View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Have you ever had an alcoholic (or any other form of substance abuse) parent/family member/friend, that you were close with, and had daily interactions with? If you haven't, have you at least seen the show on A&E, called Intervention? I can say from first-hand experience, that control doesn't fix problems. My father was an alcoholic, and one day he was 'forced' to try and fix his illness. He became sober, but another problem arose--his anger. He was then 'forced' into fixing his anger. After his anger was 'fixed' another problem arose, he found a new drug to abuse, cocaine. You get the point? His problem was not the usage of emotional outlets (drugs and anger), the problem was something inside. Something was bothering him. Eventually he went back to drinking, and became the old person he was before we tried to 'fix' him. One day, his father got ill, and died in the hospital. I never got the chance to ask my father what bothered him so much that he drank, he unfortunately passed away a few years ago, but after the death of his father, he was a new man. Something happened between him and his father that made him what he was, and no amount of therapy, no drug, no nothing could have fixed him, unless the ROOT of his problem was solved.

The same thing happens in that show I mentioned, Intervention. Getting people off a drug is not a solution. It's a temporary band-aid. What will end up happening, is another, newer, problem will arise. Then you get to the point where, you realize the problem is not substance abuse, but a psychological problem that needs to be addressed. It's like a game of whack-a-mole. You push one problem away, and another arises. Control is not the answer to problems, addressing the root cause of the problem is.
What about when the root cause of the problem is at least partially genetic, like has been proven with alcoholism? The simple fact is that alcoholism, along with other addictions, is a LOT more complex than you give it credit for in passing.

The fact that you claim it can be "fixed" demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the problem itself. There's no fix for alcoholism. You're never over it, you're never fixed, it's a constant battle.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote