View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Dylstew

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Damage on soldier and heavy.

With the Super Shotgun I came to this conclusion for the amount of hits needed to kill someone:

The Super Shotgun does 54 damage, I have 8 shots.

scout=2 (75 health 30% armor= 16.2 absorbed = 37,8 damage)
Sniper= 3 (90. 30% armor=16.2% absorbed, 37,8 damage)
Soldier= 10 ( 100 health, 80% armor = 43.2 absorbed, 10,8 damage. Technically 9,2 hits.)
demoman= 5 (90 health, 60% armor = 32.4 absorbed, 21,6 damage. Technically 4,1)
medic= 5 ( 90 health, 60% armor = 32.4 absorbed, 21,6 damage. Technically 4,1)
hwguy= 10 (100 health, 80% armor = 43.2 absorbed, 10,8 damage. Technically 9,2 hits.)
pyro= 5 ( 100 health, 60% armor = 32.4 absorbed, 21,6 damage)
spy= 5 ( 90 health, 60% armor = 32.4 abosbred, 21,6 damage)
engineer= 3 ( 80 health, 50% = 27 absorbed. 27 damage)

With most the number are fine, especially considering you have a super nailgun as well, but damn, almost 10 for heavy and soldier? Which I could get for heavy, but also soldier? I get that the soldier has 4 shots with high reload time and is slow but his rockets are pretty easy to use. I have grenades, but so does the soldier. I guess that wouldn't be too much of a problem if there were like, 2 soldiers, but there's usually a lot of them. The grenade made me wonder, if I throw a frag grenade at a soldier or heavy, how many mid range Super Shotgun hits would I need to do to kill them?

So 80% damage reduction, and a 145 damage grenade would be 29 damage.
100 - 29 = 71 health. 71 : 10,8 = 6,5. So that's 7 hits with the shotgun. That's still pretty high. I know I'm a newbie, but It just doesn't seem right to me.

So what damage does a soldier do to me?
He has 4 rockets, each 102 damage. as a medic my armor is 60%. I absorb 61.2 damage. 102- 61.2 = 40,8 damage. I have 90 health. 90: 40,8 = about 2,2 so let's say 3 hits, 2 if I'm already damaged. If he misses there's still splash damage.

so for the classes we have:
Scout : Offense, but can't really DM
Sniper: Defense/Support
Soldier: Defense/Hybrid
Demoman: Defense/hybrid
Medic: Offense/Support
Heavy: Defense
Pyro: Hybrid
Spy: Offense
Engineer: Defense

So the DM classes are:
Soldier, Demoman, Medic, Heavy, Pyro and Spy.
I think Heavy's weapon is really boring.
Pyro is less interesting than the rest imo, but the canon makes
him pretty fun.
The Medic has the thing with the damage I just explained.
I get he's Offense/support instead of Defense/hybrid, but like I said it just doesn't seem right.
Spy has the cloak/disguise/backstab stuff, making it a different type of DM.
Because of this, the most fun I had in the game was either with Demoman or Soldier. Spy is also really fun, but like I said in a different way.
It just kind of makes me wish Medic was at least a little bit stronger against Soldiers and Heavies. Do they really need an 80% damage reduction on 100 health?

I realize this game's been out for a long time and that it's based on TFC and QWTF so major changes would be difficult, but as an outsiders perspective, it's rather strange, and I think the majority of newbies will find it strange. I get people don't want it to be TF2 where classes can feel too similar in terms of power, but this is a bit much imo. Maybe this stuff is not an issue in comp, but it is in pubs, at least to me.

Last edited by Dylstew; 03-28-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote