Thread: (Released) conc_school (9.12.09)
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
What were you doing? :P
Well when I started out I was making one huge block for the room, then I would add another block on top of that so that it was raised from the floor and there was a jump area, same with the walls, they were one huge block to surround the room and then that same block that made the jump part also covered part of the wall.

This was fine until I started texturing it and noticed that a huge percent of my map was getting textured (walls and floor) that really didn't need to be. So I started going back and cutting the parts that I didn't need and making separate blocks, this started to jack up things b/c in a lot of parts I had two different rooms (sometimes 3) sharing a common wall, so when I cut it or added a trim or whatever then it was messing up the other side and the other room.

I spent probably about 2hours trying to clean everything up when I finally decided to scrap it and just restart...took me about 5hours to get everything back to where it was (still missing 2 rooms that I had before) but in the long run, I think it was better.

Also a lot of my sizes were just arbitrary like 34 unit thick walls in some places and like 12 in others, and just really random height sizes, so it is much cleaner now...I have 8 unit thick walls everywhere and anywhere there is a common wall there is actually 2 8 unit thick walls. And I am using multiples of 8 for the walls and floors always. Plus with my new texture, I was able to go through and get the right look for each wall now cause I know what theme I'm using as opposed to trying to fit it into the map later on like I was doing before.

Nothing major I guess, but it would have bugged the hell out of me knowing stuff was there like that.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote