Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
o_vampiricus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Tell me how you AIM..........

Ever since a free looking mouse was implimented in 1st person gaming, I have tried different tactics on "Aiming". I tried the "dot" for a couple years, then came the "dot in a circle" then I went ahead and stuck with the standard crosshairs. In some games, you cant alter your crosshairs because it depends on the weapon your using.

But right now I want to find out what you guys are looking at when your aiming at your enemy, And im not looking for a smartass answer like "Well, the enemy...dumbass" :P

For example, I sometimes (depending on the game) focus on the crosshairs only once i see my target. Then there is also burring out the rest of the field. Hard to explain that technique to be honest. Another one maybe would be not even using the crosshairs at all (aside from a sniper rifle). just having a sense of the middle of the screen.

Sometimes when im spectating, I see people shooting all around the target, and not hitting the target. they either panic, or eye and hand cordnation is just shot to hell.

I start this thread because I know everyone has a technique, and im curious to know what some of them are in your best words. Im working on perfecting mine more, since its a neverending thing to do.

If it helps to illistrate with screens, please do!
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
o_etzell

My crosshairs mimic the bullet-spread at low-mid distances, so I just make sure a bit of the teal is on the enemy.

Also, play some CS for a bit, that really helps with the aim.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
o_vampiricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
My crosshairs mimic the bullet-spread at low-mid distances, so I just make sure a bit of the teal is on the enemy.

Also, play some CS for a bit, that really helps with the aim.

I forgot to mention that , thats what I have been playing a lot of lately. And yes, its not very forgiving in lines of near hits. you must be dead on
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
o_etzell

My SSG is deadly. It's well over 1/2 my kills, and I'm a solly. :P
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:44 AM   #5
o_skanky butterpuss

i use my crosshair to constantly (try to) track the enemy, i.e. i focus my sight on the enemy's chest and follow him wherever he goes. this sometimes gets very difficult when there are more than 1 enemy on screen, but i try to lock onto one enemy to kill him, instead of just weakening, say, 3.

however, the majority of my kills come from my grenades of all types, as i dont have spectacular aim. i had to turn my mouse sensitivity to 1.5 so i would stop twicthing and missing everyone i shot at.

in cs:s, im a run and gun with the TMP, MAC, or para type man. this is much of the reason that im less than fantastic in that game. i try to aim, but the gun never shoots where the middle of my crosshair is
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
o_sizeablessonic

just use my crosshairs to see whether or not my enemy will be shot when I shoot at them. Period.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
o_binarylife

I focus on the player. Everything else seems to follow naturally.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
o_thenuke0

Well ,I think I know what is the best technique in CS, not that I can implement it myself.... but ill tell it anywayz

The best technique (on CS , at least , i think.... ) is to only shoot when you have the target in your crosshair = wait till the target gets into your aim instead of getting the aim to the target , just dont move your mouse.
when I made it using this technique I made some AMAZING headshots , I even surprised myself.
Its very hard to get used to shooting like that , and its prolly only useful on CS.

Usually, I just try to aim to the middle enemy chest (I usually start shooting before the enemy meets my crosshair and miss), but it makes it hard when me or the enemy moves.
When im against multiple enemies I usually cant decide who to shoot, get confused and die without hitting sh!t.

Sometimes I can spend a whole clip without hitting anything because im used to start shooting before im aimed.

hitting the enemy from far away and from close range is different , my aiming can be pretty good sometimes , but its pretty medium most of the time. Aiming tips would be much appreciated(i really hope i didnt miss-spelled).

EDIT: im talking about aiming in CS, generally .
its been a long time since i played TFC. =/
o_thenuke0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:43 AM   #9
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
In CS, if I'm running, I keep my crosshairs off the enemy. That's the one place I know the shot won't go. Other than that I don't really bother aiming. It handles itself, mostly. Point, shoot. I don't go for anything specific. Usually when I try to aim, I miss.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

See target, move mouse to get target in crosshair, shoot. Doesn't really get much simpler than that. In CS, I always run around with my xhair head height, and pointing at corners / areas I think enemies will be -- instant headshot if someone is there, providing they don't mug you. Common sense really.

In fast paced games, there's no trick to it other than practicing.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #11
o_sp0rk

I tend to do a lot better with the pre-emptive aiming. I have a lot more luck shooting where I think someone is going to be in half a second, rather than trying to shoot them directly.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
o_lunatik

My aiming almost seems to be the best, when I´m constantly trying to move jump and whatever keeps the enemy from hitting me, if you constantly try to avoid being hit at all, your aiming while moving will greatly increase.
That´s most useful for fast paced games like TFC, HLDM and so on, in CS my aiming is different, since you cant really aim while moving.

A good aiming tactic is for CS, if you jump around corners and while in air you duck, then as you hit the ground stay ducked, aim the enemy as fast as possible and then try to kill him with your first shots. Most of the time, they are suprised by you jumping into their field of view, but if can´t kill him fast enough, he probably will kill you.
o_lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #13
o_darknight

CS is about who puts the bullets first into who. Generally if you get the first one or two hits in a firefight they dont stand a chance for a couple of reasons.

1) You will probably have higher HP than them.
2) Your shot's will have a 'pushback' effect screwing over his recoil slightly.
3) He will start panicing as he realises that he's in trouble.

I find it similar in TFC - if I use sound to locate an enemy and jump round the corner and hit him first I generally very rarely miss during the rest of the firefight and usually end up killing him. However if he does the same to me I find it hard hitting a person who is already plugging me with shots (generally because it makes his confidence of winning higher.)

There is also sound and perception which are key in CS - if you hear or think an enemy is gonna be round the corner on top of a box you can align you xhair up previously to coming round the corner and kill him before he has a chance to react. Also its important to keep control of your recoil 'cause the number of times I see players with their crosshair on people but when they fire their first bullet hits but their second and third go bouncing above his head - then they complain about 'reg'.

A good way to getting your aim better is to try using a deagle and then a scout (the gun) . Then after 30 minutes revert back to m4/ak and you'll be surprised how little recoil you're getting and your aim will be good because you've been trying to hit people with one bullet.

In general I have a very shakey Xhair when firing at people - rather than tracking them I either allow them to run over my xhair and then fire (when Im camping) or I move my crosshair to their chest - fire a burst - move my xhair a away then flick my mouse to their chest again and fire another burst. (etc)

Having a good sensitivity is important too - you have to be able to know exacly where your gonna be aiming if say you move your mouse 1 inch to the left.

I'll think of something else later...
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #14
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I AIM with Trillian.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #15
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
AIM sucks
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #16
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

To get the other smartass reply out of the way:

I AIM with Bot.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #17
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I AIM with Trillian.
Rofl I was going to say that earlier. You da man for saying it first.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #18
o_thenuke0

**** , I hate cheaters.
the only cheat i ever tryed was r_shadowsomthing in cs (wanted to see how easy it is to play with cheats) and it was 1 day before valve found it out and removed it. (for the ones who doesnt know .... this prop get numbers on your screen where enemies/friends/guns should be and you can see those numbers through walls).
WH= pussy.
aimbot = fag.
A nice thing in TFC is that cheaters doesnt get such a big advantage, its not so hard to aim .... in CS , though, one aimbot/wh can ruin the whole game.
o_thenuke0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #19
o_skanky butterpuss

HYPOCRITE!
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #20
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
There's a similar feature in HL2. It's now only usable when sv_cheats is 1. It puts boxes and numbers around all the shadows.