View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #66
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Actually sabotage might not last long, either.
Well shit, that backfired on me. I was using that as an example of something else cool that has similar dynamics to infection spreading, not as a supporting argument to remove that TOO. Seriously, what's the incentive to remove fun features like this? Wouldn't keeping them as server side options satisfy both sides? There are already servers that advertise "clan rules" in the name, this wouldn't be much different.

Quote:
I can't believe you're trying to compare the random encounter of an enemy bumping into his own teammate to ultimately gain you an additional kill (or force the person to die) to the skill involved in trying to sabo an sg.
Good thing that's not what I'm doing then huh? I'm comparing it against the trying to infect an enemy unit. An alert engineer makes it hell for spies to try and sabotage the sg. An infecting medic doesn't have much of a chance against an alert player, which is why I don't think this is even much of an issue for something like clan play. Now a spy can EASILY sabotage a clueless engineer's sg, just as a medic can easily infect a clueless enemy. With the ass-tastic melee hit detection of FF, it's not the same walk in the park it was in TFC.

You're providing a lot of anecdotal evidence. I'm in no way suggesting sabotaging doesn't take a lot of skill, I'm saying I think your impression of there being no skill involved with the medic is founded on a false understanding of the tactic.

Quote:
No the medic dedicated to the infection spreading runs around high traffic areas. They don't pick their targets
See right here you're projecting your own impression of the medic and completely ignoring what I said about the tactics involved. That's like me saying spies never communicate with their team and always sabotage as soon as they can. That's mostly what I see, but I don't assume that's what all spies do. That's like saying all demomen do is pipe the spawn instead of the flag. I think you're relying too much on your assumptions about what other players will do.

Quote:
This has been one of the worst comparisons i've ever read, spy sabotaging sg's compared to infection spread, rofl.
Okay, "rofl", that makes you sound like you're making a legitimate point. And yeah it's the worst comparison you've ever read, that's why I leave a list of logical backing arguments and similarities.

Quote:
Oh! and once a spy does it once or twice, the defense is on their toes even more, making it even harder. A medic can repeatedly run in to infect with very very minimal difficulty, yet with spreading the damage can be exponential compared to an sg. 1 infect could equate to infinite kills theoretically being able to kill the same guy more than twice.
Yeah that might be true if no one on the team decided to switch to medic. Just like sabotaging an sg wakes the team up, so does getting infected. An enemy medic healing infections makes infecting even more worthless than trying to re-sabotage. In fact an enemy medic can discourage the behavior entirely forcing new tactics. This comes to the strategy again. If you infect at the right timing, before the enemy decides to get a medic, it can be more effective than starting it right from the get-go.