View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Certainly, the class names is a big issue. Translating them can make it easier for players that don't understand English to get a small idea of what each class does, but translating Demoman (Experto en explosivos) is too long and probably would "kill" the hints (not fitting in the hint space) due to excessive lenght.

However, translating only some while leaving other in English may look like unpolished or just plain weird. Either translate it all, or leave it in English a la TF2.

Weapons and buildables should be translated, if possible. So I would use "Arma Centinela", "Dispensador", etc. The mancannon/jump pad, I think it should be translated as "Pad/pod de salto" (choose whichever sounds better); even if it's not a complete translation, most gamers can get an idea that "pad" or "pod" is used to reference a hi-tech device (although "pod" makes me think more of robots, but w/e).

Detpack is a tricky one. Literaly it's "Paquete Bomba", but as many of the translations you may run out of space in the hint/weapon selection menu. However we don't know yet, so it's probably better to use this direct translation unless there are confirmed issues about length.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote