View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #42
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Colbert and Stewart are entertainers first, but they use satire as their delivery method. Are they reporting unbiased? No, but to be human is to have an opinion and thus we are biased. How much? Well, that's the question.

For example, I'm a proponent of gun control. Do I own one? Yes. Do I think they are necessary? For sure. Do I think everyone should have one? Shit no. Do I think they should be necessary? Not in the slightest. But people suck... My bias stands on the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. I do not believe the drafters of the Bill of Rights had any intention of stating that every person needs to be armed to the teeth with every imaginable weapon. Consider what they had in the late 18th century - muzzle loading black powder firearms. That was also what their potential oppressors would be wielding as well, in addition to a few heavier pieces of artillery. Instead, it was created to provide men a buffer, a way to keep their independence if the need should ever arise again to stand against a corrupt government.

So I am biased, but far from extreme. I believe in personal rights but also in the need for a restriction on how far those rights extend. If everyone respected the rights of others then we would never enter into these arguments. I despise those who would try to force me to see their way, and only their way, by shoving their ideals and beliefs down my throat. The opportunity to look at the facts, often buried in layers of burning sarcasm and ridicule, is what our fake news pundits offer. They don't tell us how to think, what to believe, who to listen to. Rather, they point out who is being totally fucking ridiculous and hope that we will see that there is no right way to do anything in this world. Ambiguity is the game, but we layer it with "our way" and tell everyone else this is how it is, how it is going to be or fuck you.

I saw a Facebook post today someone shared that had a gas pump with a sticky not on it. It commented on the fact that gas prices were 1.80 a gallon when Obama was elected and now are reaching record highs. That is completely true, however (always a however), he didn't cause it. It's a result of our increasing dependance on foreign fossil fuels, market inflation, regional unrest, stabilizing economy (people drive more when they're more secure in their financial lives), and the fact that gas was so damned low then because the economy tanked. Yet most people refuse to see more than the surface, that top layer of caked on bullshit and mascara which hides the ugly truth they don't like. We still elect people based on how we feel about them, how they look, what they project, far more than we do their scruples, ideas, voting history, ethics, or any aspect of a person that really makes for a good lawmaker.

So until we educate the masses about what really matters in their candidates, we will be constantly fucked and unhappy with what someone else is doing in a building a long ways away. And that they'll be doing it with our money...

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.