Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
o_addicted to morphine

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've skimmed this entire thread, and I wanted to share a few thoughts I had about the visuals.

From what I could tell from the screens, the mapping of the outside areas are really tight, really clean, and they have an amazing look to them. I feel like a sense of negative space is very important when it comes to how a map looks and feels ( I swear to god I'm not as full of it as it may seem from that last comment ) and I think you utilize negative space very well in your outdoor stages. I look at them, and I just see a freedom to conc and rj to my hearts content, and while attack maps get spammy, the outdoor areas give me the impression that with a good conc I could soar above all the conflag. I've never seen a screenshot that actually conjured dancing images of gameplay in my head before, so hey... that's a good sign, right?

From what I've gathered, you haven't done a serious pass at the 2nd stage yet, but from that one screenshot I was a little scared. In contrast to the outdoor areas, your indoor areas seem dark and cramped. While variety helps, I feel like you could stand to blow it out with some more light, and make the areas larger in general. I feel like concing and rjing, just from that shot, would be severely limited. Since you need an elevator to reach the 3rd stage, I'm assuming the second is deep underground... but even so I'd love to see some roofs just ripped off to get some sunlight (and negative space) in there.

Also, I enjoy the curviness of the windows and the towers in general, and so, in contrast, the 2nd shot you posted (on the first page) of the spawn point looks jagged, and ultra angled (especially the floor).

On D, I can't wait to set up my SG on top of the little cliff next to the elevator, and on O, I can't wait to RJ from there to the cliff right above and annoy the defenders from behind.

Anyway -- I think you've got great talent, and I really enjoy all your outdoor shots. I hope you see this map through to the end.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote