View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #167
TheKing

Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
There is no way I'm gonna go through this entire thread and I'm 100% certain that all of my points have been thoroughly discussed, but here's my opinion anyways for whoever cares:

The sniper is underpowered
We really need to give it some more power so that it's used in league play guys.

That being said, any class (even the underpowered sniper) in the right hands is frustrating and 'overpowered' because the player might be really really good. Yeah I feel like CUJO makes the sniper overpowered in the same way that some of the soldiers that I've seen make that class overpowered. They're really fucking good. If you've been playing a class for 10+ years you're probably gonna annoy people.

The sniper most definitely has counters
Try avoiding spies on congestus. The counter to the sniper does depend on the map, but spies are an excellent counter to a sniper on 95% of maps (see next point).

Stop pointing out Aardvark
It seems like this is the only example of a map where snipers are sooo powerful that you can't get past them. First, practice your conc jumping and you really will get past me >= 50% of the time on aardvark (and that's if I'm only worrying about you AND you're only a decent conc jumper); I've got one shot on the fast classes and if I miss it's already too late to get off another. Second, all classes have particular maps that are ideal for their particular skill set. If aardvark is your only major example for the sniper then I think I can live with that.

The sniper punishes you for going after them with magical radiotags and legshots?
Yeah, the soldier punishes you for going after him with a rocket down your throat and the pyro by setting your ass on fire. 'Go after' any class at your own risk.

The sniper doesn't 'fit in' because it's a long range class
The pyro doesn't 'fit in' because it's the only class that can burn you. The medic doesn't 'fit in' because it's the only class that can infect you (as a side note, the only counter to a medic's infection is another medic). Just because a class' unique abilities are frustrating doesn't mean they don't fit in. Fuck yeah it's frustrating to get infected, burned, stabbed, conced, sniped, etc. Remove all of those abilities then because they are both annoying and unique to a particular class (or two for the conc).

I personally think that we should ONLY allow soldiers and scouts. All of the other classes are 'broken' because they frustrate me when they're good at what they do.

OK that's as dirty as my hands are getting with this conversation.

Flame war continued below

Last edited by TheKing; 01-20-2010 at 08:12 PM.