View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #138
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
People who complain about sniping don't know shit about sniping. But maybe you do and I don't know shit about what I'm talking about.

However, clan people have always claimed the sniper is worthless in clan play, yet good snipers can completely dominate any map. But sure, they aren't useful at all and need to be completely reworked...cause they're just too awesome that they suck? Wait, what? Exactly.

I've never understood the sniper hatred...ever...not even since dumb TFC clan days.

I always liked constantly sniping in TFC, killing just about everyone. And I still like it in FF. Not sure where the complaints come from. Maybe I just don't understand what's always made sniper so bad even though the sniper's always been so damn good. The contradictions when it comes to sniper complaints are the most insane things I've ever read about both FF and TFC.

It's the only class capable of one-shot-one-kill, and now FF even has tagging for more team benefits (which goes back to another thing I hate about a lot of clan complaints, how apparently killing shitloads of enemies usually doesn't help the team). Oh no, it's such a horrible, worthless class.

Sorry if you didn't really mean that, Credge...but you just reminded me of something I hate when people complain about snipers being worthless.

(used to play nothing but sniper and soldier)
Well, they're just not efficient or usable in clan play. Paul Bunyan, one of the best snipers in TFC, didn't play sniper in league matches. The only time they were used in TFC was for 9v9 highlander, and even then... not really.

In a pub environment a sniper will do great. But will he get anything done? No, not really.

Anyone who makes the argument that the sniper is useful has only used on in a pub environment. In a league environment, there are several problems with him.

1. He has to prepare his shots, slowing him down as well as the general pace of the game if he plays on offense.

2. If he misses, he most prepare another shot. If he plays on defense it's a wasted line of defense.

3. He offers no map control on D and offers no speed with O. His effectiveness is severely dampened due to the fact that he has to stop and slow down in order to shoot.

4. If he's in the air, his shot fails, wasting his shot.

All of these mean that he has to be well aware and prepared for the shot... this is something that doesn't jive in league play and it's why snipers were not used in TFC for anything besides 9v9 highlander.

Now, if you want classes that are fun for pubs, then the sniper and spy are your man. However, because the sniper (and spy!) have to slow down to perform at the best they can, they are not optimal for league play. And this is why they will not be chosen in a league atmosphere by any team that is competent.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote