Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #241
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
see if you can get a pod2 on ebay. i have the rackmount version, and it still holds ground soundwise.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #242
o_qui

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Thinking of getting a white telecaster soon

Played a few of my mates telecasters, loved the way they played, sound and felt.

Then again, im fairly ignorant when it comes on models of guitars but meh!
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #243
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

american i hope?

i was so close to convincing my mate to buy one after he sold a bunch of his old guitars. the faggot ended up buying an xbox360.

i need to go pick myself out a new guitar sometime. the main feature i'll be looking out for though, is its ability to hold tune, and electronic accessibility. the ES-335 copy i have has no back panel, and all electrical maintenence is carried out through the fucking f holes. its a joke.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #244
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
american i hope?
If its like £600 then no

Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #245
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

slightly more, and yes!

Old 09-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #246
o_tennovan

Bah I'm confused now. The Firebox doesn't look like it even comes to close to the firepod. Should I stop looking at these two and start moving away from the hardware to 8-tracks? They're a bit more portable but I'm gonna be using a computer anyways. Its too bad the firepod doesn't come in a kit like 8 tracks do.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #247
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
I wish they'd put their other shit on sale. I'm in the market for a decently cheap home studio solution (like $800) but can't find the right combo of audio hardware, mics, processor etc. Their guitars are pretty cheap but shit... I already have guitars, just nothing to play them on. I have 2 electrics that haven't been played in years because I'm an acoustic man... its time to play around.

And I was looking at the PodXT mervaka, but its like $250. That with the $499 firepod is throwing me close to my budget already.
They discount that shit, too, just didn't list it in my post. They're discounting everything. Even their iPods. It's bizarre.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #248
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

in my experience, absolutely not. i tried going down the hardware road by buying a fuckoff huge A&H mixer. it's now gathering dust in a corner of my room. i only use it now for multitrack recording.

and it doesn't have to be a firepod. take a look at the digidesign MBox2 (comes with protools LE), and the M_Audio FW solo etc. i have an MBox2 and an MAudio FW1814 (for connecting the A&H mixer to the pc).

are you looking at much MIDI based stuff, or VST instruments etc? if not, get the MBox2 and protools.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:48 AM   #249
o_tennovan

Quote:
in my experience, absolutely not. i tried going down the hardware road by buying a fuckoff huge A&H mixer. it's now gathering dust in a corner of my room. i only use it now for multitrack recording.

and it doesn't have to be a firepod. take a look at the digidesign MBox2 (comes with protools LE), and the M_Audio FW solo etc. i have an MBox2 and an MAudio FW1814 (for connecting the A&H mixer to the pc).

are you looking at much MIDI based stuff, or VST instruments etc? if not, get the MBox2 and protools.
Well I have Cubase SX so the LE editions of any of those products doesn't appeal to me much. Since I've been in and out a lot in the past 2 weeks, I haven't had much time to sit down and look at each of these products in depth.

I'm moving to my own place in the next couple of weeks and we're planning to convert one of the rooms into a small home studio. My brother has been wanting to buy a digital 8track recorder/workstation for a while but they just don't appeal to me that much. Can't you just use protools or cubase to the same effect? The firepod seems to be a nice solution, especially since they released the standalone firmware.

Main thing is, I'm not too familiar with all this shit and I pretty much just need someone to tell me what I need. We're going to sound-proof a room, section it off (production/mix room, instrumentals, vocals) and then hopefully have the hardware capable of tying it all together. Nothing TOO expensive but over time, we want to build on it.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #250
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah..um

i just wouldn't bother with an 8track when you have a pc. they're just so much more awesome.

either way, i still need to know your application. are you recording drums? are you recording entire bands at a time, or just one instrument? are you recording MIDI? are you programming MIDI directly into the piano roll?

if it's midi based, i've found cubase to be far better in that aspect. otherwise, i'd go down the protools route.

if you're wanting to go for protools and want to spend a bit more, consider venturing into DAW mixers, and again, protools comes into its own here, with uber excellent compatibility.

if you want the DAW function, try the Digidesign DIGI002:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/20866/

or if you're a mouse warrior, try the 002 Rack:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/4678/

these might be out of your price range, so meh.

if you're using cubase however, your hardware options are a lot more open, but don't expect the same compatibility with DAW controllers and the such.

MOTU are a little bit more expensive, but are well worth a look. the 828MkII is very similar to the firepod, but has standalone operation capability. it also has separate main speaker I/O.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/1888/
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...73c9f7f0c9.jpg

Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #251
o_tennovan

I will be recording drums. I doubt I will be recording whole bands at a time since the room required for this is larger than what I have. I will be recording MIDI but not very often, most likely just gonna play around with it. BUT, even though I won't be recording whole bands, I'd like the option to record the guitar tracks at the same time (but seperately) so that drums/synths/whatever can be added later.

I will take a look at ProTools since I've heard a lot of good things about it but the money could definitely be better spent elsewhere I think. And also, the firepod has standalone capability now.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #252
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

cubase certainly has more bang per buck, i'll give it that. the only thing i found with it though, is that it can only support one ASIO device at a time. whether the firepod sorts this daisychaining problem out and presents itself to cubase as one device i don't know, but yeah, its up to you.

on the subject of VSTs (both instruments and effects) cubase natively supports VST plugins where protools doesn't. protools LE's staple plugin is the RTAS format, which is the digidesign equivalent - software processed audio processing. there is a converter that will host a VST effect/instrument as an RTAS plugin, which i hope to acquire myself soon.
protools HD relies on TDM plugins, which use DSP cards in the machine to exclusively process these effects. a very costly option, and out of most people's budget. very nice though

also with protools, check your pc. i've found it's a lot more power hungry than cubase or anything else i've tried. personally, i'd stick with cubase as you already have it, and get a multichannel ASIO compliant interface, such as the firepod

it's not so much the ins and outs you need (except the inputs when you record from lots of sources at once) but more the quality of the hardware and the latency. whatever you do, keep the buffer size down (128 or 256 samples) and keep the resolution to 24bit.

sorry to take you on a wild goose chase around the block, but it's best to make you aware of what's available. no point in blindly accepting/rejecting my advice. the best way is to pick things out for the application.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #253
o_qui

Quote:
(re telecaster)american i hope?
I hate you Mervaka.

Went to a big guitar shop in southampton on a mission to get a guitar. I tried out some £150 tele copies. Wasnt all that impressed, so i took a look at the proper ones but mexican.

Sweet! I thought. Played really nicely, sounds good too.

Then i thought

"That guy on the FF forums said the American teles were good"

I looked at the £700 price tag but decided just to try it out anyway, i cant afford it, but it would be nice to try out a nice guitar. And i was a little skeptical of it being £300 better than the mexican

I played it

Screamed fuck to myself

It was like playing with my willy, it was just sex!

Now all those cheap guitars feel like crap. So now i gotta go save my pennies for a few months and get an American Tele.

Cheers Mervaka, you just wasted me £300

Old 10-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #254
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

ha! told you american luthers sell their soul every time they make a guitar

too late for an exchange?

Old 10-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #255
o_qui

Oh i havnt bought one yet.

i was gonna get the american on credit, but i forgot my ID

Probably for the best really gonna wait for xmas bonus in december and get that with a fat amp too

Still, you showed me what i was missing out on, so gj

My friend who was there also, has commenced saving.

Perhaps you should invoice fender for some commission

Old 10-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #256
o_minsc

Modern music ruined guitars for me.
o_minsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #257
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah, maybe

just to spoil you again, try it out on a mesa boogie F30/F50, or a fender hotrod deluxe amp. the best combinations ever. nothing else needed in the signal chain besides a short lead

Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #258
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

here's a really cool Level 42 video to bump this thread up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzXtizKcXY

Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #259
o_frenchtoast

Yeah... that's an ugly ass bass.

Alain Cairon beats the pants off that guy, can't find any vids though. Uzeb ftw!
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #260
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Level 42?

Is it a bad sign if I liked the simple lead guitar riff better than any of the bass stuff?