Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
o_the russian

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Whose your favorite actress?

Taking physical appeal only 2ndary to acting skills... what actress appeals the most to you and why?

I had this question posed to me on another forum and I was realy scratching my brain... this is a hard question when you have to choose between many that you like...

It was a difficult pick between Christina Ricci, Kiera Knightly and Rose McGowen for me... but I went with Christina Ricci.

Not just a very good actress, but permeating my mind with some kind of aesthetic pleasure I cant put my finger on. Its her face... oddly shaped head, and gorgeous enormous eyes... and her buxom boosum aint hard to gander at either...

Shes a hard go for Kiera's acting talent though... man...

among others I also considered Nicole Kidman and would have went with her if not for her latest films that ooze artificiality (I invented the word). Moulon Rouge was very well executed, but there she had help from excessive dramatic effects permitted by the type of film it was...
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I've never found any actress (or actor) sufficiently good at the job to really stand out to me, but then again I watch very few movies.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 AM   #3
o_the russian

having a media studies BA, I was forced to watch and review countless films, whether I wanted to or not, on everything from camera technique, to lighting, to actor posing. I have never had to review acting or actor quality much though, it was so subjective that no prof of mine would touch such things. Theres a lot of good actors out there, its just that they dont stand out if they have awesome performance and are never called to do another film that you ever hear of again...

Like that lead actress in The Rage in Placid Lake (aussie film). I cant even remember her name, but I can remember her face and performance like it was night and day...

Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
o_uber

I like Winona Ryder.

Julia Roberts, Keisha Castle-Hughes, Renée Zellweger decent.

Last edited by o_uber; 12-30-2006 at 03:55 AM.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
o_dr zoidberg

cl_Hotlinkage 1

o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
o_nuk3m

her lips are gross dude
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
o_skanky butterpuss

apparently you have never had a blow job. you would appreciate lips like that.

anjelina jolie for me too.
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
o_uncle-argon

I like Audrey Tautou.

Most people would probably say that she isn't amazingly good looking in the traditional Hollywood sense, but I think that there is, nevertheless, something really captivating about her. She's the only actress I can think of that would make me go see a film purely because she is in it. I didn't think she did herself many favours in the Da Vinci Code, but she is generally a very good actress and has appeared in the two best foreign films of recent years (Amelie & A Very Long Engagement). The only other film I've seen her in is Dirty Pretty Things, which was also very good. Thinking about it, I should probably try and get hold of some of her other movies.

In terms of another actress, I guess the other might be Audrey Hepburn. It's probably quite crucial that each of them appear in a number of my favourite films where they both play very likable characters whilst also looking very beautiful.
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

For me it's a toss up between Uma Thurman or Kate Beckinsale. One of the things I watch in action movies is how the actor or actress handles themselves with weapons and how they move during the fighting. Uma, for example, in Kill Bill appeared very fluid as she fought. One scene of note was when she fought Lucy Lui. Lucy was was very stiff and seemed to be far less at ease with a sword than Uma. Uma was very graceful. Plus I think she's a pretty woman...loved her in Be Cool.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
o_()))crayola))_>

Hold on Russian, you said appearance secondary to talent, but you still went with Keira Knightley. Are you insane? Have you ever seen the shit she's in? She's possibly the worst actress I've ever seen.

I'm going with Uma. And this is on talent, not looks, 'cause I'm almost certain Uma is a man.
o_()))crayola))_> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
o_skanky butterpuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()))Crayola))_>
Hold on Russian, you said appearance secondary to talent, but you still went with Keira Knightley. Are you insane? Have you ever seen the shit she's in? She's possibly the worst actress I've ever seen.
umm. domino?
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Glad no one's said Natalie Portman yet. I still think her best work was with Jean Reno in The Professional and I am not sure she could ever make up for performance in the Star Wars movies...
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
o_player

I thought she did okay in V for Vendetta.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
o_dancingfool

Jean Reno is better than Portman imo, but this is the actress thread, so my favorite would have to be Halle Berry.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
o_the russian

@ uBer. Winona *is* good, I particularly liked her in the new A Scanner Darkly, Girl, Interrupted, and Alien: resurrection ... as well as The Crucible, for a young actress, 10 years ago, she was decent in it, better than most at her age.

Julia Roberts however... I know everyone loves her in Pretty Woman... but... I dont know, the taint of Oceans 11/12 is hard to clean off, no matter how much of a childrens film equivilant those two are...

Keisha Castle-Hughes is too new, IMHO, I'm guessing you chose her because you went to see The Nativity Story... and since I have not seen that, all I have to go on is her acting as Queen of Naboo in Star Wars episode 3, which was very limited... I realy dont know why you chose her, but i'm witholding judgement since I have not seen what is now her *primary* work, although I'm not sure I wish to, since its not psychologicaly tolerable as a work of entertainment by my brain at higher levels of thought... I could only percieve myself being motivated to watch it in the "Will Ferrell movie" brain mode.

Renée Zellweger... I'll leave you to your tastes as she's an ok actress but just not my cup of tea, so I couldnt give an un-biased review. No matter how tolerable Down with Love was with her post Moulon-Rouge type-casted co-star...

@ Dr. Zoidberg & Shanky .. Angelina Jolie does seem good, but the roles she gets limit her to a sexualy charged temptress and release her of quality acting responcibilities and place her in films that either lack depth or have her in roles in which she does not need to work herself to act the role right.. Toomb Raider, Original Sin, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Alexander, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Good Shepherd, A mighty Heart, Kung Fun Panda, Sin City 2...etc.. too many films with thinned down roles... but I'm witholding judgement because I do believe she has not yet been cast in a role that could show nor test her capabilities, and there *does* seem to be something there as these thin roles do seem to be "too easy" for her to perform in... if everyone could just get past the fact that she's buxom, drop dead gorgeous, and has children out of wedlock (not like thats a bad thing in my eyes), she could look for a role with real meat on it.

@ Uncle-Argon. Audrey Tautou does seem like a good actress, and I have done myself a disservice by not seeing anything beyond Amelie or TDC, but you cant blame me, as she's a french actress and I cant speak french! ... I cant find her in any other english titles other than Nowhere to Go But Up, and Dirty Pretty Things... neither of which I've seen, as I probably should.

@ Innoc. I like your choice, Uma Thurman... I'd agree that she's a very skilled actress... I loved her ever since I saw her in Gattaca, but up untill Kill Bill she had modified her persona for Batman & Robin, Les Miserables and The Avengers in such a way that it made her not my cup of tea... but she has made a strong comeback with the Kill Bill series, Paycheck, Be Cool, and even The Producers. She is more of a spectrum actress who can play both roles and types that I like, and ones that I dont... she confuses me by not being objective or picky about her roles. But I will not deny that she's very good in works that do represent her skill...

@ Crayola you obviously havnt seen her work in Pride & Prejudice, The Jacket, Domino, or Love Actually ...

she also played the role of Lara Antipova in a TV series of Doctor Zhivago absolutely excelently... and Guinevere in the UK import of King Arthur.

Kiera has excelent acting tallent, and just because she has done childrens movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, in which little talent was required, means nothing about the ham-fisted child-consumable performance, and neither Knightly's nor Depp's characters were representative of their abilities...

PS: just because James Brown cant sing, doesnt mean you have to thread-crap on my topics

PPS: She is similar to another very good actress, Natalie Portman, from V for Vendetta, Garden State, and her children's movie equivilant in recent Star Wars titles as Padme.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
o_ginger lord

+1 for Keira. It gives me hope theirs only an 18 month age gap between us.

IT CAN HAPPEN!

Also, Kate Beckinsale, Rachel Weisz, Anna Friel, Scarlet Johanssen.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
o_uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian
Keisha Castle-Hughes is too new, IMHO, I'm guessing you chose her because you went to see The Nativity Story... and since I have not seen that, all I have to go on is her acting as Queen of Naboo in Star Wars episode 3, which was very limited... I realy dont know why you chose her, but i'm witholding judgement since I have not seen what is now her *primary* work, although I'm not sure I wish to, since its not psychologicaly tolerable as a work of entertainment by my brain at higher levels of thought... I could only percieve myself being motivated to watch it in the "Will Ferrell movie" brain mode.
Don't forget Whale Rider.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #18
o_etzell

I liked Emmy Rossum in The Phantom of the Opera. Not saying that she's an amazing actress or anything, just that she played that part well.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
o_the russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I liked Emmy Rossum in The Phantom of the Opera. Not saying that she's an amazing actress or anything, just that she played that part well.
She was in one of my favorite movies of all time... Mysitc River

Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #20
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
uma ftw