside/outside of given width). In any case, I've always had luck with nested divs and margins instead of messing with padding. I've given myself hours of hell with padding.

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
<style type="text/css">
    body {
        text-align: center;
        margin: 0;
    }
    #wrapper {
        width: 950px;
        border: 1px solid #cacaca;
        text-align: left;
        margin: 0 auto;
    }
    #content {
        margin: 5px;
    }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="wrapper">
    <div id="content">
        Centered in both IE and FF
    </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Now vertical-align is a whole different ballgame. If I'm doing something that requires vertically aligning something, I will not hesitate to use tables.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #50
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I can do a centered thing, but if the design is really involved and has a lot of stuff in different positions, sometimes they get out of alignment between the two browsers.

Add like fifty DIVs to that with different positionings and see.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #51
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I can do a centered thing, but if the design is really involved and has a lot of stuff in different positions, sometimes they get out of alignment between the two browsers.

Add like fifty DIVs to that with different positionings and see.
Yeah I'd generally agree that it can get crazy but I don't think I've done too many sites that viewed the same across browsers. Do divs render faster than tables? Maybe they don't. Maybe tables just don't render until all columns/rows are loaded which is why I think they're slower.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #52
o_own3r

Have you looked at www.openwebdesign.org ? That has a wide array of designs and are quite good often all you need do is replace the graphics and your away

I have no idea what design you had in mind but I browsed through some designs and picked a few out that looked good, the graphics can be changed easily and all you need do is replace the names in the css stylesheet.

http://www.openwebdesign.org/viewdes...php%3Fpage%3D3

http://www.openwebdesign.org/viewdes...php%3Fpage%3D5

http://www.openwebdesign.org/viewdes...php%3Fpage%3D5
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #53
o_nodnarb

wow own3r, thanks for the links I like them alot, I will definately take a look at them.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #54
o_own3r

so anyway about this banner how big has it got to be and what theme has it got to fit in with?
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #55
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical
Well photoshop is perfectly fine for making a site, so long as you don't open up imageready, and expect to be able to slice and export it and have everything hunky dory. I have been doing HTML, etc. for many years, and I couldn't figure out that load of crap it spit out. If you want to design a site in Photoshop, be my guest, but when you cut the pieces, do it by hand and export one slice (section of the entire site image) at a time, and manually code it into the site. There are many ways of creating a site, graphics first, code first, graphics and code at the same time, etc. Normally, I do code first, then add graphics where needed. But then again, I'm really no good at graphics All in all, PS is good at graphics, and bad at code.
lol , Adobe GoLive takes your cut up graphics and places the images in tables. From The Cut PSD. All you have to do is set them to background , delete the filler images and your done.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #56
o_player

Now all you have to do is buy the software, LithiuM--you thief :P
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #57
o_nodnarb

950x150, and I want a half-lifeish theme it is going on this template. (thanks own3r) http://www.openwebdesign.org/viewdes...php%3Fpage%3D3

Old 01-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #58
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Now all you have to do is buy the software, LithiuM--you thief :P
If they jailed people for stolen software, half of the world would be dropping their soap in jail while 1/4 of the remaining would try to rape you.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote