Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
o_ivaqual

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
That's it. I'm never leaving my computer again, ever.

Thanks for everything guys. Seriously.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
o_lillbrorsan

Awesome work guys, that video was really fun to watch and the ingame action made my jaw drop
o_lillbrorsan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
The choppyness is more than likely due to team members with slower comps/lower connection settings dropping frames in their demo. The game itself won't/doesn't chop like that under normal circumstances.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
o_groovyf

Oh man.. Awesome!

Simply cannot wait to play this.
Loved the map remake. Very, very well done and looks to have a great feel to it.

No more videos please... just the release instead
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
o_y0da

I realy read more than post on forums but for this i just had to post.

Thhhhhhhaaaannnkkk yyyooouuuu SOOOO MUTCH!

20% argh ^^
o_y0da is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
o_repair man

I'm curious about framerates...maybe one of you devs involved with the playtesting can give us some comp specs and the type of fps range you're getting, from 1on1 encounters to large battles like we see in the video.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
o_zakmckraken

nice one

(mirrored on http://zmk.fr/ff )
o_zakmckraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Well it's not going to be incredibly meaningful to give fps right now, because lod versions of models aren't in and are likely to come at the very end(so you're rendering max amount of poly's regardless of how far away any model is currently) Even with that performance has been decent. I get ~40 fps at high action in dod:source/cs:source, and it's been comparable in FF except for 20 explosions and lots of ragdolls at once , but I'm making the assumption lod models will improve performance in that regard significantly, as well as map optimization which is making its last passes. There can always be limits on max amount of ragdolls/gibs as a client variable to improve that as well.

Also animations are probably the last thing that are seeing attention, DK only came back recently and I think he mostly focused on just getting rid of davinci poses. Can't really say if there's a plan to rework those for the first wave or not, you'd have to ask rebo/DK.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Performance right now is significantly better than it was even a few months ago. Valve's SDK update improved client animation times a lot, and the last piece of the puzzle is LOD models in this respect.

Right now, only the soldier has LOD models. As such, most of the player models in the game have several thousand vertices being animated & ~4k tris being rendered regardless of distance from the player's view. LOD models improve both of these aspects a lot, so they will improve performance a fair bit on two fronts.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
o_jhender

just wow...

hey guys. i just had to register here for the forum simply to let you guys know i couldn't be more impressed after seeing the dustbowl video. i had no idea FF was that far along, and obviously there is a lot of talent behind the work. i was an avid TFC player back in the day, and i'm going to be thrilled when i can get my hands on FF.

as for TF2....who wants to play a cartoon shooter anyways...? give me the classic like i always knew it!

Justin
o_jhender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
o_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
Even with that performance has been decent. I get ~40 fps at high action in dod:source/cs:source, and it's been comparable in FF except for 20 explosions and lots of ragdolls at once , but I'm making the assumption lod models will improve performance in that regard significantly, as well as map optimization which is making its last passes. There can always be limits on max amount of ragdolls/gibs as a client variable to improve that as well.
Might be missreading, but are you saying 40fps in CS:Source with high action is decent? Hmm.
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
o_ryske

i dont know has anyone talked or noticed (too lazy to search) 'bout this yet but there is a Ronald Mc Donald at the 1:37:00 timeline at the left down corner,in the scene where minigunner shoots ppl down in line formation. .... pointing finger at the dead men and saying "lol teamfortress2" or something (dunno exactly, i got the poor res version :P )
o_ryske is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Might be missreading, but are you saying 40fps in CS:Source with high action is decent? Hmm.
speaking more about dod:source as i've only played cs:source once in the past year...but yeah for my specs 40 fps being the lowest I ever get when tons of people are on the screen and there's lots of action and explosions in those games is decent. Why would that warrant a hmm?
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Well it's all going to be relative to his computer specs, one man's 40fps is another man's 120. If an unoptimised debug build can run close to the speed of an optimised released game then that's pretty promising.
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #15
o_pen6uin

holy mother of god ...

this is what i'm talking about
o_pen6uin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #16
o_dr zauis

im not reading this all to see if anyone else saw this, but i stopped it at 1:37 and theres Ronald McDonald saying "lol, TeamFortressez!"

Does that win me anything? lol

Last edited by o_dr zauis; 09-08-2006 at 07:16 AM.
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #17
o_a boojum snark

Hmm... I noticed the tint on this scene, and given there is a medic nearby... is this what you get when you are infected? >_>

o_a boojum snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #18
o_oinker

this is some frick awesome shit right here... props oh man i can't believe how well this dev team is putting this game together. Goodjob can't wait to play .
o_oinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
o_shrone

Thats the greatest thing I have seen in a long time!!!
::weeps::its soo awsome!!
o_shrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
o_hired-gun

Good job dev team,very very nice video and the narrator voice and music was excellent.
The team flags in the video,are they the official ones or is it just placeholders?
If its the official ones can someone get me high res pics of them?
o_hired-gun is offline   Reply With Quote