Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
There are some edges I would like to try and remove, but the edge to the exit vent isn't one of them. I would prefer the map to be smoother overall, but that may take some geometrical tinkering that is beyond my patience and skill. I'll do my best to reduce the edges, though.
I found it usually occurred in the pipes (because they are raised up) and at the O spawn near the ladders. It may also be a problem in the flag room, but it's not as noticeable.

Quote:
I don't want to change the vent because you can hop from spawn platform to the vent without getting stuck. It's kinda like the tunnel exit on Phantom where you jump from tunnel to the landing on the stairs to avoid getting caught in the water.
What I meant is that you should be able to just walk on to the vent and the little raised platform it's on. The edge looks visually too low to require a jump. Is confusing.

Quote:
It is not really designed for pubs or large unorganized formats. So, yes the yard DM is an issue, but it's not really on my to-do list because it's a map geared towards organized play. The same goes for the spawn teleporter, sorry Offensive Heavies
I know it's not really a public map, but looking at other maps that are designed for competitive play, they are always somewhat playable on a public environment. The best ones even coerce the teams into playing the maps like they're supposed to be played and not devolving into midmap DM fests. Other competitive maps don't have the yard DM problem because you can conc past the people in the yard, use a water route, etc.

Quote:
I'll look into adding another entrance somewhere on the map. Maybe I can come up with something good.
Your map reminds me of one of my favorite TFC maps: bloodtube. Same closed-in space theme going on. That map has 4 entrances: the two main tubes that go between the bases, another tube that comes in at the rear of the base, a battlements entrance, and finally a hole in the ceiling near the flag room.

With 4 little holes that funnel into a single entrance, that choke point can be brutal--yard DM is a big problem. When you have to artificially enforce rules like no yard D, it's generally because the map itself has a flaw in the layout. While people might get pissed off at yard D on other maps (and thus ban it), those maps are still playable even with someone defending in the yard. Perhaps the primary passage between bases should be sewer tunnels at the O spawn which open into a wider area (yard which is harder to hold as a choke). The entrance to the base would still be closed-in, but via the pipe tunnels instead. The 4 holes in the top could stay, or maybe be rerouted into a fall-down tube that goes into the O spawn? Not really sure how this would affect the balance of the map, just some suggestions to lower the yard lockdown.

Quote:
Sniper is a defensive class in my mind, but that's another issue for another day. I guess it should be turned off to follow through with the organized theme of the map, but it's not allowed in current organized play so I doubt I'll be changing this either.
Sniper is a defensive class, but generally defends in the yard. That's why I suggested moving him to the offensive spawn. He shouldn't be turned off though, unless the map layout isn't really conducive to snipers.

Last edited by Agent Buckshot Moose; 04-04-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote