View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #94
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
This has been addressed. Each achievement would have tiers, in which they would get progressively harder. If you can't do an achievement, it becomes an indicator of your progress, and you work on the lower end achievements until you better yourself. For example, no one expects a beginner to just pick up the Soldier and airshot someone. So, we do something like so:

1 Pop a player into the air by shooting at their feet.
2 Pop a player into the air and then kill them with the shotgun before they fall.
3 Pop a player into the air and kill them with splash damage.
4 Pop a player into the air and kill them with a direct hit.

If the player finds it difficult to pull off 4, then he will try his skills at pulling off achievement 3. If he can't do achievement 3, then he falls back to achievement 2. Ideally, each achievement should provide the skill necessary for pulling off the next achievement in the tier system.

Now, I have no problem with repetitive tasks here. I just now realize they can be used for good by allowing a player to polish his skills. If he can pop someone into the air and shotgun them, perhaps he wants to do it a couple more times to confirm he can consistently pull it off. Sure, that's fine. However, I don't like achievements that repeat hundreds or thousands of times and repeat useless actions (jump 1,000 times, spin in a circle 500 times, etc) which is what I see being suggested.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote