Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #221
Viz79

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
I'm so tired of people constantly bitching about the lack of PR for this game. Everybody wants the devs to do it all, what is stopping you from going out yourself and doing some PR for the game? If you don't have the time to do it yourself then you have no right to complain that others, who are already devoting massive amounts of time to the game itself, don't have the time.

I.E. Put up or shut up.
You're kidding right? You realise that most people here no matter how commited they supposedly are to this game won't lose sleep when this mod dies? They will just move onto the next game and have fun. Yes PR assistance would help the community but whose job is it first - the people that invested countless hours into its production whose future is invested in this or some people picking the game up to play on the basis its free?

Get a grip - this is the project of a modding team - its success and how it occurs is all in their hands. If it is the fact it wasnt publicised enough, you can blame who you want but its the FF team that will be the ones losing sleep. Blame the players - they really don't care This isnt their baby.

Secondly I dont think this is a advertising issue anyway - no matter how much some of you want to put down TF2, the truth of the matter is its one heck of a game, its by Valve and people love it. Not only did FF not stand much of a chance on paper but now both have been released, you really are seeing the results. Never before has a old game been redone by a community at the same time as its sequel release by its original creators. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise its result. And even better - listen to the developer community on TF2 - its the game they would have wanted first time round in terms of gameplay balance. And it shows, one can stay nostalgic and not want to move on but thinking many will agree has been proved to be quite incorrect.

Simply - I loved TFC, it encapsulated some of my best video game moments and I love TF2 in every way. It was simply time to move on and TF2 is not only bringing on lots of new players but taking on oldies that are falling in lvoe with it. You guys may come up with a myriad of reasons why you love FF but honestly, in a couple months you may as well all group together on one server and play it to the end of time Its a shame - released earlier it would have gathered more of a following. Right now its simply been decimated. I only feel sorry for the developers for the amount of work they put in but at least they have something to showcase now in terms of their abilities and Im sure they still have bright futures. I doubt FF however is going to be anything than a memory by next year. Doom and gloom? Just take a look at whats happening.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #222
barronofhellion

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz79
a myriad of reasons
heres one, you just paid money for a mod... i however did not

Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #223
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

God dman, the game isn't dead people. I thought these threads were just going to be locked?

*sigh*

Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #224
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I see what you did THARR!!

Anyway, it's easy to say it will fail, because of the evidence put forth. TF2 has over 10k ppl on at most of the time of day, and FF has about 150... HUGE difference, but I can garuntee(Bet me my $1500 PC) that a lot more people(maybe 10X as many) will start playing once most of the kinks have been worked out. The game wasn't finished, and the devs did the best they could to release it before TF2, however, that is the problem with releasing games on time. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and there are problems. This is one of those cases. And once those problems have been corrected, there will be a myriad of reasons to play this wonderful game we call Fortress Forever. So you go play your other games, but I will continue to support FF as long as it exists, even if TF2 gets grenades in the future(rumors, you gotta love em...)
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #225
vlad_drac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
When Quake 2 (Q2) was released, Quakeworld (QW) servers were almost empty within a week. Not because everyone thought Quake 2 was better, but because it was new.
I hate to criticise, because they worked hard and released a good mod

It's *not* new in any way, shape or form. It's a brilliant port of TFC onto the HL2 engine, and that's all it is.. a port.

Unlike all of the "team fortress" mods that came before it, it didn't add anything, change stuff around, there's nothing unique that i can see.

Sorry boys, gotta call it like i see it :/

Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #226
barronofhellion

hmm they added a load of stuff, but none of it is major, and pritty much everything from tf was in tfc , majority of everything thats in tfc is in ff... however tf2 took a lot of what is critical to tf and removed it, and added a some critical changes as well...

Old 10-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #227
Viz79

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
heres one, you just paid money for a mod... i however did not
This was one heck of a response - 'the myriad of reasons' for why one would play FF and your choice of choosing the fact 'FF is free' as the reason you are playing it isnt really doing FF much justice now is it :P Gets better and better.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #228
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
Erm, not according to the statistics I've been watching...TF2 has been growing every week since the beta came out. It currently has 12,000 players, versus about 4,500 at the same time/day when it was in beta.
seriously. why the FUCK are you here? get off the fucking FF forums if all your going to do is bash FF, k? no one at all likes you, including in real life.
im NOT saying TF2 is bad, by any means. (but the respawn itmer makes me wanna pull my hair out!) BUT, what i AM saying, is that you need to shut the fuck up. Note that i didnt say STFU, i spelled it out. so, why are you on these forums? to make people mad? to bash FF? if any ansewers to the above question were yes, you will be... missed. and the termination is not a lie...

Last edited by greenday5494; 10-26-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #229
Mike.Gayner

Dude, I wasn't bashing FF whatsoever. I was making a factual statement to correct someone who made a blatantly incorrect statement. As a matter of fact, I enjoy FF. Well, that is to say I enjoyed it for the first week or so, when there were actually servers with player where I live. There's now about half a dozen servers, none of which are ever populated with even a single soul.

To try and say that TF2 is declining in popularity begs correction.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #230
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
seriously. why the FUCK are you here? get off the fucking FF forums if all your going to do is bash FF, k? no one at all likes you, including in real life.
im NOT saying TF2 is bad, by any means. (but the respawn itmer makes me wanna pull my hair out!) BUT, what i AM saying, is that you need to shut the fuck up. Note that i didnt say STFU, i spelled it out. so, why are you on these forums? to make people mad? to bash FF? if any ansewers to the above question were yes, you will be... missed. and the termination is not a lie...
Wow, chill out. He said nothing about FF in there.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #231
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz79
This was one heck of a response
well if one were to elaborate on this it would be , i am playing a kickass game thats professonaly done that holds my intrest , has everything i want and love from tf.. with little or no major bugs on release , that has more work done on it. more creative input , more challenging players , huge options for vast gametypes .ect.....

and its free , i paied no money. the ff staff recieved no money for there [huge] efforts.... however the mod team from a wealthy company that now is tring to hold a monopoly[lack of better word] on paid games on the internet, no mater how big or how [SMALL] charges for something that they did once before. and its not a full game , its a little hl2 mod, only thing is they didn't work hard on models, and textures for the models so they coverd it up with a shader , if anybody is a moder they know that texturing and modeling take the most amount of time , and require a lot of hard work

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #232
EngeeMan
Banned

God, I am running out of room on my Steam community page adding all these ridiculous quotes.

"Valve's immoral marketing", jesus christ.

Edit: ^^^ "Monopoly on paid games on the internet", another good one.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #233
barronofhellion

yea wasn't sure if it sounded good at the time , but yea it fits what there doing , you know selling games for people over the internet... vs them selling them on there own damn site...

Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #234
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
i just pressed a random quote one, but he is ALWAYS bashing FF, and praising TF2. im just SICK of it. just ban the irrtiating POS, no one likes him.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #235
Mike.Gayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
i just pressed a random quote one, but he is ALWAYS bashing FF, and praising TF2. im just SICK of it. just ban the irrtiating POS, no one likes him.
Ban people who dont share your opinion? Grow up buddy. I happen to enjoy ALL fortress games.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #236
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
this thread has gone on a lot longer than it needed to.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Closed Thread