View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raum View Post
solution: just a theory, moving the game to a better (suitable) game engine.
I find everyone who suggests this doesn't really have a clue as to how much work is involved with this. Here are reasons this is a bad idea:

1. Another game engine is very time consuming to learn, look how much time it takes for some of the patches, I doubt devs have enough time to just throw it all out to learn another engine.

2. Another engine will almost certainly be better in some ways, worse in others. They ALL have some bugs, and some are better documented than others.

3. I could be mistaken, but I believe no other engine has near the number of online players for mods than Source. Sure, something Unreal 3 has a lot of mod tools now and is big in the industry, but it doesn't have the same kinds of numbers of online players Source mods do. This probably goes double for FF, which at least attracts SOME people over from TF2, or previously TFC.

4. Assuming everything else can be ported, which is iffy, FF already uses a lot of assets like models and textures from HL2. This would all have to be replaced or redone.

5. THE GAME WORKS AND IS RELEASED. All the hard work is DONE. It's suicide to try another engine unless you're setting the scope of things far lower than what FF has achieved already (stock models, textures, animations, etc.).
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote