View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #110
o_hondolane

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A friend of mine had bought Half-Life and I was over at his house looking at the box when I turned it over and saw TFC. I fell in love with the game, that to my suprise, he hadn't even played yet. I can't remember when but this had to of been just about a year after the game had come out.

I of course went out and bought HL to play TFC... and I've never even beaten HL, I just bought it because of TFC on the back of the box. Anyway, I read that html manual that another poster talked about and I was just amazed at the number of classes you could play as. It was daunting to say the least. For the first few months of my TFC career I was quite the newb, just trying to learn all the classes and play with my friend who had the game. I just randomly went from server to server, having a good time. I played a lot of different classes but primarily played sniper, like a lot of newer players do.

I eventually lost interest in the game and left for about 6 months until cable came to my area and I picked that up. I started playing again and got more into it and the community.

Part of the reason I keep coming back to TFC after "retirements" is because of the community. No other game I know of has such a great community. And back in its peak, TFC had a gigantic community, as you all know.

I played for a while, taking advantage of my LPB status, which used to be a common acronym in servers that's no longer used because everyone's now LPBs. I finally found a server that I liked and because friends with the administrator. I soon found myself an admin of the server. I put alot of effort into it. 2FORT KINGDOM, which was primarily a 2fort map to attract players to but, after a while under my tutelage we became fairly popular and began playing mostly custom maps. Players on the server became regulars, began posting on our forums, and started coming in day after day. Everyone on the server knew everyone else, and the server was almost always full at ANYTIME of the day. We played a lot of crazy maps that no one else did but we also got our fair share of 2fort in. When I came back the 2nd time I started playing as a spy. I played as spy for about a year, and I have to tell you playing as spy is one of the most rewarding classes ever. Its such a great feeling to stab someone in the back, and no other class requires so much thinking and planning as being a spy does. To be a good spy requires a lot of practice.

After the server died I moved onto dustbowl/avanti/cornfield style of play with a decent dose of hunted too. Then I mostly played as an engineer and occassional soldier. I finally grew tired of TFC again and took a break.

I came back here and there to play but finally settled on a new server called -[U]- Clan server for my 3rd return to TFC. I met the people and eventually joined the clan. We had some fun on WON and were undefeated for awhile before we switched to STEAM which had come out just a while before.

We joined STA and had a lot of fun. We didn't win very much but we practiced all the time and had a lot of fun learning the game. The league community and my clan kept me intrigued.

Eventually our clan disbanded and I left TFC again because of boredom and real-life reasons.

Just last week a former clan member contacted me about TFC and I've started playing again in a server where an old-friend has hooked me up with admin. I'm mostly pubbing now, not interested in clans... and just getting to know all of the former players who have seemed to come back to TFC now.

TFC's a great game with a great community. No other game requires so much practice to learn the various techniques and is so rewarding. Learning to conc-jump, rocket-jump, pipe-jump, strafe-jump, bunnyhop, etc. All the techniques I learned I now find myself teaching newer players.

All the custom made maps made by the community. I could go on and on. I'm just hoping that FF rekindles not only my interest in this great game, but everyone elses because I'd love to see TFC become the popular game that it once was.
o_hondolane is offline   Reply With Quote