Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
o_general levy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
lost - Spoilers within

I just saw the first two Pilot episodes, and I can't figure out what the hell is going on! The French woman on the radio from 16 years ago? The monster, the polar bear?

Any Spoilers would be very much welcomed from you guys in the Us who have seen the first series
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
o_someoldguy

General Levy, this show is one of the best I've seen in ages... and one of the biggest reasons is that it IS confusing and you're always going "what the hell was that?". It's drama, mystery, some wierd sci-fi (perhaps?), maybe they really are dead and this is purgatory, what is it with the other people on the island, why are certain numbers always appearing, what are the back-stories for the people, how did the guy who was paralyzed suddenly be able to walk, what's that thing buried in the jungle, a polar bear on a tropical island?, what's the big beast that can shake trees and grab people high in the air, who is that French woman, what are the radio signals and where are they coming from, what is so special about the baby the Aussie girl is supposed to have, why does the one woman claim her hubby is still alive, why why why????? It's damned cool, that's what!

If you want a quick "cheat-sheet" as well as plot summaries, go here:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index.html
-or-
http://www.lost-tv.com/

But I'd really recommend watching them and not spoil the surprises in store...

The cliff-hangers they left at the end of season were, in a word, awesome.

Can't wait for it to come back on in September.

Quote:
LOST Season Two Premieres September 21
We have a date. Season Two of Lost will premiere in its new 9E/8C timeslot (still every Wednesday) on September 21.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
o_jefferino

I still don;t know what the hell is going on and I've seen all those episodes. These are the type of shows where you think you know what is going on and then you they jsut stick in some random event that screws everything up. these shows are horrible yet addicting and I HATE THEM BUT I MUST WATCH IT!!!! 24 is the best show ever. JACK BAUER IS THE MAN!!!!
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 AM   #4
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

If you really think about it, Jack Bauer is a major asshole.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #5
o_jefferino

I HATE YOU JIGGLES!!!! I WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES... if I was a girl... hmmmmmm
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 03:43 AM   #6
o_deadly furby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
I'd really recommend watching them and not spoil the surprises in store
I agree. Maybe then, you'll understand where OUR old guy came from!
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #7
o_general levy

Seems rather reminiscent of Far Cry...in a couple of ways....the lead hero doesn't look constipated though.

And for the record the only TV show I would die before reading spoilers for is the Sopranos. If they kill Tony this last season I will go on hunger strike.

Thx for the plot lines SoG!

I hope for a few things:

This doesn't go the way of the X-Files and get too clever for itself, then suffocate under a myriad of unsolvable plot mysteries.

The Producers don't jump up and say at the end "Hah! Got you, this is really like the Cube, and the Government put these people here for some reason so we could waste your time and not give you any answers, even in the last ever episode! lolzor!"

They don't leave glaring plot holes. People analyse every frame of TV shows these days.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
o_ginger lord

The plot goes far too slowly..it takes half an hour to get anywhere for a 5 minute burst of action and then it dies down again. The adverts kill it as well. BBC should have got it, no adverts = win.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
o_loader

I loved it tbh..

Very random and makes me want to watch more..

I had a dream about it FS!
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Can't wait for season 2. Are you UK guys just seeing it for the first time now? Or was it airing for you guys the same time it was airing for us? If it's just airing now... get all the torrents and you can watch the whole season already, heh.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 AM   #11
o_general levy

no, we always get american TV shows with a seasons lag.
which is really islly as people will just torrent the stuff and then not watch it on TV when it comes out over here. I only do that for the programmes I really like.

When I was at uni last year I went on a 24 binge - probably the biggest binge in the history of binges.

downloaded series 1,2 and 3. watched them all back to back over 3 days with lots of junk food and cigarettes. thats 6 hours sleep a night near enough - it was probably less.

the other binge was the whole of the sopranos series 5 back to back - that only took a day though.

i miss my uni's DC++ hub. could download an episode of either in about 1 minute

Also downloaded the final ever episode of Friends the night it came out last year, about 2 hours after it was aired in America god bless file 'sharing'.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 AM   #12
o_captain_cadaver

I liked it all up until the end when they once again ended the episode with more questions. Makes me not want to watch the second season just for the shear fact that nothing will get explained.
o_captain_cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
o_storm

Jack Bauer always does the right thing!
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #14
o_general levy

just watched the first season! - here are my thoughts

first off, great show, really good suspense, you want to keep watching definitely.

the thing is, the reason you want to keep watching is to find out the answers to main mystery - what is up with the friggin island!!!

once the producers answer that question, which they invariably must next season, they will have a tough job keeping the suspense going without the whole thing descending into farce like the X Files did.

one of the reasons i love 24 is that each series is a story in and of itself. you still get a kind of cliffhanger, for eg, president palmer and the poison on his hand at the end of season 2, but there is the satisfaction of tying up the story at the end of each series. Lost doesn't seem to have this.

some argue 24 has an over-arching plot between the different series, but I can't see it - does anyone else? perhaps i'm wrong.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
o_bokko

I'm tired of people comparing Lost to 24. Obviously some people prefer that series, to me it doesn't even come close to Lost. 24/48/72 is just.. dull, and never got me hooked. I've seen the whole first season of Lost and I definately plan on getting the dvd and watching the next season. When I saw ep 4 it just struck me what an amazing series it was. Great stuff!
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #16
o_general levy

Surely you can understand my argument though, they have 2 choices - reveal what is going on, and then keep the series going with a more survivalist theme, or keep adding more and more questions, until the plot becomes so full of holes it suffers the same fate as the X Files (story episodes). I think Sci-Fi mystery style series work better as mini dramas a la Steven Spielberg's Taken. Or maybe they will only have a few seasons, which would stop it getting formulaic and old - like 4 seasons perhaps?

I like both - I just prefer 24.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #17
o_captain_cadaver

4 8 15 16 23 42
o_captain_cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #18
o_bokko

It can't go on forever not revealing anything without losing its appeal, but the show can keep the viewers at bay and surprise us with sub plots. For quite some time, but not forever. Hopefully the Lost 'team' will put an end to the series in time, and begin working on something new and even better.
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
They've got 5 seasons already written for Lost. Written, not filmed, but still... they're going to be on the island for 5 more series's's's's's, heh.

Hurley needs to die and get his fat ass off the island and off my tv.

AND, I can't stand it that Michelle Rodriguez will be back in season 2. ARG I HATE THAT BITCH WITH A PASSION. I wish the people in the tail section had all died but no, they didn't. :SAD FACE:

Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #20
o_storm

after I watched the pilot and the first episode I thought a ship had ran a ground 15 years ago that was carrying a zoo worth of animals. i.e. elephants knocking down the trees, polar bear running at them, a grizzly bear taking the pilot out of the cockpit and the ships crew leaving the distress call. I hope it is something like that and not T-rex's or some other pish like that. I initially read that the guy creating the thing had taken inspiration from reality TV so I didn't know if there was going to be some sort of ominous big brother force on the island that was trying to manipulate the people in some way.
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote