Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #21
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
i'm generally satisified with all games I buy, but I do the research. people that complain often have a sense of entitlement which is false.. but fair enough - as I am a consumer of this thread I would like to invoke the right of stating and complaining that you love and get off with inserting comments edgewise without them typically having substance...you enjoy being reactionary.

yea for consumers rights!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #22
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I expect this game to disappoint me, as is the case with all post-Westwood CNC games.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #23
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
i'm generally satisified with all games I buy, but I do the research. people that complain often have a sense of entitlement which is false.. but fair enough - as I am a consumer of this thread I would like to invoke the right of stating and complaining that you love and get off with inserting comments edgewise without them typically having substance...you enjoy being reactionary.

yea for consumers rights!
The difference is that I do research before I buy and then complain after because what I found out did not come even close to what the game is like.

When I hear faction diversity, I don't expect one faction to completely dominate and force other factions to play build order lotto while that one can pick and choose which he wants to use. I expect the game to be like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft.

I complain because my expectations were not met despite doing plenty of research about the title. Research in this case includes:

Fully knowing what each faction was capable of in beta right before release.

Watching over 5 hours worth of replays from the last tournament from the beta.

Knowing what every unit was capable of in the beta.

I don't know what else I can say about research. I do this with every game I buy, and when the release is not up to my standards, especially after knowing what to expect, I become angry.

It's a bit like this:

I looked online for a guitar. I went to several review sites, listened to a bunch of sound samples, looked at screen shots and spec sheets. When it arrived the neck looked like this:

Wouldn't you be upset if this happened to you?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #24
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
i know this sounds trite but i would never buy a guitar online. that's a brick and mortar purchase for me..along with some other things.

As for being angry about video games not being up to your expectations..meh, all I can say is that they are video games, and if you get mad at poopy AI, remember that you are getting mad at a computer not being as creative as a human opponnent, which really has never happened yet.

Sorry, I find one getting their panties in a bunch over missed expectations over a video game, which is a very subjective experience, to be somewhat silly.

looks like you just like to get mad.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
i know this sounds trite but i would never buy a guitar online. that's a brick and mortar purchase for me..along with some other things.

As for being angry about video games not being up to your expectations..meh, all I can say is that they are video games, and if you get mad at poopy AI, remember that you are getting mad at a computer not being as creative as a human opponnent, which really has never happened yet.

Sorry, I find one getting their panties in a bunch over missed expectations over a video game, which is a very subjective experience, to be somewhat silly.

looks like you just like to get mad.
No, it usually is a brick and mortar purchase. The thing is, though, that when you find good deals, you can't pass them up. An example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

But no, I don't get angry about video games not meeting my expectations. I get angry because I feel a video game is not worth the money I payed for it. Wouldn't you get pissed if you bought something that, despite your best research efforts, was a piece of shit that you couldn't return?

Yeah, that's something that only happens with video games. I'm able to return the guitar and did. I was reimbursed for the shipping cost. A bad PC video game? No, that money isn't something I'm getting back. I can't return it to get a better one. Nada.

There is no "brick and mortar" testing with a video game. If demos existed then yeah, you could get a feel, but none of my complaints are ever about that. My complaints are always about things that you won't realize until after playing the game for a while. I.E. fundamental issues and flaws that come up once you actually understand what's going on. A demo never shows you this.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote