View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #465
Krylon

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
[uberlongpost]

Now that I've gotten a couple of hours on TF2, I can make fair judgement.

Before anyone jumps the gun, this isn't TF2 bashing. This is my opinion and I'm perfectly entitled to it.

I can see why some people might enjoy TF2, good for them.

Me? No way. Not a chance in hell. I feel like I've been taken into prehistoric videogaming. It's like cavemen bopping each other on the head with wooden clubs. Way too slow paced and dumbed down to enjoy. Maybe removing the respawn timer could salvage it a little, but I'm not so sure. The game is so slow, and they tried to counter that by making the players larger and the levels smaller. Bad idea. I feel like I'm constrained, and that's never a fun feeling.

Scout:
Comfortable speed, not too weak. Very little maneuverability though. Double jump is nice, but often unnecessary. The structure of the maps makes the Scout feel pointless because of the lack of freedom.

Soldier:
Way too slow, and this isn't really compensated by anything. Rockets have little effect when making impact with the environment. Usually only direct or close to direct hits are viable.

Pyro:
No comment. There's really nothing to comment about, there isn't really a class here.

Demoman:
Useless for anything but choke points, even more so than before.

Heavy:
Pretty satisfying. Not much else to say.

Engineer:
Complicated character in simplified game? He's too out of place. They should have dumbed him down more since they dumbed everything else down more.

Medic:
He works. Probably one of the only strong points of TF2's class changes.

Sniper:
Didn't really play it much. Needless to say, he doesn't seem any more fun than he used to be.

Spy:
Complicated character in simplified game? Way too out of place. Really kills the gameplay. As if the game isn't slow enough already, a Spy can just ruin it. Might be a kick for the Spy, but an overall downfall of the game.

I'm not even going to sit here and say the game sucks because there's no nades, bhopping, or that it's not like TFC or FF. That's not why it's a bad game. It's because of the dumbed down, barbaric gameplay. It's slow, and despite what people say, my experience says that it's definitely not as much team-based as before. It's more team-based in that it FORCES teamplay via medichumping, teleporters, and other aspects of the game that don't actually teach players how to operate like a team.

On a complete opposite note, the game is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL. I'm angry that Valve took 3 steps down in gameplay but 5 steps up in graphics. If I was a graphics whore I'd be all over TF2, 24/7. The graphics, interface, sounds, level design, and all the fine details are incredible...but the actual gameplay fails to deliver. GG Valve.

FF looks ugly as hell compared to TF2, and it has some pretty bad nadespam, but it takes the fast-paced complex gameplay and runs with it. It's a perfect balance for the type of game it's trying to achieve.

TF2 on the other hand, they ran WAY TOO FAR with their simplistic model. It's not a good balance of the game it needs to be. It doesn't need to be FF, but it needs to be a balanced game, in all aspects, not just classes.

[/uberlongpost]