View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #82
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Yeah, there are four flags, but you get points for each one you have at your base. I think I'll give a bonus if you cap all four, because that should be pretty tough to accomplish.

I don't remember how flagrun was scored. Did you only get points for getting all the flags?

I think the original flagrun can be improved a lot without changing the layout much. For one thing there's a lot of empty space that serves no purpose, yet other parts seem claustrophobic. I'd open up the middle ground, but still provide plenty of cover. That's one thing I like about the original, especially playing pyro.

The neutral flag spawn is rather awkward. There's no need to put them in that tower. I've played in games where a flag returned and people forgot about it for a long time. It just sat there in the tower.

One thing I really don't like is how flagrun does the exits from the midfield into enemy territory. They are these big boring wide tunnels (with an obvious curve for vis-blocking) that aren't fun to attack or to defend. I'd either find a way to make them shorter or put in some spots for defeners and sentries, making them good spots for front-line defense.

Then you come out into an open area in which you have to either mulch or rush past any defenders. Sometimes it's used for first line defense, but since it's not a chokepoint, it's not often used. I probably wouldn't change this too much, because this space acts as a buffer between the offense and the flags. A little better cover and height variation would not hurt.

Then you go into the flag area which has very narrow stairs and corridors. I'd definitely open these up a bit because they are prone to blocking. With cloaking, a spy could really terrorize the defense in here.

The spawns are good, they are well connected to the rest of the map. There's a potential for spawn camping off the battlements, but it's not a big problem with the amount of traffic coming out.
I don't think capping all the flags gave any bonus on flagrun, because in the long run, it wouldn't add any sigficance to the score. 4 flags = 40 points. an extra bonus of 10 points wouldn't matter if the other team also caps the 4 flags, because then they would also get the bonus points, and the scores would even back out. At least, i think that's why there were no bonus points.

Yea i didn't like the tunnel thing either. The reason i like flag run so much is because there's was that huge entrance into the flag room, and then a small entrace to the side. The flag room itself is a big dm arena lol. but people like me, who play scout could just conc-circle the sentry, then conc back out, without being bogged down by dm matches. But if i went as a soldier or spy, i actually welcomed some DM action.

The neutral flags were a pain in the rear. I didn't see any point in them either. Post pics and goodies of progess? I LUVs ctf maps with multiple flags and big rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Speaking of Casbah, I've played a version that's been ported over and changed a bit. It's a great map, I'll link it up after I get off work(In about 5 hrs... O NOES TEH SUHSPENSE!!!1)
Awsome. I've been hoping for a remake/port of this map. I'm gonna want to check this one out for definite. The good maps are starting come in!
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote