View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #39
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Well this thread is about how to keep new players:

1- I think training is fabulous. The map is beautiful and very helpful. It could go a bit further, cleaner. Here is what I mean:

It opens up and I select HW. I run forward and get switched to scout...... I wanted HW training.... Would be nice to learn about the hw specific things. Like not overheating the AC and what overpressure does. Might require a new stage and trigger_teleport but I can see some duck hunt style shooting or something to that effect. This idea can be applied to all classes. and implemented in a way that shows their intended use as well as a few easy strategies. Like detdispenser....

I truly feel though that people (or kids) nowadays don't want to have to learn anything. They want to pick up a game and play. Kill shit, DM (tf2). Not to say there isn't a learning curve- it just isn't as steep. I'm not sure how this gets players to stay. Noobs still show up and 9 times out of 10 get rocked by someone who can bhop and understands air control and weapon switching and has a config for their classes (most the community). So they play defense with the other 6 guys and get bitched at for building a 3rd sg (hypothetically of course).

I've seen plenty of new people come in, and say they really liked the game but never stuck around.... Not sure why.

I also think a lot of the community can be closed minded to noobs. The majority of the people who are still here are used to playing with the same people. And like it or not some of them are pickup people who prefer an organized-ish game rather than some retarded spamfest where 1 team caps on no defense AND has no defense. Why make an offense and a defense?

Someone in an earlier post (think it was billy) said stick to your strengths. AMEN to that.
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote