Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Oh jeeze thanks player. This is an amazing tool! And I know exactly where it is.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Tip: turn all of your complex geometry brushes into func_detail; be careful, though, improperly applying func_details can leave you with multiple leaks. Make sure there are simple geometry brushes behind the func_detail where necessary to prevent leaks.

And click the image, you friendly person :P

Last edited by Player; 03-09-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
Oh jeeze thanks player. This is an amazing tool! And I know exactly where it is.
so...is that sarcasm or did you actually appreciate him helping you?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Player
D&A Member

I interpreted it as sarcasm

Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Nuk3m
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
so...is that sarcasm or did you actually appreciate him helping you?
it was actually appreciative sorry. from what i understand, there is a complex piece of geometry in which a point of the brush doesnt align with the grid, so its being assigned a point by the engine which is causing a minor gap.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Doughnut-4|4-

If you move one corner (vertices) on a cube and only one it creates an uneven surface similar to lifting up the covers on a bed, and hammer only recognizes flat surfaces so this might be related. You can also screw with the laws of geometry by turning a sphere in on itself if that makes sense; sometimes we accidentally do this when the top corner of a cube moves under the cube accidentally.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
I interpreted it as sarcasm
I know I read your deleted post...I originally didn't take it as sarcasm...then you posted that and I looked again and it did seem like sarcasm. But I didn't think nuk3m was like that...that's why I asked. And it looks like I was right, just a misinterpretation there.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Player
D&A Member

:P

Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
it was actually appreciative sorry. from what i understand, there is a complex piece of geometry in which a point of the brush doesnt align with the grid, so its being assigned a point by the engine which is causing a minor gap.
More likely complex geometry in a large open area, or complex geometry near other complex geometry.

The vertices off grid thing rarely has anything to do with it, unless the area is quite complicated already.

But you really shouldn't ever need to have a world brush with off the grid vertices.

Try turning off all your visgroups, except world geometry, and then turn off water and displacements, and just fly around. Your map should be very simple in this state, if there's any small bits, or complicated brush structures, or areas with lots of angles, turn em to func_details, displacements, or models.

When vvis runs, it slices empty space into "leafs" along the planes of your world geometry. So if you have alot of planes in one area, it can get confused, and make either a concave or inside-out leaf. For an idea of how this is bad, and how it can look, carve a block with a sphere. You get lots and lots of small weirdly shaped pieces, which vvis, and the engine, hate.

Now a portal is a the interface between two or more leafs, and a cluster is a group of leafs and the portals between them. "seeing" is a way of determining what is rendered at one time, basicly, if a line can be drawn from one leaf, through a lportal, to another leaf. So if the line is crossing the same portal twice, or a portal it shouldn't be able to, that's bad.

Just so you know, the leafs are organized into nodes, where a node "contains" either two leafs, or two nodes, or a node and a leaf. Always two things.

This is probably more than you need to know about this, but actually understanding how a BSP tree works, and how vvis creates leafs, is helpfull as you move forward with mapping.

Last edited by Mr. Happy; 03-10-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Nuk3m
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
More likely complex geometry in a large open area, or complex geometry near other complex geometry.

The vertices off grid thing rarely has anything to do with it, unless the area is quite complicated already.

But you really shouldn't ever need to have a world brush with off the grid vertices.

Try turning off all your visgroups, except world geometry, and then turn off water and displacements, and just fly around. Your map should be very simple in this state, if there's any small bits, or complicated brush structures, or areas with lots of angles, turn em to func_details, displacements, or models.

When vvis runs, it slices empty space into "leafs" along the planes of your world geometry. So if you have alot of planes in one area, it can get confused, and make either a concave or inside-out leaf. For an idea of how this is bad, and how it can look, carve a block with a sphere. You get lots and lots of small weirdly shaped pieces, which vvis, and the engine, hate.

Now a portal is a the interface between two or more leafs, and a cluster is a group of leafs and the portals between them. "seeing" is a way of determining what is rendered at one time, basicly, if a line can be drawn from one leaf, through a lportal, to another leaf. So if the line is crossing the same portal twice, or a portal it shouldn't be able to, that's bad.

Just so you know, the leafs are organized into nodes, where a node "contains" either two leafs, or two nodes, or a node and a leaf. Always two things.

This is probably more than you need to know about this, but actually understanding how a BSP tree works, and how vvis creates leafs, is helpfull as you move forward with mapping.
Hey thanks man, this helped me a lot. I didnt know much about vis groups lol. thats awesome that I can do that now, so I can see if their are leaks because i can hide all the func detals. nice

btw, doing that I found my problem and fixed it

Last edited by Nuk3m; 03-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.