View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #31
angrypyro
D&A Member

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
I agree, I think buffing the sentrygun would make scout/medic play more painful than it needs to be. I'm not going to pretend I'm a good medic, but I find taking down a sentrygun a challenge, even though I've had plenty of practice. The learning curve for these classes is already crazy suicidal enough as it is.

As a medic approaching a sentrygun guarded by an engi you're fighting a class with only slightly less health/armour than you, a shotgun as good as yours, railgun, EMP and frag grenades, plus a sentry gun that deals fair damage and never misses. Sure you can try to conc past but that can be tricky, it uses one of your precious concs, and you may well still take damage. And if the engi's buddies aren't firing on you the whole time they'll be in the next room ready to fuck you up after he's had his way with you.

I can see how a stronger sentry might encourage teamwork amongst O but another thing to remember is that the sentrygun requires no skill or teamwork to plonk down. You drop it, grab a bag, wrench it, grab a bag, and you have a level 3 gun. I don't think it's really fair that something so easy for a single player to put up should require so much skill or coordination to get past. I also think the disposability aspect works well with the fast-paced nature of FF.

D should not be able to rely on sentry guns, nor should they be obliged to. I can see chilledsanity's point that a sentrygun with more push might help AvD balance, but it would fuck up the balance of CTF, which I think is pretty good as it is.

Imho, the fundamental problem with AvD is that a single scout can slip through with the flag, touch the point, and win the game. Timed capture points would go a fair way towards alleviating the enormous advantage O has, without affecting other game modes.
Medics and Scouts shouldn't be the only offensive classes though. If an SG is giving Offense a problem a Pyro, Spy, or Demo should be used to take it out.
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote