View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #25
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon View Post
I'd say the plan is to continue what we're doing now, updating and maintaining the current version of FF, but also start making a sequel of sorts.

Basically, I see a sequel being "the ultimate TF game" with lots of modding capabilities and extensive workshop integration to where we have a base "FF2" made as well as some kind of mode swapping to play original FF as well as TFC and even QWTF. You could get a workshop mod of FF that let's you play neotf for example. Or more specifically, I see me making a hunted mode that's a more involved hunted style not in the default version of FF, like with civilian AI, singleplayer, cutscenes, etc. Not just a map but a whole game of its own.
It sounds - if you're happy to stick with the source engine, and happy to be opensource - that evolving FF to this point would save you the most effort.

I've always thought that the best idea we had with FF was using Lua scripting to build the map / game logic. With enough hooks into the engine you can pretty much build any game type and players can switch between them just by loading a new map.

Perhaps then you should consider the next step to be to split that off to be the core platform?

The rest of FF - the player movement physics, the models, the weapon and projectile logic, buildables, etc, becomes the "Fortress Forever" workshop mod that runs on your platform. Maps could be separate workshop items and each one contains the game logic (CTF, hunted, etc.)

Then one day somebody wants to make TFC:S. They build/port the models, write the TFC version of the player movement/weapon/projectiles/buildables and release the TFC:S workshop mod. Now players have the entire library of FF maps on which to play authentic TFC. Then somebody else ports QWTF. Then somebody builds something new and unexpected...
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.