Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
o_jamesbrain

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Epicenter

I´m currently working on a rm for epicenter. I´m thinking about adding some new stuff to this map and upgrading others, like making ceillings more of a part of it. The map is at early stages of dev and i will post screenshoots here as soon as possible. Suggestions are welcomed!
o_jamesbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
o_fathom

Good luck with that one... high expectations
o_fathom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
o_voipme

Given the name of the map, epicenter, you can assume that the area was a target of a bombing of some sort. Therefore, it would be kind of hard for many buildings to retain their ceilings. I always did enjoy the openness of that map. Especially being able to conc all over the place.

The one change I would recommend would be to cover up the capture point a bit so as to prevent scouts flying from all over the place and sailing to a capture in a matter of seconds. As fun as it may be, it doesn't really have any sort of defensive choke points close enough to the flag to be truly effective when its crunch time. Lets see... what else? Oh yes, some sort of timer for the flag grate. Instead of the ever annoying "This cage will be opened in 45 seconds," perhaps the time could be shortened and some sort of time display in the base.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I've got a modified version of epicenter where the map doesn't reset after caps. Makes it a whole new game, much more fun in my opinion, cuz if you're that little scout that just conced by that lvl 3 sentry, you don't disappear back to the spawn and that big bastard knows you're hiding behind the APC.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
o_jamesbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipme
Given the name of the map, epicenter, you can assume that the area was a target of a bombing of some sort. Therefore, it would be kind of hard for many buildings to retain their ceilings. I always did enjoy the openness of that map. Especially being able to conc all over the place.
I agree with you. If you think about it in a storyline, it´s from this map that all the flags get to their proper maps all over the game. That´s why it´s an epicenter. Still, there are some buldings you can conc into; the respawn and the one in front of the APC, for example. I want to make those more of a part of the map, not only for attackers, but for defenders as well.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
o_sobe green

What if you got rid of the APCs and turned the cap point into some kind of small outpost. Capping with a key (not flag) would cause the other base to be bombed or maybe random parts of the map. You could start the map off looking "untouched" and after a few caps it will resemble the old epicenter more. Just an idea.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
o_etzell

I always thought that the "epicenter" idea was based on the epicenter of an earthquake... it made a lot more sense, because a lot of the map was falling apart, and there wasn't evidence of a bombing. (No charred edges.)
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
o_jamesbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I always thought that the "epicenter" idea was based on the epicenter of an earthquake... it made a lot more sense, because a lot of the map was falling apart, and there wasn't evidence of a bombing. (No charred edges.)
If you look closely though, you will see that all crates there are military.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
o_etzell

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't look as bombed-out as it does "shaken by an earthquake." At least, not to me.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 05:34 AM   #10
o_koochy

Enough small talk.

Screen shots dammit!
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
o_derno

^^^ what he said

i hope it looks great!
o_derno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
o_kilik

make it so engi's don't have to rebuild EVERYTHING if either team caps... please!
o_kilik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2005, 05:46 AM   #13
o_sobe green

Another take on it could be a somewhat similiar "warpath" style game. Put a cap point in the middle of the map. You can't cap the apc point unless you control the middle. Might throw a twist on the name "epiCENTER".
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #14
o_jared-tm-

What Koochy said! <3
o_jared-tm- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #15
o_kam

Quote:
make it so engi's don't have to rebuild EVERYTHING if either team caps... please!
http://maps.ozfortress.com/e/epicenter_l.zip
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #16
o_ohcanep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Another take on it could be a somewhat similiar "warpath" style game. Put a cap point in the middle of the map. You can't cap the apc point unless you control the middle. Might throw a twist on the name "epiCENTER".
This would be interesting indeed. I also agree with kilik; it can get a bit irritating if the map is "restarted" over and over again like in current epicenter (ie. engies have to rebuild their stuff and all players are forced to respawn).
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #17
o_donny

I have played epicenter but dunno which map is it. :S

Anyho, post screens
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote