View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #42
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hmmnn...let's see... The first experience I had with "online" multiplay DM was on DWANGO....played a little qwtf...but did not catch fire until Half Life. I picked up HL early in 99 and, over the summer, I started crossing paths with a few THD Clan members. They were nice and good players. Pyrocat stands out most in my mind. At that time I started getting interested in 3 Clans. Talked with THD, CA and 30+. 30+ was tougher to get into as I seem to recall that it was invite only. After talking with Xarnon in THD and spending some time pubbing with him and a few other members I was invited to join. Played few matches. One of the most memorable was the match against a Euroclan DICE where the lag was horrendous....I was D on the 2fort Elevator. By the time I realized that someone had jumped down the elevator and detted the pipes he was already on the bridge with the flag....nice....

Old story....but THD blended with CA and VYL to form Resurgence. With the dynamic personalities within Resurgence it's days were numbered. Out of it's ashes 404 was formed and I followed my friends and clanmates and have been there ever since.

The old netcode had it's pros and cons....one the the best HPB snipers I ever saw was my very own clanmate Arcane. No one EVER sniped like him with a 600 ms ping...

People who's only experience is pubbing or even teamplay on TPF servers miss alot of the experience. There is nothing in this world like playing a match. The Rush of Adrenalin....the joy...the frustration....but when your team is all synced up...there's no feeling like it at all.

I ran a server myself for years and was one of the chief architects of 404-LN....which was the Late Night contingent....whether we were clowning around on a 404 server or invading various public servers (who can forget 6 SG's in the water of 2morfort and our soldiers knocking the flag carriers into the water.......) we always had fun. Along those lines FNF (Friday Night Fights) was formed. A precursor to this was a webpage I crafted after a particular nasty go round with league admins over a clan that 404 did not have any particular love for... I called it the "LFL" or Llama-free League....it was, in part, that upon which FNF came to be formed on...particularly memorable was the night Fisich fell asleep while admining....

Personally, the game changed dramatically with the loss of the Super Powerful concs and the change of the mirvs. There were other things I did not like....reducing the power of the pyro...few things more fun than burning snipers through the roof of the Snipers Deck in fort.... And I did not like the "new" netcode.... Then other things as vALVE seemed to facelift the game to make it easier for newbs (IMO). Part of the fun of the game was the effort it took to master certain things.....back in the day....we could go coast to coast in Rock2 in seconds....exploit the door to the gas chamber and have invulnerability to get us back to the office....annoying? Yeah...we'd eventually run out of concs....speaking of which...I got booted off of Yiffy Foxies for concing with the flag. "It's an exploit and you were warned" was the explanation I received...whatever!

Anyway, seemed like the community eventually turned nastier or maybe I grew less tolerant. Too many mouthy punks running their mouths. I eventually left IRC and online play. I am excited at the prospect of FF but I am hesitant to go back to online play just because of how people behave....or I might build a new server so I can send the jerks to where they belong....permaban....

ok...file this under tl;dr
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote