Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #445
TheKing

Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post
Again, I personally get by you 80% of the time. But saying that in order for us to avoid you, we have to play defense, is negating the whole purpose of having an offense, or playing it, which takes the learning curve away from newer players who want to experience the offensive side of the game (and by that, I mean not experience a laser camping their base entrance 24/fucking/7.). And all of this pretty much rounds right back into Born's discussion in his other thread. "Elephant # 1 - Defense vs. Defense." By you playing the sniper across the yard, cancels out the learning curve of newer offensive players, thus "forcing" them to play defense. And when they go defense, they find it easier, thus prefering to play it more just to avoid that same laser. They develop defensive skills and well, there you have it. Snipers aren't broken, but they brake the game.
I was responding to Bridget's assertion that a demoman's pipe trap is a situation that you can avoid where a sniper in the yard is not. My point was that if you're going for the flag you 100% MUST get through the pipetrap on security (if there is security) or on the flag (there's ABSOLUTELY no way around this one) just like you MUST get past the sniper in yard (if there's no alternate route). If you're not playing offense you can easily avoid both. I'm not sure how that makes me look like a dick? Do you disagree with this assessment?

I haven't read much of the 'defense vs defense' thread but I would argue that offense in general is more difficult for new players because the defense gets the luxury of deciding where to set up and best take advantage of their respective class' situational advantages (where new offensive players might not yet fully understand all of the tools at their disposal).

Further, they might not understand that dying a lot more as an offensive player is expected and they might quit when their deaths start racking up. I understand that fortress points are there to try to help direct players towards objective based play, but perhaps adding the TFC feature of awarding kills upon flag capture might help with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post
And I'm sure you might have something intellegent to say against this or disagree with what I'm saying or w/e, I don't give a shit. But the point stands as is. You're not fair to the newer players that are trying to learn something about this game.

And I believe what you stated above makes you look more like a dick then someone who is trying make a point about snipers.
How am I not being fair to new players?

BTW there's no need to get on the defensive in a personal way before I even respond - I won't insult you personally unless you come at me with personal insults. I'm only trying to lay down my points and have them heard just like you are and while I will attack an opinion that I think is very wrong, I won't do it in a disrespectful way and I'm not proving anything about your point by doing so. Your opinion is valued and while we might disagree I appreciate everyone's input. I understand that a lot of kids play this game and many of these discussions just turn into flame wars, but that's not why I'm here.

Last edited by TheKing; 02-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.