View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
No one knows what bhop is.

So I'm a stubborn ass hole and I keep getting mad when my friend chastises games for not having strafe jumping. I keep telling him these games don't need it because they have bhop. But his point is the game can have air control, but use strafe jumping for faster acceleration, and bhop for sharp corners and shit. Which makes sense and isn't all that bad, but I'm a stubborn asshole and I won't admit that.

So I set out to see if strafe jumping or bhoping garners faster acceleration in cpma, because I was dead set to show my friend strafe jumping is gay and will give you cancer.

What I found out is that nobody fucking knows what q1/sourcegame bhop is. I found a thread on the QL forums about the difference between the two, and it was an unholy painful to read. There was a lot of dumb shit thrown around in it. So I boot up cpma myself to find out.

Apparently I'm a fucking idiot, because, strafe jumping does accelerate you faster. Which makes sense I suppose. Determined that I was bad at cpma and getting false results I launched irc to talk to somebody who knew what they were talking about.

It was an annoying conversation, full of terms that have duel meanings depending on where you come from, that confirmed strafing is faster.

The thing is, in pretty much every game but q1/source games, bhop is a term used for "consecutive jumps" and most people don't hold the strafes and mouse movements to the term.

In conclusion, the internet's gay and so is strafe jumping.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 09-04-2012 at 12:48 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote