Thread: ffdev roll call
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #117
Powerlord

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon View Post
I think FF's style is all over the place without a cohesive art direction keeping it together overall, which makes it difficult to read compared to a game like TF2. FF isn't terrible by any stretch, but it could be better. It could also have more titties, but unfortunately we don't always get everything we want.
I'm glad this is on your radar for the remake.

If anything, the classes should look and sound totally different from each other (even though they're drawn in the same style) just so you can tell classes apart at a distance. Silhouettes are the exact place to start for this and Valve commented as such in the TF2 commentary maps.

Now, for a different subject: As much as I want to support Valve and encourage you to use Source 2, it doesn't look like anyone has access to the Source 2 dev kit yet outside of Valve. Meaning that if you want to start actual game development anytime soon, you need to use Unreal 4.

That in turn presents a problem for those of us who write server plugins (I write a lot of them for TF2 and other games, including exposing the game's vote UI to other server plugins). Right now, as far as I'm aware, I can write SourceMod plugins that will run on Fortress Forever. If it were a Source SDK 2013 game, I'd be able to do it there, too. Chances are SourceMod will be adapted for Source 2 when it comes out as well.

I have no clue how to write server plugins for Unreal 4 and chances are it's not similar in the slightest.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Powerlord is offline   Reply With Quote