View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #41
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
I think there is much we would probably disagree on relative to the interpretation of original intent. As far as this thread goes perhaps you might be able to see why I was inferring a liberal position on your part? You mention rewriting the Constitution in a thread about Socialized Healthcare. Were you meaning to associate those two things? If so does that mean you believe that the Gov't should force, through economic penalty/punishment, the people to procure health insurance whether they want to or not?

As to original intent and the broader, but related, subject matter...that's probably decent fodder for a different thread.
First, I posted about the Constitution because some talk of it came about it in this thread, concerning the mandate, I believe.

As for whether or not the Federal Government is allowed to force people to buy something under the Constitution, well, that's up in the air, as to my knowledge, the Constitution does not say yes or no on the matter.

I do, however, believe that the individual mandate is a good idea, and so did some Republicans.

Why? Well, for one thing, if somebody gets really sick without any warning, they go to the emergency room. Guess who has to pay for the visit if they don't have insurance? Taxpayers. The mandate forces people to take some responsibility for themselves, so we don't have to cover their medical expenses.

Do I think that the government should force me to buy a car, a TV, or a banana? No. Do I believe it should require me to purchase health insurance? Yes, I do, because if I don't, it's irresponsible towards both myself and other people. People are required to have car insurance for the same exact reasons. I don't see conservatives in a furor over that.

Last edited by SizeableSSonic; 04-03-2010 at 02:37 AM.
SizeableSSonic is offline   Reply With Quote