View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #47
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Also:

Isn't this how it's always worked already...?
No it's not. If you cloak and stand for like 5 seconds, you can decloak and recloak immediately.

I've been pestered by many a spy's that hide in a corner or something while cloaked, shoot their tranq at you then immediately recloak.

Some players dedicate entire games to this, not going for the flag, or defending theirs, just tranq/recloak/repeat.

Quote:
as right now you can slowly creep into a map undetected and grab the flag, at which point everyone knows where you are. Or you can conc in there at top speed with medic or scout and grab the flag, and you're in the same position.
No you're not in the same position, the medic or scout has had to fly past any defense in the way to get to the flag, by the time they reach the flag defenders already know you're there, the sg could have already been tracked on them, some form of defense is aware.

With no form of detecting the cloaked spy when he reaches the flag, the front line D is still in the front line, the sg hasn't been able to track allowing for flag pushes.

I'm not out to flame the beta testers here but I'm not sure all of them are really thinking objectively. You say it seems balanced when you test and it works and all that. But seriously you ALL know what you're doing, every single one of our beta testers is an experienced player of some kind. How on earth can you possibley think you can replicate a pubbing experience? Oh i'm sure you can mimic some stereotypes in a pub and act like griefers and do stupid things.

But when push comes to shove, you know what and how to stop something. If a spy is sneaking in (and we'll keep using SD2 as an example but it goes for many maps as well) through the plank repeatedly you guys know how to adjust, you're more coordinated and filled with communication. It's instinct for any experienced player.

But lets take a true legitimate group of noobs mixed with some vets, in a pub environment, there's very little communication, the vets take advantage of the noobs lack of skill and communication (hell we do it now), but atleast now there IS a way for a noob to protect himself. Sometimes there's another vet around to help protect the inexperienced but that's not always the case.

How much fun do you possibly think it will be for a new person to the game to be continuously harassed, raped and dominated by something they can't see don't know how to look for and have absolutely no way of countering?

Atleast now a beginner if he keeps getting backstabbed and capped on as a solly knows and understands he can switch to engineer atleast for the sole purpose as not to be surprised by a ghost.

What's he got going for him now? Just call on another vet for help? There won't always be one around or free to help him out. Even now I've seen many times people leaving because they get sick of being dominated so hard. Hell i've seen vets leaving because a group of other vets on the other team is dominating him since he appears to be the only one who knows whats going on while the rest of his team is being completely random.

Vets and noobs a like need some form of countering something else, it's not like 1 sg defends an entire base, but atleast 1 sg defends from surprises in its designated area and in it's radius of defense people can NOT be paranoid, while stepping out of that area opens it up to anything.

Defending an sg with noobs around will become a 2 man job, since a spy can sit and wait in a corner in plain sight of the sg and wait for the engy to run for a pack, he can slowly move forward. Hell he can sit on the opposite side of the sg while cloaked and still wait for the engy to leave. Will there need to be a soldier nearby one at all times now just to shoot randomly at the sg incase a spy has slipped by and is just waiting next to it for the opportune time to sab it?
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote